APC Forum

Various Accidents and Injuries

BigBang

I'm getting so pissed at off at people like that. Kewls that do stupid stuff. Sure you could have explained things better, but if he had respect for something as strong as flash, he would have asked. Some people in chemistry today made a NaOH/Al pressure bomb. They did it in a gatorade bottle a few days ago and today got the bright idea to do it in a glass bottle. Then of course it was taking forever to go off so they elected someone to go and move it around with a yard stick to make it go off. Obviousely it went off and he got some small pieces of glass shot into his hand, which he is very lucky. These dumbass impatient people keep on bugging me to bring them Flash powder. Fat chance in hell that will happen.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boomer

• artificier

• Mumbles

• oskarchem

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The second one, made me laugh. But what the hell were you thinking of loading Flash into a STEEL mortar. And i suggest you give your friend some written instruction and total ammounts of how much of anything to use.

BTW, what happened to your frind in the first one?

I had thermite ignite 5cm away from my hand... Didn't really get burnt but i had my hand under water for a good 1 hour.

I had an accident from a bunger exploding inbetween my fingers in my room(i know what your thinking). I had some deep cuts and bruises on 3 of my fingers, surprisingly i didn't get burnt other than hearing problems for a day and still ear rings.

Those are the only pyro(?) accidents i experianced.

Live a learn doesn't allways apply in this sorta hobby.

,Apr 13 2006, 04:14 AM] I had an accident from a bunger exploding inbetween my fingers in my room(i know what your thinking). I had some deep cuts and bruises on 3 of my fingers, surprisingly i didn't get burnt other than hearing problems for a day and still ear rings.

Thats what you get for using APAN.

Yes we all love that shit. I had AP Putty ( AP/NC ) go off from just drying out in the sun. This doesn't qualify as a harmful accident, but just the fact that it got hot enough to go off on a mild day scares me. Just the thought of drying it and reaching to grab it an having it go off has kept me from making it since.

God I love reading this thread ^_^ Though I hate to see real pyros injured ;)

The only injuries I have ever had was when I set off a mini-starmine and thought it would be safe to be within 1m. Noooo, hot embers fell down on me before I could get away and left small blisters up the length of my arm and holes in my good shirt.

Worst burn was when I took a small ( 12mm x 20mm) comet out of a commercial canister a mate gave me and lit it....it spun up in the air with a golden tail and stopped behind the fingernail on my thumb, lucky me :)

I have been lucky....or is that sensible? :blink:

My friend is fine, he ran away from the burning smoke mix quickly. Also he now has respect for flashpowder, so he doesn't do any stupid stuff like that anymore.

Wow, no kidding. Those are some bad burns. How did your buddy get chemical burns from kno3 and sugar?  I didnt think there was anything that bad really in there.

Peace, Zeppelin

I was reading back and i saw this post, well when sugar/kno3 burns it throws molted sugar arround ( at least i think its molten sugar ) one of these got me right on the wrist and guess what it took over 4 month for the scar to fade away (water didnt help).

I was remembering how lastyear i was playing around trying to make up some cool star formula, i mixed 1:3:5:14 (magnallium: charcoal : sugar : kno3... i think those there the ratios) i melted it and rolled it up in a ball and it lit it on the ground and went 1 metre high and hovered. It nearlly got me.

I was making stars using mg and bp and i had to use one of those camping survival mg blocks and be accidnt it hit the flint and sent a tiny spark down into the pot igntiting the whole pot of about 50g of bp. Because it was in my house i quickly leant across and threw it out of my window while it was burning and because of this i burnt my thumb and it has been scarred permenatly and looks like half of my thumb is contsanlty red lol

BWAHAHAHA, man, next time knock the flint off with a hammer or some pliers. I had a near accident the other day after making lift. There was BP stuck all through my screen, so I decided to light it... Huge flame envelopement right near my hand. No injury though. My only pyro injury was when I had an ESTES rocket go off all over my hand.

so I decided to light it...

ROFL. I had a bit of AP that went in to my carpet.....Under my bed somehow. Knowing me, when im bored i do stupid things, so i crawled under and decided to light it up. Nice fireball, Burnt lots of hair on my hand :)

On friday I was melting a small batch of some kno3\sugar for use in rockets, with the raw, unmelted mix sitting next to the cooking one. In all about 400 grams of kno3\sugar smoke powder went off in my garage. Next to everything is ruind and covered in scortch marks, including my shirt\pants\boxers\hand. I tried to grab the metal cup it was in and run it outside, so I pulled on my thick leather welder's gloves and it spewed ash all over everything -_- . Im going to be taking a break for a week or two until I can work up enough money to replace everything. Pics at request. At least my hand isnt burnt bad.

I only had it go off once but it was a small amount and I was using an open flame which didn’t help. I just got splattered buy a very small amount i have two small marks on my hand now.

On friday I was melting a small batch of some kno3\sugar for use in rockets, with the raw, unmelted mix sitting next to the cooking one. In all about 400 grams of kno3\sugar smoke powder went off in my garage. Next to everything is ruind and covered in scortch marks, including my shirt\pants\boxers\hand. I tried to grab the metal cup it was in and run it outside, so I pulled on my thick leather welder's gloves and it spewed ash all over everything -_- . Im going to be taking a break for a week or two until I can work up enough money to replace everything. Pics at request. At least my hand isnt burnt bad.

ROFL. I had 10 grams go off in my kitchen and i thought that was bad as house was covered in thick smoke, but now i can't even imagine how bad 400grams was.

The smoke wasnt the worst part, it was the incredible amount of ash and flames that splattered on everything. That smoke probaly isnt bad for you though right? :unsure:

I don’t think its harmful but I wouldn’t breathe in much.

Suspended particles may irritate your lungs. I imagine it is mostly K2CO3, with some carbon et cetra.

K2CO3 decomposes in air to KOH + CO2

Initially the smoke produced isn't bad for you.

But it turns to potassium hydroxide from the h2o steam and general outside humidity

• 2 weeks later...

I've had only one small accident, luckly :ph34r:

I was lighting a 2.2g pile of thermite. The problem was that I used very fine Al. So the pile of thermite was placed on a piece of KNO3/sugar.. I thought that will ignite the thermite but it ignited from match which I wanted to light the KNO3/sugar with. It burned very fast, almost like slow flash and made my finger tips black. My finger tips were abit irritated (don't know if it is right word). Now, a week later, a bit of skin chiped off. Oh and just after the "accident" my ..|., finger's nail was yellow. My sister fixed it with some nail polisher or whatever :P

Oh and headaches from synthesing CH2=CH2, EGDN etc are regular phenomenons. <_<