APC Forum

Have you downloaded the Turbo Pyro Book?

TheSidewinder

Feedback to satisfy our curiosity  

504 members have voted

1. 1. Have you downloaded the Turbo Pyro PDF? Will you?

• Yes, I've downloaded it.
    • No, I have NOT downloaded it, but I will!
    • No, I have NOT downloaded it, and won't (for whatever reason).

Hello! I'm new here!

After a couple of years of considering taking up pyrotechnics, and doing lots of research, I decided to buy TurboPyro when it came around. I honestly expected more for $197, but I knew what I was getting when I bought it. My purpose was to gain a basic understanding of fireworks construction, even though my primary interest is in aerial shell design. I like rockets too, as long as they are heading toward the sky and not me. For years, I have done an annual 1.4g show for family and friends (about 60 people) and it's a huge deal for us. The average show is about $2000, and lasts about 30 minutes. I do not use electronic ignition, so I spend 8-10 hours hand fusing all the cakes and mortars for proper timing to music and all that fun stuff. Because of the constant urging by friends to make aerial shells for our show, I decided to get started by ordering the kit.

In general, the kit is nice, but overpriced in my opinion. My drill guide for stingers was broken when I unpacked the tooling box. Apparently, that plastic is too thin for the stress of the metal tube that is stuck into the jig. I did fix it, but the guide still does not line up with the tube properly. If I used the guide, I'd be cutting a notch in the side of the tube instead of drilling into it on a tangent line to the inner perimeter of the tube. That disappointed me a little. The book alone is a pretty nice thing to have, as it does cover most basic fireworks. While I view myself as a beginner in pyrotechnics, I guess I have quite a head start from the volume of reading I have done, and prior experience in chemical and manufacturing industries. I would have been better off if Ned would market a Gorsky bauble-head that would answer my random pyro questions.

Before I received the TurboPyro kit, I went ahead and accumulated some things I needed/wanted. I acquired two ball mills and four barrels, for milling BP and chemicals. BP is pretty expensive if you can get it, but I can get materials at a relatively low price, and ball mills don't require my presence, so it seems like a good idea. I had to go through all the Orange Book stuff to get set up before I bought anything, and that was really a pain. I mean, if a shell flowerpots in the center of 25 acres in the middle of nowhere on private property, will the ATF hear it? Anyway, one magazine and many hundreds of dollars later, I can officially make a sparkler without being arrested.

I have found so many pyro articles with false, erroneous, or misleading information that I don't trust anything. 20 minutes of watching kids blow up flash salutes on Youtube will give you a pretty good education as far as the general populace is concerned when it comes to fireworks. A fireworks safety video will make you want to scream and water your garden with sports drink. Has anyone ever held their own face over a lit fountain for more than a second? Did you know that it would melt your face off if your head was made of styrofoam and you could endure the inferno for all three minutes? So, at the risk of offending millions of mothers angry about whatever, I am going to make and test several batches of black powder to see what works best for me. I'm starting with the red gum black powder from Skylighter's site, and trying various charcoals and mill times to see what I end up with. Once that's done, I'll move on to Veline's stars and probably glitter. I'm anxious to fire off some shells, but I just need to make sure they will reach their destination before I try one. In short, because there are so many idiots trying to teach people how to blow themselves to pieces on the internet, I must do a lot of testing and proceed cautiously. No lead, chlorates, or flash for me, thank you very much.

Overall, TurboPyro is probably not really the best start for me personally, but I must agree that it is a great resource for beginners. In my case, it would have been more economical to just buy the components I needed and move on with my testing. generally, though, TurboPyro gave me the urge to start doing something instead of reading about it all the time. Now my shed is full of screens, and funnels, and stuff that every genuine southerner should have at home. Who can survive without a star gun and 1000 yards of fast visco, seriously? DO NOT THROW AWAY THAT PAINT CAN, DEAR. IT HAS A FUTURE. "Have you seen the waxed paper?" "The roll I stole from the kitchen? Nope, I didn't take it outside and leave it by the shed where it soaked in rain last night. Ask the dog."

That's all I have. I'd recommend TurboPyro for anyone with little or no experience with fireworks assembly, since it covers most projects a sensible person would want to start with, and most importantly, it doesn't require any rare, illegal, or exceptionally toxic chemicals. Don't get me wrong - you cannot eat the goodies in your kit, but if you follow the instructions, you should do just fine. Get a respirator, painter's grade. It's worth it about the time you start weighing airfloat charcoal and sulfur. As a bonus, you can really make your neighbors worry if you always wear the respirator and a disposable white suit when you go outside, and use a metal detector to sweep their yard. If they ask any questions, just say "Radon" and keep sweeping.

Edited by dbryceman

• 2 weeks later...
I mean, if a shell flowerpots in the center of 25 acres in the middle of nowhere on private property, will the ATF hear it?

They will if my next door neighbor is in the state somewhere :angry:

• 4 weeks later...
can some one please send me a copy of turbo pyro to my email adress as the free turbo pyro has ended and their making a nother one so its unavailable so could some kind person send me a copy to deleted i would realy apriceate it (thanks) Edited by Mumbles

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just joined these forums, so a big hi to everyone!

Joined after looking for many resources on the pyro topic, found this forum to be the best around so I jumped on-board.

I'm very new to this world, I got gifted a bag of KNO3 and told to go buy some sugar and 'have fun'. So far though, as I don't have scales all I've been able to do is make a weak paper fuse and lookin into wayd of grinding/milling the KNO3.

Scales should be here in the next day or two then I'll try these sugar rockets and move on and up to BP/etc from there, I guess.

Anyone else here in New Zealand?

Edit: Fixed typos.

Edited by ChrisNZ

Just joined these forums, so a big hi to everyone!

Joined after looking for many resources on the pyro topic, found this forum to be the best around so I jumped on-board.

I'm very new to this world, I got gifted a bag of KNO3 and told to go buy some sugar and 'have fun'. So far though, as I don't have scales all I've been able to do is make a weak paper fuse and lookin into wayd of grinding/milling the KNO3.

Scales should be here in the next day or two then I'll try these sugar rockets and move on and up to BP/etc from there, I guess.

Anyone else here in New Zealand?

Edit: Fixed typos.

Welcome! And I think we have a few members from New Zealand... I know at least one as he sent me a picture of his shoot site over there, a VERY pretty place New Zealand is.

If you want to start wihout a ballmill (Which you are going to need at some point if you wish to make black powder) I would buy a cheap coffee grinder to mill your KNO3, mind you though, NEVER mill any fuel or metal with a coffee mill if you've ground an oxidizer in it.

I accually wrote up a long email to a friend who was thinking about pyrotechnics, about the whole prosses of making smoke bombs out of KNO3 and sugar. I would love you share it with you if you want.

Enjoy the forum!

I'm also a new guy on the forum, and need to reply to a post to activate my account, it seems. This seems a good one.

I did download the TurboPyro book when it was offered - I've been doing business with Skylighter for a couple of years now in my other hobby, high power rocketry.

TP has some great info, neat projects, and when the kit/tooling was cheap it seemed a pretty good deal.

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
yes, downloaded it without buying the kit!! I can't wait to get started. I wish skylighter would sell some of the fuses they use in less then a 100' roll!! Just because they are out of the kits, doesn't mean people can't get the supplies, but I don't really need that much fuse (yet). :)

I see that you can get some of the fuse, but I don't see that they have the "super fast paper fuse" nor the "Thin Chineese Visco" - 1mm 5sec / in.

• 2 weeks later...
I bought the Turbo Pyro kit when they sold it around July 6, 2010. I must say I enjoyed building all the little projects in the book. My wife & step-son really seemed to enjoy them. Still trying to work the kinks out of a few things. Namely my rockets but think that has to do with my chemicals for the black powder not being ground enough resulting in a black powder that is slightly too weak for the job. Either way I'm happy with the purchase. Am looking at making a ball mill my next purchase and then getting the supplies to mix up some D1 glitter stars and maybe the rainbow rubber star kit from skylighter to add some different colors to my pallette.

Add one more new guy to the list here :) just starting out, but I have loved fireworks for as long as I can remember.. and I have made a promise to my self to learn as much as possible, and have a blast at the same time:) one of the perks i can collect after a long divorce, is there is now wife around to say I cant anymore :) I dont know if I missed the link or not.. I will have to dig around a little bit.. i have watched this forum for a few weeks now and I know where my home will be.. right here :) you guys all seam like a highly knowledgeable grope that loves to help others.. so here I am :)

• 2 weeks later...

you guys all seam like a highly knowledgeable grope that loves to help others.. so here I am :)

You will fit in fine here ;)

I tried to download the file but skylighter isn't offering it any longer.

EDIT: didn't read before where it says it can't be posted here.

you should do now, as you are now a "full member" you only become a full member once you reply to a post somewhere on APC.

thanks. i was confused about that.

I am not sure if you want this posted, and if you dont sorry about it, but here is a link to the download page for the book: http://tp.skylighter.com/turbo-pyro/book1.asp?b=1

Its still on the turbo pyro website so I think it is OK. It helped me out a lot so I would recommend it.

Question..... is that link reachable from the Skylighter main site itself? If so, I think it would be ok. But if that's a cached link that Harry simply forgot about, then no. Have to be on the up and up about it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you for asking if I downloaded Turbo book, and I have not. I have little interest in someone who writes immature articles about blowing up coffee cans in their backyard. I am a seasoned pyrotechnist who is interested in the art

and science of inventing and producing fabulous fireworks. I have a vested interest. IS THERE ANYONE on the same page?

Thank you for asking if I downloaded Turbo book, and I have not. I have little interest in someone who writes immature articles about blowing up coffee cans in their backyard. I am a seasoned pyrotechnist who is interested in the art

and science of inventing and producing fabulous fireworks. I have a vested interest. IS THERE ANYONE on the same page?

Ned Gorski writes "immature articles"? Here is video of one of his "coffee cans".

Hell of a way to start here, first opinions and all... :glare:

BTW- have you read the name APC? Amateur is the first word and it seems that the most seasoned pyros here are the most helpful. Do you want to try that whole 'I am better then God' thing again?

-dag