APC Forum

Best and most economical Ball Mill Jars? DIY

Kaokin

Besides tile, glass & plastic, I have never used them on Kraft paper.

But, have use them on thin wood veneer , thin laminates of all sorts & several differing types of thin very stiff polyester craft fabric.

They worked well for that.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oldguy

• dagabu

• Kaokin

• Vrizla

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awesome Frank every little bit counts!!! I just tried to make a non adjustable cutter with an old pickle fork. It worked ok,but the adjustable tool is a must have. I just wan'ted to try it out I could get it to work better but the size is not very useful. Life is a constant journey of collecting the right tool for the job. The more job's the more tool's you need. I just hope I have some more quality pyro time before I'm back off to school. CT cut funding to all state school's so they are passing the buck onto the students. I really wan't to try and do another big show labor day. But I don't wan't to sacrifice putting on a show over building a ball mill. I had some unexpected last minute expenses this week don't think I'm going to have money for PVC jar this weekend. 2wacko.gif

Harbor Freight, there is probably one by your house.

LINK

Flip the blades around so the flat is toward the center of the disk, pull the drill bit out and center the cross bar and tighten it down. A VERY flat cutting surface is essential to good cuts.

-dag

Hi Dag,

Thanks, I just picked one up. It's very sturdy and ought to work for several of my projects.

WSM B)

When buying the roller bars for drive and idle shaft should you use solid bars or are hollow ones ok. I rolled both on a level floor and both weren't bent. I was going to buy the hollow ones the other day then I couldn't decide which kind of bearing carrier to get, there were so many choices. There were heavy duty ones that had zerk fittings but I couldn't find the right inserts for them . The light weight pillow bearing carriers had the correct size insert. I searched the forum and You tube and didn't find much info, You Tube had a lot of armature information and designs.

Hi Vriz, I am also in the process of building a ball mill and making many of the decisions you are.... I opted for hollow roller bars; as used in surplus conveyor belt rollers. I'm not sure how they will stand the test of time, but they were dirt cheap at $5 a piece; That includes the roller AND bearing assembly! Traditionally, it seems that most builders go with the pillow block and rod stock combination, but when i was searching, i couldn't find a decent pair of pillow block bearings for under $30. If i had gone that way, i would definitely had used solid rod stock. My decision was purely economic. Perhaps someone has had experience with surplus conveyor rollers used in ball mills and can offer us some experience on longevity :) My machine is not quite operational yet, so i cannot offer time tested experience :(

Hey OldGuy, Where are you sourcing all of your large diameter PVC??? I am having a horrible time finding any; Ive had a post on craigslist forever and i have been actively searching and NOTHING!!! I'm about ready to steal some off a construction site!!! lol Local supply stores want $80ish for a length and wont do cuts :(

I have relatives in the excavation business. A good part of the excavation they do is for large water & sewer lines. Most of that PVC pipe is anywhere from 6 to 18 inch diameter & in 20 ft lengths. Often there are pieces with a broken end or a cracked area or just excess leftovers. Whenever that occurs, they call & say come get it free. But, I have to take it all. Space next to my shop looks like a big bore PVC pipe storage area.

gallery_10713_78_243167.jpg

Hi Vriz, I am also in the process of building a ball mill and making many of the decisions you are.... I opted for hollow roller bars; as used in surplus conveyor belt rollers. I'm not sure how they will stand the test of time, but they were dirt cheap at $5 a piece; That includes the roller AND bearing assembly! Traditionally, it seems that most builders go with the pillow block and rod stock combination, but when i was searching, i couldn't find a decent pair of pillow block bearings for under $30. If i had gone that way, i would definitely had used solid rod stock. My decision was purely economic. Perhaps someone has had experience with surplus conveyor rollers used in ball mills and can offer us some experience on longevity :) My machine is not quite operational yet, so i cannot offer time tested experience :(

Kaokin go to a electrical or plumbing supply warehouse that mostly deals with contractors or other professionals to find large size pvc or hdpe. When I was looking for the bearing carrier there 2 I was looking at were both called pillow carriers. One was heavy duty and had a zerk fitting. The other one was lightweight, both only were the outer piece and didn't have the actual bearing in it. They didn't have the ones for the heavy weight ones only light weight.

When buying the roller bars for drive and idle shaft should you use solid bars or are hollow ones ok. I rolled both on a level floor and both weren't bent. I was going to buy the hollow ones the other day then I couldn't decide which kind of bearing carrier to get, there were so many choices.

Been using conveyor idlers on mine since the 4th. I know, not a long time but I went from harbor frieght mill to 6" pvc and OMG! what a difference. And as was posted above..... at 5$ apiece I can replace them quick easy and cheap.

just my .02

One was heavy duty and had a zerk fitting. The other one was lightweight, both only were the outer piece and didn't have the actual bearing in it. They didn't have the ones for the heavy weight ones only light weight.

What is a zerk fitting??

You should be able to go to an industrial supply shop and find the pillow blocks with bearings. My first set of 1/2"(shaft size) heavy duty pillow block bearings lasted several years. I changed out the bearings a year or so ago and I'm sure I will get a few years out of this set too!

Zirc fitting is a grease fitting

Hmmm. Never heard the term, why not just call it a grease fitting?

Because that is what they are called technically.

The patent for the Zerk fitting was granted to Oscar U. Zerk in January 1929, and the assignee was the Alemite Manufacturing Corporation (thus the eponymous names for the fittings). Today many companies make these grease fittings.

-Wikki-

There are many types of fittings for the delivery of oil and grease but if I holler to one of my guys, "Skippy, grab a gun and hit the back Zerks on pump #2.", he knows everything he needs to know with just that sentence.

-dag

Because that is what they are called technically.

The patent for the Zerk fitting was granted to Oscar U. Zerk in January 1929, and the assignee was the Alemite Manufacturing Corporation (thus the eponymous names for the fittings). Today many companies make these grease fittings.

-Wikki-

There are many types of fittings for the delivery of oil and grease but if I holler to one of my guys, "Skippy, grab a gun and hit the back Zerks on pump #2.", he knows everything he needs to know with just that sentence.

-dag

Lol Dag, You know a guy named skippy??

Lol Dag, You know a guy named skippy??

And he apparently works with Dag :lol:

Wonder if its a brother-n-law deal :blink:

Edited by guntoteninfadel

And he apparently works with Dag :lol:

Wonder if its a brother-n-law deal :blink:

Cute Gun ;)

Bubba is the other mech I hired. ^_^

-dag

The advantage of a big well powered mill & long rollers.

Besides ball milling, it makes a very proficient large volume mixer.

gallery_10713_78_134328.jpg

gallery_10713_78_27321.jpg

gallery_10713_78_68388.jpg

Dag, do you work on an oil rig??? I'm looking for a job if the $$ is right :)

Oldguy, The more I see the advancements in your ball mill, the more I think about scrapping my compact design and going with something like you have there. With all of the thought and calculations and fabrication I put into my design, in the end, the belt I used was not sufficient to transfer the torque necessary to turn a fully loaded jar. Sigh. Back to the drawing board. :huh:

Dag, do you work on an oil rig??? I'm looking for a job if the $ is right :)

Nope, I manage properties.

-dag

dag he apparently has not noticed the 8 fingers and 2 thumbs in your pic. I dont know very many oil field people that isnt missing at least one!

Oldguy, The more I see the advancements in your ball mill, the more I think about scrapping my compact design and going with something like you have there. With all of the thought and calculations and fabrication I put into my design, in the end, the belt I used was not sufficient to transfer the torque necessary to turn a fully loaded jar. Sigh. Back to the drawing board. :huh:

Big TEFC powered mills with long rollers have distinct advantages. In that they run very cool, and can turn multiple large heavy jars with ease, or act as a big roller mixer with a 15 or 18 gallon plastic drum on them. The only disadvantage is size & weight. You could only haul mine in a pickup truck. But, that I have.

I have a couple smaller very portable mills. I even bought a 2 extra HF 3 lb mills, a couple months back when they were on sale for $30.

Object of those is for milling comps I am not sure of, in case they “go up”:blink: . No big loss.:whistle:

Great thing about my big bertha mill is you can moved the free wheeling roller over, so it will run multiples of 6, 8, 12 & 14 inch jars.

It is a toilet flush simple very strong design. There is nothing I would change.

Dag, Managing properties is a much better way to go! I own a multi family property as well as my primary residence, so i am a property manager as well, just not full time ;) When you said that you worked with a guy named bubba and a guy named Skippy, all i could think of was that move "Armageddon" lol; hence the oil rig reference :D

Dag, Managing properties is a much better way to go! I own a multi family property as well as my primary residence, so i am a property manager as well, just not full time ;) When you said that you worked with a guy named bubba and a guy named Skippy, all i could think of was that move "Armageddon" lol; hence the oil rig reference :D

LOL! I manage commercial properties and have a pretty big crew, I use Bubba and Skippy since I dont know anyone by those names so I dont offend anyone... by name ;)

-dag