APC Forum

Have you downloaded the Turbo Pyro Book?

TheSidewinder

Feedback to satisfy our curiosity  

504 members have voted

1. 1. Have you downloaded the Turbo Pyro PDF? Will you?

• Yes, I've downloaded it.
    • No, I have NOT downloaded it, but I will!
    • No, I have NOT downloaded it, and won't (for whatever reason).

I got it a year or so ago and really did not do anything with it till May of this year.

I showed to my 2 sons,so with me watching over their shoulders they each made a couple of

the projects.

Instead of fuse we set up 2 with e-matches and the others with falcon igniters.

The looks on their faces when they remotely fired the ones that they had made was better

than watching a big commercial show.

Two budding pyrotechnics were born!

Xdiver1

• 1 month later...

Thanks, downloaded it - A lot of good info for the novice - much appreciated.

I love the title "10 Fireworks You Can Make This Weekend"..... If only!!!! :angry:

Gee, I wonder if Skylighter can ship their packs to Oz.... :wub:

Nah... doubt it... guess I'll have to battle on then. :P... whoops, I meant :whistle:

Cheers, Steve.

• 11 months later...

Hmm,

I tried downloading it from the link provided and got an error message "server has been reset". I am using firefox on a linux system, could that be the problem?

UPDATE: Duh! nevermind. I got it fixed. I guess I should think before typing

Edited by MadMat

• 5 weeks later...

I'm BRAND NEW to the Pyrotechnic Field. I've been interested in making my own fireworks for a couple years but never had that urge to take the leap until I read Sidewinders post offering the free PDF Turbo Pyro from Skylighter.com. This PDF is fantastic information for me. I'll be ordering materials from Skylighter soon enough thanks to the great information in this PDF. I notice that Skylighter is just north of me in Virginia. I'm from the Fredericksburg area. I just may take a trip up to see Skylighter.com. Thanks again Sidewinder for giving me the PUSH I needed to get into the amazing and fun field of fireworks making.

• 2 months later...

Over the last few weeks, I've talked with Harry Gilliam and his programmer, Brian, several times. We've arrived at an agreement that should benefit ALL of us.

Our mutual intent is to provide beginners with a safe, modern, and easy-to-follow method to get into the hobby of Amateur Pyrotechnics.

And the Turbo Pyro book/kit looks to be the first venture to that end.

It's been a long time since Tom Peregrin wrote his book, "Introductory Practical Pyrotechnics", and some of the information within it is now dated.

It still remains a very good resource, however it IS expensive. Pyrotechnics Publishing is a VERY small market, and printing costs are phenomenal for a small run of only a few hundred (or a few dozen) books.

With the release of this PDF, it is hoped that more people will become interested in Pyrotechnics.

And power, lies within numbers. The Federal government is continuing to violate our rights to enjoy life, all in the name of "what's good for us".

Please add your comments.

I know a lot of us are FAR beyond the beginner stage, and I suspect that will be the main reason many won't download it.

But if that's the case, please add a note why, if you don't mind?

Thank you!

The file is still available here: http://tp.skylighter.com/turbo-pyro/book1.asp?b=1

it will be a lot of benefits :D

when books can be expected ?

It's an ebook. I'm not sure if it's still available for download but you might check Skylighter to see.

P.S. I took a peek and apparently it's no longer offered.

Edited by OldMarine
  • Like 1

@muxolini Are you a member of fireworking.com ? Turbopyro is available to members.

• 2 weeks later...

It's an ebook. I'm not sure if it's still available for download but you might check Skylighter to see.

P.S. I took a peek and apparently it's no longer offered.

No my Friend

@muxolini Are you a member of fireworking.com ? Turbopyro is available to members.

No me friends

• 4 months later...

to answer the thread's question "Have you downloaded the Turbo Pyro PDF? Will you?"

no i have not, it is unavailable

i've signed up for the skylighter mailing list & order kits from them, but no ebook, just deals of the day

should this thread be unpinned to avoid wasting the time of others

Edited by jakespeed

For better or worse, it seems to be available here. Legalities unknown.

http://turbo-pyro.s3.amazonaws.com/TurboPyro.pdf

Legalities?... which type of legalities... copyright?, as in the owner of the written text -- or legalities regarding the content, which if fallen into the "wrong hands"?....

I downloaded the e-book about 18mnths ago. If the Author has withdrawn it, then that is his/her right. The book describes some basics and much useful info with regards to pyrotechnics. Certainly nothing like the "Anarchists Cookbook" or its predecessor "The Poor Man's James Bond".

[EDIT] The info, similar to the book, can be obtained from asking questions here on this forum.

Edited by stix

"For better or worse" and "legalities" refers to copyright and piracy issues about the site, and in no way was meant to disparage the contents of the book itself. The proviso was site related only. For future posts, I will choose my phrasing very carefully so as to eschew obfuscation and mitigate ambiguities.

• Like 2

A copy of the first version was posted on pyrobin when it was given away for free and Harry knows its there. He is the owner and has control of it so i dont think there is anything to be too worried about here. Send Harry an email if you have any questions, he is a nice guy.

Additionally, the link above is the real download link when you got it through Skylighter. As far as I'm concerned as long as the file is still hosted there and publicly searchable it's fair game.

Additionally, the link above is the real download link when you got it through Skylighter. As far as I'm concerned as long as the file is still hosted there and publicly searchable it's fair game.

That may be ethically true, but legally it has nothing to do with available and searchable. All that matters in terms of online distribution is:

1) Is the item under copyright (really old things are not, under copyright law)

2) Did the person/entity that put this specific instance(site/source) online("made available") have the right to do so (standard copyright law)

3) Are there any sort of digital encryption means to control access to the contents(DMCA comes in here)

4) Are there any authentication barriers in place, like needing an account login info (Computer Fraud and Abuse Act)

5) Is the information protected, such as private information(bank account info) or government classified documents

Given that 1) yes, this writen work still is covered by copyright, 2) the owner of the copyright put this instance online(known because of link via skylighter site), 3) the file has no digital encryption, 4) the hosting site does not require an account, even one with a commonly known password, to download the file, and 5) this info is not classified or private/protected, I feel legally safe in downloading this file. Of course, I am not a lawyer, I am just an activist when it comes to copyright law. The ethics of downloading it is a completely different matter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Got some good info for beginners of pyrotechnics indeed.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I originally join this site looking for information on milling blackpowder to use in shooting my handguns. But after reading and seeing some of the work you guys and gals are doing I want to try my hand at making fireworks. This PDF is just the ticket. I need to get more paper for my printer. I will print this out. Thanks.

I agree with Lloyd , the book is still under copyright and without permission from Harry or Ned.

~Steven

I also heard that soon Harry is going to be having someone else take over skylighter and when ever that happens in not sure if the copyright goes to the new owner or if the copyright is thrown out the window.

It's not without permission. We have an agreement with Harry. If he wishes to change that all he has to do is contact us. Of course you would have known this if you actually read the thread.