APC Forum

bp rockets

allrocketspsl

If you're making rocket fuel, you really don't need any dextrin at all. It will consolidate without any problems. I typically add a little bit for some resilience, but not needed.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• allrocketspsl

• dagabu

• Thunderr1

• guntoteninfadel

If you're making rocket fuel, you really don't need any dextrin at all. It will consolidate without any problems. I typically add a little bit for some resilience, but not needed.

i dont use dextrin in the ten millers,

this topic has given me an appetite for testing my 10mm [3 oz ish] motors i always wanted them to go for longer and am trying different amounts of fuel and different sized increments to get the timing up, progress is slow but ill be there in one way or another, got 4 batches of new stars [to me] one is a test comp so i have some choice ,the report may be a problem here it might have to be bp.

now to make some more tubes. edit: oh and saturdays the night ;)

dan.

Edited by dan999ification

i dont use dextrin in the ten millers,

this topic has given me an appetite for testing my 10mm [3 oz ish] motors i always wanted them to go for longer and am trying different amounts of fuel and different sized increments to get the timing up, progress is slow but ill be there in one way or another, got 4 batches of new stars [to me] one is a test comp so i have some choice ,the report may be a problem here it might have to be bp.

now to make some more tubes. edit: oh and saturdays the night ;)

dan.

I never use dextrin in any rocket fuel,dont see a need even in nozzeless,yeah Dan you might as well enter all you need is three can shells any type report the rocket motor must be bp all else goes just have three second breaks to qualify mate

I add the 2% Dextrin so that I can have one mix that can be used for Pulverone, lift and rockets. The amount that the fuel is slowed is so insignificant that it cannot be measured by how high the rocket lifts the shell. Side by side tests with same shells show no difference with the 2% added Dex.

-dag

What ratio's do you use then? is that the pulverone mix you spoke about somewhere around here from Mike S?

"I add the 2% Dextrin so that I can have one mix that can be used for Pulverone, lift and rockets."

-dag

I got the impression he was asking about what ratios of KNO3, C, and S you use in polverone. The instructions given by Mike do not use 75:15:10.

I got the impression he was asking about what ratios of KNO3, C, and S you use in polverone. The instructions given by Mike do not use 75:15:10.

Indeed, thats what i meant.. IIRC you make mostly nozzled motors right? If you'd use 75-15-10 in a nozzled motor it'd probably CATO pretty hard on you.

I will have to look, I have no idea what Mike uses off hand.

I make nozzled and nozzleless rockets equally, or closely so. I can get 75:15:10 nozzled rockets to work fine using hardwood charcoal using the UT tooling. In fact, I use 25% whistle as a booster using NEPT heavy walled tubes without issues.

-dag

Mr. Swisher's instructions call for the following:

18 lbs. saltpetre (67.3%)

4 lbs. air float charcoal (15%)

3 lbs. sulphur (11.2%)

1 lb. 12 oz. dextrine (6.5%)

And we wonder where stereotyping comes from?

Here is mine.... laugh2.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62RwHHFuf14

-dag

I lived in florida 35 years, Key West for 13 years,wore sandals for ten years before I put on a pair od tenny shoes,now in s. florida and the wife wants to move back to wisconsin,your video gave me the heeebeee jeee bees!

You sound like my cousins from Tampa. We had a nice cool summer a few years ago here in Northern Indiana, they were wearing sweaters and jackets while watching the fireworks on the 4th.

Man, as long as its sunny and above 50 I would be outside in shorts and sandals. Hell I swim in the lakes until water gets below 65

Man, as long as its sunny and above 50 I would be outside in shorts and sandals. Hell I swim in the lakes until water gets below 65

lol,when I was in the Keys and it got to 70 degrees we put on the oven opened the door as we were freezing our asses off,three weeks of winter and it once dipped to 49,I will never forget it!

lol,when I was in the Keys and it got to 70 degrees we put on the oven opened the door as we were freezing our asses off,three weeks of winter and it once dipped to 49,I will never forget it!

I think we hit close to that below zero with the wind chill added!

Minnesota Temperature Conversion Chart

50 Fahrenheit (10 C)

New Yorkers try to turn on the heat.

Minnesotans plant gardens.

40 Fahrenheit (4.4 C)

Californians shiver uncontrollably

Minnesotans sunbathe.

35 Fahrenheit (1.6 C)

Italian Cars won't start

Minnesotans drive with the windows down.

32 Fahrenheit (0 C)

Distilled water freezes

Minnesotans water gets thicker.

0 Fahrenheit (-17.9 C)

New York City landlords finally turn on the heat.

Minnesotans have the last cookout of the season.

-40 Fahrenheit (-40 C)

Hollywood disintegrates.

Minnesotans rent some videos.

-60 Fahrenheit (-51 C)

Mt. St. Helen's freezes.

Minnesota Girl Scouts sell cookies door-to-door.

-100 Fahrenheit (-73 C)

Santa Claus abandons the North Pole

Minnesotans pull down their earflaps.

-173 Fahrenheit (-114 C)

Ethyl alcohol freezes.

Minnesotans get frustrated when they can't thaw the keg.

-459.4 Fahrenheit (-273 C)

Absolute zero; all atomic motion stops.

Minnesotans start asking, "cold enough for ya?"

-500 Fahrenheit (-295 C)

Hell freezes over.

The Vikings win the Super Bowl

Minnesota Temperature Conversion Chart

50 Fahrenheit (10 C)

New Yorkers try to turn on the heat.

Minnesotans plant gardens.

40 Fahrenheit (4.4 C)

Californians shiver uncontrollably

Minnesotans sunbathe.

35 Fahrenheit (1.6 C)

Italian Cars won't start

Minnesotans drive with the windows down.

32 Fahrenheit (0 C)

Distilled water freezes

Minnesotans water gets thicker.

0 Fahrenheit (-17.9 C)

New York City landlords finally turn on the heat.

Minnesotans have the last cookout of the season.

-40 Fahrenheit (-40 C)

Hollywood disintegrates.

Minnesotans rent some videos.

-60 Fahrenheit (-51 C)

Mt. St. Helen's freezes.

Minnesota Girl Scouts sell cookies door-to-door.

-100 Fahrenheit (-73 C)

Santa Claus abandons the North Pole

Minnesotans pull down their earflaps.

-173 Fahrenheit (-114 C)

Ethyl alcohol freezes.

Minnesotans get frustrated when they can't thaw the keg.

-459.4 Fahrenheit (-273 C)

Absolute zero; all atomic motion stops.

Minnesotans start asking, "cold enough for ya?"

-500 Fahrenheit (-295 C)

Hell freezes over.

The Vikings win the Super Bowl

I'll never make it,gotta go a hurricane is brushing by us!

Did you make it okay with the hurricane?

yeah this year should be good for florida as the bulk of storms should track the US east coast(about time),I have been through 6 hurricanes and it ainto no fun although I had a rocket planned for Irene,worlds first bp rocket with star header fired in the eye of a hurricane,hoping someone else will take home that honor! All

yeah this year should be good for florida as the bulk of storms should track the US east coast(about time),I have been through 6 hurricanes and it ainto no fun although I had a rocket planned for Irene,worlds first bp rocket with star header fired in the eye of a hurricane,hoping someone else will take home that honor! All

wouldn't that suck if it CATO'd and you lost the record haha

wouldn't that suck if it CATO'd and you lost the record haha

havent had a CATO with a header on my rockets in about a year,lol you know me test,test and more test before I waist hard work! Heres my report shell for the contest: shell #1:

post-10235-0-02247100-1314711609_thumb.jpg

Edited by allrocketspsl

Whoops, screwed that one up. My first ever shells. One on the left is the reports, middle is inserts and right is stars.