APC Forum

bp rockets

allrocketspsl

you heard right mate a newly improved one at that

Sweet I really need one! I shall win then!

Edited by Thunderr1

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• allrocketspsl

• dagabu

• Thunderr1

• guntoteninfadel

So I did the tests between a nozzle and no nozzle motor. Below is the vids and verdict is Nozzle will lift more.

These are 1lb rockets lifting 550g each using fuse powder

http://pyrobin.com/files/rocktest.jpg

Edited by Thunderr1

With a slow fuel, nozzled motors will generate more thrust. The advantage with a nozzleless motor is that you can use extremely fast fuels that would otherwise burst a nozzled motor. If you're able to use 75-15-10 in a nozzled motor without CATO, the fuel needs some work.

HERE THEY ARE!

I will kick off this event with my videos first. Sorry for Blurry videos. Pictures in next post.

First Rocket was Ruby Red Stars

Second was Timed inserts right to left top then bottom

Third is Hummer insert

All 1lb motors, 3 Second breaks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twBClkfU4eA&feature=youtube_gdata

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD-jFR4BG-U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_foAtuiikrg

Edited by Thunderr1

With a slow fuel, nozzled motors will generate more thrust. The advantage with a nozzleless motor is that you can use extremely fast fuels that would otherwise burst a nozzled motor. If you're able to use 75-15-10 in a nozzled motor without CATO, the fuel needs some work.

You must also remember that the point of this competition was to break them at 3 secs from lift. I also lifted 550g which I had to test because my hummer insert shell was that heavy. I would say I lifted them just perfect.

You must also remember that the point of this competition was to break them at 3 secs from lift. I also lifted 550g which I had to test because my hummer insert shell was that heavy. I would say I lifted them just perfect.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed your rockets! I just wanted to make sure you understood nozzleless rockets. The creator of the BP nozzleless motor, the late Donald Josar, began using them because his black powder was too hot to make rockets the way everyone else was doing it (with a nozzle). So, he simply omited the nozzle and found that he could lift surprisingly heavy payloads! It's convenient to be able to use the same hot milled BP that you also use for lift and burst.

All things being equal, I really enjoy the ability to use a "slow" powder with a lot of extra charcoal for the beautiful tail (something like (56-34-10). In that case, a guy has to use a nozzle in order to get a decent amount of thrust. :)

HERE THEY ARE!

I will kick off this event with my videos first. Sorry for Blurry videos. Pictures in next post.

First Rocket was Ruby Red Stars

Second was Timed inserts right to left top then bottom

Third is Hummer insert

All 1lb motors, 3 Second breaks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twBClkfU4eA&feature=youtube_gdata

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD-jFR4BG-U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_foAtuiikrg

WOW so far your in the lead mate great work,I tried to get mine off last night got rained out will try this week,your right on the 3 second break so all are in the running,I have marked your entries on a list to see how others rate them,will put it out once all who have entered by 15th midnight october

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed your rockets! I just wanted to make sure you understood nozzleless rockets. The creator of the BP nozzleless motor, the late Donald Josar, began using them because his black powder was too hot to make rockets the way everyone else was doing it (with a nozzle). So, he simply omited the nozzle and found that he could lift surprisingly heavy payloads! It's convenient to be able to use the same hot milled BP that you also use for lift and burst.

All things being equal, I really enjoy the ability to use a "slow" powder with a lot of extra charcoal for the beautiful tail (something like (56-34-10). In that case, a guy has to use a nozzle in order to get a decent amount of thrust. :)

yeah i use 57/34/9 so I get my famous red tails,coarse and airfloat 50/50 cant beat it

Sorry but with Ladukes Universal Tooling, if you CATO a nozzled motor, you are using extremely hot BP, in fact, Steve made this tooling so that you can add up to 25% whistle to commercial BP before a CATO.

You may be speaking about standard BP tooling, but not UT.

BTW: My entries sucked and the timing was around 30 seconds (DOH!)

-dag

Edited by dagabu

Sorry but with Ladukes Universal Tooling, if you CATO a nozzled motor, you are using extremely hot BP, in fact, Steve made this tooling so that you can add up to 25% whistle to commercial BP before a CATO.

You may be speaking about standard BP tooling, but not UT.

-dag

on the tooling I have now for my one pounders I use to press 1/4 whistle for a kick then bp the rest of the way using my slow bp to get very long red tails,dismanteled press to make new one and havent made another one yet

on the tooling I have now for my one pounders I use to press 1/4 whistle for a kick then bp the rest of the way using my slow bp to get very long red tails,dismanteled press to make new one and havent made another one yet

Nozzled or nozzleless?

-dag

Nozzled or nozzleless?

-dag

I do only nozzeled cause I cant make fast bp I have done I think two nn(no nozzel), one sitting with my entries waiting for a good night to try it,Im a bit confused when thunder said he lifted 550 grams and that the nozzeled did the best job?I thought nn lifted more please let me know which is which, All

ps: they never CATO'ed either

Edited by allrocketspsl

Were they pressed on the same tooling? IE. one just without the nozzle. Is it also correct to assume you used one of the LaDuke Universal/Hybrid types of tooling?

Were they pressed on the same tooling? IE. one just without the nozzle. Is it also correct to assume you used one of the LaDuke Universal/Hybrid types of tooling?

Yes Steves UT and was pressed exactly the same just one without a nozzle

-dag

Umm...no. I'm not sure what fuel specification you're reading, but the literature I received from him specs 70-20-10-5 (nitrate/AF charcoal/sulfur/dextrin) for BP motors. That's a far cry from 75-15-10 BP. The Hybrid fuel is an even weaker 75-15-15-10-5 BP (not commercial BP) with whistle mix added for more gas output.

Edited by FrankRizzo

Umm...no. I'm not sure what fuel specification you're reading, but the literature I received from him specs 70-20-10-5 (nitrate/AF charcoal/sulfur/dextrin) for BP motors. That's a far cry from 75-15-10 BP. The Hybrid fuel is an even weaker 75-15-15-10-5 BP (not commercial BP) with whistle mix added for more gas output.

why the dextrin in the bp seems it would slow it down,if i used anywhere near 75/15/10 cato everytime so the tooling must be the difference?It has to be in otherwords my spindle I bet is larger in diameter than SL's,mixing you mean straight whistle into the bp,like benzo?

Here is the test. First up is the nozzle motor and second nozzless. Both lifting exactly 550g with 1lb motors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCHEWfT3t34

ok glad I swa the vid i was under impression that you routinely used 500 or so headers ,as i can see you did get it up but not a safe altitude,I dont feel so bad now,lol!My rammed 1lb can put a 250 gram header well above these but thats really pushing it nice rockets anyway and you are in the lead mate for a new and improved 'CTFC",none like it around just put on the final touched today and I might say Im pleased and want one also!

Edited by allrocketspsl

They did not go very high. My hummer insert shell was 524g so I was debating to pull it out and put maybe a 2lb motor on it but it lifted fine and I am happy!

Uh, yes.

I don't think I spoke about Hybrid mixes, 75:15:10 commercial BP with up too 25% red iron whistle. Anything faster has to be nozzleless.

-dag

Edited by dagabu

Uh, yes.

I don't think I spoke about Hybrid mixes, 75:15:10 commercial BP with up too 25% red iron whistle. Anything faster has to be nozzleless.

-dag

You use "75:15:10 commercial BP with up too 25% red iron whistle", with a nozzle?! Again, if that's the case your 75-15-10 powder is weak, even moreso if you can add whistle and not have problems. I have never seen Steve spec using 75-15-10, hot BP with good charcoal, as a nozzled rocket on U/H tooling. He has, however, spec'd 75-15-15-10-5 + whistle (The #1 BP fuel, and the #2 Whistle Mix - hybrid fuel) as a *nozzleless* fuel.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make for Thunderr1 is that nozzleless rockets use a different fuel than nozzled rockets. You can't expect a fuel that works in a nozzled rocket, to work well in a nozzleless rocket. BP fuel that makes a good nozzleless rocket will generally CATO a rocket made with a nozzle. Of course, you already knew that. :)

Edited by FrankRizzo

You use "75:15:10 commercial BP with up too 25% red iron whistle", with a nozzle?! Again, if that's the case your 75-15-10 powder is weak, even moreso if you can add whistle and not have problems. I have never seen Steve spec using 75-15-10, hot BP with good charcoal, as a nozzled rocket on U/H tooling. He has, however, spec'd 75-15-15-10-5 + whistle (The #1 BP fuel, and the #2 Whistle Mix - hybrid fuel) as a *nozzleless* fuel.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make for Thunderr1 is that nozzleless rockets use a different fuel than nozzled rockets. You can't expect a fuel that works in a nozzled rocket, to work well in a nozzleless rocket. BP fuel that makes a good nozzleless rocket will generally CATO a rocket made with a nozzle. Of course, you already knew that. :)

when i shot shells from motars i had no ball mill still dont but using the cia(cooking it) I could make great lift bp,question if it would be good enough for endburners?