APC Forum

Various Accidents and Injuries

BigBang

Zeus, great sharing your story. People can learn from it.

I'm pretty curious about someone else's accident, but I think he will never tell. I think most people here know who I'm talking about.

It's good to learn from each others mistakes, it would and it does make our passion a lot safer.

maybe next year

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boomer

• artificier

• Mumbles

• oskarchem

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LMAO when I was about 15, I got a Pete Piccolo firework. I grounded all powder in it out, pour it into a empty pills bottle then put cap on it and poke hole in it then place a fuse in it. I stand it in the sand and scoop sand all around it. I lit the fuse...

Unfortunately, the fuse burn faster than I expected. As I was running, got hit on back of my neck, arm, hand, and calf. Had a couple blisters from it for a couple days.

• 2 months later...

Don't hold fireworks in hand and light. This was 20 some years ago when I was younger and stupider. I lit a flash based salute on the Mall in D.C. after the fireworks show was done. I went to toss it and hesitated because there were people closer than I expected where I had planed to throw it. It blew just as I tossed it. It split two fingers almost all the way around at their bases, blew my shirt off, burned me... Lesson learned, after that stuff that sparkled and flew became much more fun than booms for me. Oh and my ears still ring to this day.

http://shortwave5.smugmug.com/photos/416779645_JCcJj-XL.jpg

Edited by Short5

• 1 month later...

I've just had an accident while trying to test a silver wave type star, I was trying to light it on the ground with a BBQ lighter. But they must still have been damp as it refused to light, I must of been heating it with the lighter for about 15 seconds when... 'BANG!' it exploded just a couple of feet from my face. My ears are still ringing quite badly and bits of molten aluminium must of hit me in the face as I've got some sore red marks on my forehead, thankfully none of it went in my eyes though. I won't be doing that again in a hurry...

Glad you're OK Pyrophury...

Don't want to state the obvious here, and I'm guilty of doing it myself as I'm sure many other are, but testing stars with a blowtorch is a bad idea.

Many types of stars are prone to self-propell at random, and remember, silver wave type compositions are essentially bound flash - not something you want to hold a blowtorch to at the end of your arm!

yes glad your ok :) yep silver wave will catch you out, the ali makes all the difference in the comp my first batch i had some real nice flake ali, and boy they really popped, unfortunately i ran out of it and had to settle for stearin coated flake which took the bite out of the comp but still nice though.

when im ground testing stars i place them on a piece of touch paper with a little bp so i can retire to a safe distance! On my video below, silver wave is the last star tested, and yes its best to be a little way back ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi_vO4lq2to