APC Forum

Have you downloaded the Turbo Pyro Book?

TheSidewinder

Feedback to satisfy our curiosity  

504 members have voted

1. 1. Have you downloaded the Turbo Pyro PDF? Will you?

• Yes, I've downloaded it.
    • No, I have NOT downloaded it, but I will!
    • No, I have NOT downloaded it, and won't (for whatever reason).

Thank you for asking if I downloaded Turbo book, and I have not. I have little interest in someone who writes immature articles about blowing up coffee cans in their backyard. I am a seasoned pyrotechnist who is interested in the art and science of inventing and producing fabulous fireworks. I have a vested interest. IS THERE ANYONE on the same page?

Wow, you sound like you should be over on Passfire with all the other great experts. I feel so honored that you took the trouble to register here and speak with us unschooled amateurs to lead us into the paths of righteousness.

Incidentally, I looked real hard in Turbo Pyro for the bit about blowing up coffee cans in the backyard, since it sounds like something more on my level than shell making, but it doesn't seem to be included in my edition. I don't suppose - is it possible - you're referring to a different publication than the one from Skylighter that the rest of us were discussing? I only ask because, you not having downloaded it nor read it, you may not know what you're talking about and I'd hate for someone here to jump up and call you a confounded idiot with an ego problem.

Thank you for asking if I downloaded Turbo book, and I have not. I have little interest in someone who writes immature articles about blowing up coffee cans in their backyard. I am a seasoned pyrotechnist who is interested in the art

and science of inventing and producing fabulous fireworks. I have a vested interest. IS THERE ANYONE on the same page?

you are an idiot (how did that feel?)

you aren't qualified to be mentioned in the same conversation with Ned.

Become a PGI Grand Master, write a hundred or so helpful articles (and get paid to do it) then come back and tell us how great you are

I'd chalk that up to a misunderstanding for now.

Turbopyro is a tutorial handbook and project kit promoted and distributed by Skylighter. While perhaps not the best prices, most people know of them and have probably purchased there at some point or another. They teamed up with Ned Gorski, the 2006 PGI Grandmaster, to write a series of tutorials over the last few years. They've arranged a number of them into this project kit with handbook. The owner of Skylighter seemed impressed with this website, and agreed to distribute it here without the need to buy the kit itself. It walks you step by step through making classical items such as wheels, bottle rockets, fountains, sparklers, spinning/flying devices, and eventually a small shell. I didn't see any mentions of flash, whistle, or anything approaching a destructive device.

I apologize to the board for my comment.

I have the priviledge of being a member of BGP with Ned, and the honor to call him friend.

You'll not find anyone more willing to help

Edited by Algenco

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

My name is Daniel and I'm new here. (As you can probably tell).

Is this PDF something that has to be bought or just downloaded?

Either way, can someone give me a link?

I apologize if the answer is in the open and I just don't see it. I'm not new to forums however I am new as a pyro. Although while I am new, I'm also well educated. I didn't seem to find an "Introduction" thread either. I couldn't find it in the downloads section.

Edited by tradami

do u happen to have the book of pyro u can send by chance.

Over the last few weeks, I've talked with Harry Gilliam and his programmer, Brian, several times. We've arrived at an agreement that should benefit ALL of us.

Our mutual intent is to provide beginners with a safe, modern, and easy-to-follow method to get into the hobby of Amateur Pyrotechnics.

And the Turbo Pyro book/kit looks to be the first venture to that end.

It's been a long time since Tom Peregrin wrote his book, "Introductory Practical Pyrotechnics", and some of the information within it is now dated.

It still remains a very good resource, however it IS expensive. Pyrotechnics Publishing is a VERY small market, and printing costs are phenomenal for a small run of only a few hundred (or a few dozen) books.

With the release of this PDF, it is hoped that more people will become interested in Pyrotechnics.

And power, lies within numbers. The Federal government is continuing to violate our rights to enjoy life, all in the name of "what's good for us".

Please add your comments.

I know a lot of us are FAR beyond the beginner stage, and I suspect that will be the main reason many won't download it.

But if that's the case, please add a note why, if you don't mind?

Thank you!

Edited by PYRO666

• 1 month later...

Hey, this is just a NEW update on Turbo Pyro and how to get it for about $125 off.

If you go to the Skylighter.com website, and opt-in to the newsletter there, (even if you did it before and are already on the list), you will receive a several videos over a few days. At the end of the sequence, you can grab Turbo Pyro a the special price.

Harry Gilliam

Chief Cook & Bottlewasher

http://www.Skylighter.com

• 3 weeks later...
I downloaded it after buying the kit from Skylighter. It is very informative and really offers a step by step practical start into pyrotechnics. I think a lot of folks never get into pyro because of the lack of quality instruction. You can ask questions on forums all day long. It seems for every 10 pyros you get 20 different opinions. What makes it work well is that It slowly builds up solid technique to continually build on. After all, it is what got me hooked.

• 2 months later...

Gee, I paid for this one. At least I got the kit and chems though. :)

This is how I got started doing this stuff last May. Between Harry and Ned, I have gone from knowing nothing about this hobby to lobbing 6-8" shells without problem and making all my own stuff from scratch. I only wish I had gotten it sooner in life. I wasted 48 years lighting expensive commercial fireworks that did ALMOST what I wanted them to do. Now, I make my own that do exactly what I want them to do, with my favorite colors and inserts. It had changed my life for the better.

As Ned told me once in an email, "Everyone needs a creative way to express themselves" and this is mine for sure. wub.gif

ANYONE who thinks Ned is something less than an absolute gentleman and complete pyrotechnical EXPERT is someone who is at least two fries short of a Happy Meal IMO. Ned and Harry both are two of the best that this hobby ever produced.

Edited by warthog

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is this still available to download? I can't find it in the download section guys.

me either.

• 4 months later...

[edit]

but seriously, I think that Visser document is the best thing I've found. This collection would take a couple years to read through and many of the documents are old and highly technical. You might as well read the complete set of military manuals while you're at it.

Edited by Mumbles

• 3 weeks later...

TurboPyro is how I really got into true pyro.....I bought it from the initial offering. Have been building tools, collecting chemicals and reading, reading, reading as well as practicing incessantly ever since.

Just haven't ever gotten on here and registered before.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm lives in Sweden and can not longer order from Harrys company "Skylight. Makes me angry when it shud be so hard to find supplyes to my hobby...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is the Turbo Pyro book the one, you can just download from Skylighter, which shows how to make 10 different devices and all these basic things? Or is there an other book too?

If not, why does everyone write that it isn't free?

Edited by schroedinger