APC Forum

Best and most economical Ball Mill Jars? DIY

Kaokin

Well, you could always frame it as product recommendation. As in, tell them you are looking for a media to manufacture black powder and similar mixtures, and ask for a recommendation for the most suitable product. No media is ever going to be 100.00000000% completely resistant to explosion. There are several however that have a better chance of some mechanical or jar failure resulting in catastrophe.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oldguy

• dagabu

• Kaokin

• Vrizla

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Same deal, no recommendation on a media selection. All I was able to get was a denial that the high alumina media COULD spark.

I dont have the email sitting in front of me but the rep told me that there is no material contained in the media that can spark and only light is emitted in a collision between two pieces of media and that it was called photo.... something. No heat was generated.

Perhaps it is just manufacturing companies do not want to gurrantee this for fear of lawsuits, and the lack of a guarntee makes rumors like this propogate. I have read that it was possible, so I erred on the side of caution and went with brass media for milling explosive compositions. Oldguy; I bought a lot of 1/2" zirc M from that ebay seller also... I got a lot of 10 pounds of it for $45. Its hard to gauge what the volume of the material will be when in a jar though. I can't seem to find many retail sources for this media either... How good of a deal did I get?? ;) Edited by Kaokin

I think Zirc M retails for around $22 or $25 a lb when bought in bulk. Do the math.

That math tells me i got a pretty good deal B)

You can buy your self a 20 dollar protein shake mix jar at most stores or ask a personal trainer. Works as a great jar and will help you while you run away after lighting that visco.

You can buy your self a 20 dollar protein shake mix jar at most stores or ask a personal trainer. Works as a great jar and will help you while you run away after lighting that visco.

PM dagabu, ask if he has any of those $40 jars left. you cannot get a better deal or jar for the money.

I do, I have 6 ready to go, just PM me and I will get a shipping label printed out and the jar boxed up.

BTW- that's $40.00 SHIPPED to the lower 48. (Sorry Canada ;) )

-dag

I'm pretty happy with my 3/4 inch copper pipes filled with tin/lead all cut to 1 1/8 inch lengths.

The stuff is pretty aggressive and I can drop in a three inch lead filled copper pipe for smother rolling.

I'm looking for some stainless media for milling to flakes some T6+ aluminum caul plate scraps.

Don't know how they will burn just yet or how fine to mill them.

I'm thinking that a waterfall component is what they will be used for once coarsely flaked.

Edited by Bilbobaker

I'm getting outstanding results milling BP using the ceramic media. What used to take at least 3 hours with lead takes 90 minutes or less with zirconia, and when I left it for a little over three hours the BP meal fluffed up and vastly increased in volume until it filled the entire barrel and nearly stopped the tumbling action. Since zirconia is less dense than lead, I put the efficiency down to its hardness.

Here's a view of the mill dust through a microscope, magnified 200 times. You can see the individual nitrate sulfur and charcoal particles, the average size being about 5 micrometers, which is about a 5000 mesh. A sample on a sheet of white paper burned with a flash and left no residue except a brown scorch mark on the paper. Once this is granulated, no individual particles will be visible.

post-10245-0-42764200-1303881233_thumb.jpg

:) OUTSTANDING is right.

Zirc M media is one of those "once you tried it, you will never use anything else" sort of things.

Shorter mill times & far finer results than any other BM media out there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-pounds-Zirconia-M-Grinding-Media-1-2-inch-cyl-/160578249901?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256335a4ad

Least expensive source I am aware of.

Retails over $25 a lb, plus shipping.

gallery_10713_78_126078.jpg

Edited by oldguy

• 2 weeks later...

This jar can used for ball milling?

http://i52.tinypic.com/2aj46dj.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/20frj1v.jpg

Hey all you ball mill jar builders.

Just FYI the eBay seller below is selling gray flat sheet ¼ inch thick PVC remnants for DIRT cheap prices.

Basically 3lbs for $1.

If you want the pieces ALL cut to a single specific size, the cutting fee is $10, no matter how many pieces that fit in a flat rate single box.

Packaging + UPS ground shipping costs will make you sick.

But, if you want-need pieces 12 inch X 12 inch or under.

Those will fit in a $14.95 FLAT RATE large USPS shipping box.

22 ---12X12 sheets ¼ inch thick will fit in a large flat rate USPS box.

Cost + cutting fee + flat rate USPS shipping equals 22 sheets for under $40 TOTAL. :lol:

That is less than $2 per sheet that size, if you buy a box full.

THAT IS A SUPER BARGAIN :)

Easy to make flat jar ends for 4, 6, 8 or 12 inch PVC pipe ball mill jars with these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260754447272

The contact person is:

Eric Wasson

IT Administrator

RenoSys Corporation

317-251-0207

Eric's e-mail address is:

admin@renosys.com

Wow oldguy, you come through again with a great ebay buy!!! Im definately going to get in on some of that. My magnesia media came in a few weeks ago and looks great; I talked to Pat on the phone and he threw in 10 pounds of used 3/8" media for cheap money so now i have 20 pounds of premium media ready to roll :)

This jar can used for ball milling?

It can, but it won't last. The walls are too thin. It will be fine for a few or several batches, but it will start to crack or leak. I've been using peanut butter jars for years, but they fail after awhile. The protein jar is larger and once loaded up will have a lot more media in it and fail quicker.

thanks bonny..i believed that would crack,regardless that the jar is hdpe.. Edited by pyrogeorge

Hey all you ball mill jar builders.

Just FYI the eBay seller below is selling gray flat sheet ¼ inch thick PVC remnants for DIRT cheap prices.

Basically 3lbs for $1.

If you want the pieces ALL cut to a single specific size, the cutting fee is $10, no matter how many pieces that fit in a flat rate single box.

Packaging + UPS ground shipping costs will make you sick.

But, if you want-need pieces 12 inch X 12 inch or under.

Those will fit in a $14.95 FLAT RATE large USPS shipping box.

22 ---12X12 sheets ¼ inch thick will fit in a large flat rate USPS box.

Cost + cutting fee + flat rate USPS shipping equals 22 sheets for under $40 TOTAL. :lol:

That is less than $2 per sheet that size, if you buy a box full.

THAT IS A SUPER BARGAIN :)

Easy to make flat jar ends for 4, 6, 8 or 12 inch PVC pipe ball mill jars with these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260754447272

The contact person is:

Eric Wasson

IT Administrator

RenoSys Corporation

317-251-0207

Eric's e-mail address is:

admin@renosys.com

hmmm I dont need any pvc but some pool liner I do need and this place is about 30 min away.

Steve

gallery_10713_78_186728.jpg

Lots of ways to do this.

Not sure which way I will go yet.

But, I have a lot of it to work with.

gallery_10713_78_322334.jpg

Edited by oldguy

Oldguy, What is your plan for the accessable end? I was thinking of sandwiching some kind of rubber tubing or an O ring between 2 PVC sheets, adding a machine screw in the center, and compressing it so the tubing seals against the inside Jar wall. Maybe even doubling up on this setup for added insurance... havent reached that point yet. Im still waiting for my new drive belt (3rd try is the charm) :angry:

I am thinking something like this.

Because I now have a lot of sheet PVC to work with.

gallery_10713_78_55545.jpg

check Iamtheskinman channel on youtube. "ball mill container iamtheskinman" To the people that say the health food protien powder jars are good..... I've destroyed lots of them, they are even hpde. peanut butter jars dont seal air, and other jars eventually crack. skin man is the best idea i've seen yet. Minimal spillage, nothing some newspaper can't handle.

That's just an inefficient knock off of Lloyd Sponnenburgh's original design. Not quite what I'd call Iamtheskinman's idea.

I am still brainstorming the design. I am in no ruch. I may do several differing designs.

What is the inefficant part?

The opening could be 6, 8 or 10 inch wide.

No liff bars?