APC Forum

Plans for the 4th of july?

FUZE

A Roman Candle fight on my birthday, which coincidentally falls on July 4th. Other than that nothing because my chems wont be here by then.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• asilentbob

• DeAdFX

• crazyboy25

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow al that sucks. Ive made a habit of journeying out there for the 4th every summer to shoot off my crap that I built becuase I knew noone cared. Although I doubt the effectiveness of said force becuase of how many people shoot off aerial stuff.

A Roman Candle fight on my birthday, which coincidentally falls on July 4th. Other than that nothing because my chems wont be here by then.

Like shooting at yourselves? Oh nice.....very safe. Why not throw salutes at each other in front of the CPSC headquarters?? And soon this idiot will have chems....scary thought.

Jeeesh, look....I know this is hard sometimes.....but try thinking BEFORE you do something stupid. :rolleyes:

Yea that does sound especially stupid. Why not try pointing them at the sky? Seriously dont do it. It is a terrible waste.

Nahh theyre cheap; a dime a dozen. Not quite, but like 50 cents apiece. It doesnt hurt anyways. And it always rains in july here, so nothing will be catching fire. Besides, why just shoot them into the sky when you can play tag, hide and seek, etc and make the night more memorable.

Sure, as long as the night's memories don't include someone losing an eye from a star, or fingers from the candle exploding (and they DO explode at times).

A Roman Candle fight is an accident just waiting to happen. And if something DOES happen, guess who the police will go after, and the DA will prosecute?

That's right..... YOU.

And that's to say nothing of the bad name you'll give those of us with enough common sense not to do stupid shit like that.

Find another medium for your "fun", eh?

M

the company i work for does the show in the town where Firefox is located. it is huge, $60,000.00 worth. id like to go but i will be doing a show in my town, so i dont have to drive 4 hours, only 10 minutes.

Drive another hour from where firefox is located and you can see a show worth several hundred thousand in my city. They do the show every year. It is paid for by a local multi million dollar business. It is an awesome show! A couple years ago they bragged saying it was the best show West of the Mississippi. Im not sure if that is still the case, but it is always an awesome show.

Well it might be the best west of the mississippi cause the macy's show in the east river in new york city has got to be one of the best on this side of the mississippi.

found out yesterday we will be doing the same 4th of july show this year as last. setting off $20,000.00 worth of shells, aweome, 1100 shells 2 inch to 12 inch!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the opportunity to witness a 12” shell being shot, wow was that amazing! The lift charge is something like I have never seen or imagined. I got it on video too, I should upload it when I get chance.

I have some personal plans if I ever get my ball mill up and running. I want to make a kamkuro shell for one. I'd also like to try some insert and multiple break shells.

Other than that, I think I am shooting for some companies. Well, not shooting, as I can't legally do the shooting, but doing bitch work and gettng my PGI shooter's certification. I think there are around 5 or 6 lined up.

• 1 month later...
Well, my count is in. 6 4" shells 22 3" shells, 3 3" bag mines, and a case of 2" commercial festival balls that aren't shown.http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e301/justanotherpyro/pre-firingpictureJuly4th2006.jpg

Nice stock pile! I "should" have, when Im done, about 7 3" cans with salute inserts, 15 3" ball shells, 6 3" salute cans, 8 4" ball shells, 12 mini aerial salute mortars. Then a bunch of salutes and what not. I should have went electrical this year, so I wouldn't have to roll so much quick match tube tonight :( All well, thats what my friends are coming over for! :D Time to form an assembly line.

I'll just probably end up going to a professional show or two. I do plan on launching one 3 inch shell I made. It's my first one ever. Mosquitoes are just too bad here to really enjoy the Fourth. It's a shame that I have the knowledge to make fireworks but yet I make next to nothing for the Fourth. I think next year will be the year that I finally make a large stockpile of stuff. Just need to learn star rolling and become confindent in my shell-making abilities.

Were in about the same situation DB. Im going to light off my first 3" shell too. :D I also made an FCS, two 1.5" mines, a 2" ball shell, one salute, and a couple little weird things I made with my leftover crap. Its not much but this will be the first 4th Ive made shells, so Im happy.

Ok, here is my stockpile, actually the product of yesterday and today, which will be added to justanotherpyro's.

-----

11 - 3/4" x 3 1/2" BP/Hybrid Rockets with Commercial artillery as header.

7 - 3/4" x 3 1/2" Mg/Hybrid Rockets with home made headers.

2 - 3/4" x 3 1/2" Al Hybrid Rockets, no headers.

http://actiontekjackson.freepgs.com/HPIM2075.JPGhttp://actiontekjackson.freepgs.com/HPIM2076.JPG

http://actiontekjackson.freepgs.com/HPIM2077.JPGhttp://actiontekjackson.freepgs.com/HPIM2078.JPG

Since my friends didn't end up comming it became a test day/night.

From totse:

I got some crap quality video from 2 digital cameras and some stills, one looks pretty freaking sweet, but... well ill explain from the top...

Ok, so i brought 2 1-1/2" spherical shells, 2 3" spherical shells, and one toilet paper roll star mine plus many salutes of varing compositions. Oh, and a naphthalene charge.

The salutes that were in hand rolled tubes were all perfect, hella loud, mostly AP/DBSP and AP/flour. The CuO/Al ones were freaking loud and really bright too. The bottle cap APF (AP/flour) salutes wern't very impressive unless i really packed them up. The APDBSP ones were still hella loud as they were after-all, detonating. CuO/Al in the bottle caps was still pretty loud and very bright, but it is like impossible to seal the caps up using the light 2 layer ducktape pattern i usually use. Somehow the powder manages to leak everytime. I could make like cardboard plugs, but a little too troublesome for me... I still have many salutes left. And, since i still have quite a bit of CuO/Al left, im thinking of making like 3 bigger salutes, then use the rest to det.

All of the shells, and the mine had a common problem, the blackmatch/quickmatch fuse. I was in a hurry and just used scotch tape folded over the blackmatch, it was either too tight or to thin and melted before it could quickmatch on me, which was desired.

The 2 1-1/2" shells worked perfect, reached the perfect height, were dead in air when they burst, and it appeared that all the stars lit. I used slight duct tape wrapping of the shells to try to get them a snugger fit in the tube.

One of the 3" shells worked perfect, it seemed to go up and up and up, then right when it was dead in air, boom, it had 4 BP/steel stars, they all lit, but one burned a little too long, hit a tree, then the ground before going out. I expected that they would burn too long. I got 2 vids of it, i feel like there was something more in it... I don't remember. The other 3" shell didn't go off, the fuse got within like 3" of the lift charge and went out... I retrieved it many many minutes after lighting it and it can be fixed, i just have to pull off some crapy looking tape and add a better fuse and new lift charge. It would have been the best though, a huge sphere of red stars.

The star mine worked, but i was walking back towards my family about to set up the next mortor when it went off after waiting for like 2 minutes. I was turning around to see the stars when they were burning out... sad. We got a still in "fireworks" mode, which is like slightly extended exposure or something, it looks pretty neat.

So, i don't know when ill upload the pics, i may wait untill i use up the rest of the stuff and take more pictures and videos. AND have friends come... Mabey a friend with a proper DV cam...

well tonight I learned the lesson that you should always test a new batch of quickmatch before fusing a whole set piece together :rolleyes: luckily most of the wheel was done with a good batch so it was still pretty cool.. I had to relight the set piece three times though lol <_<

My fourth was fairly benign(sp). 10 grams of KClO3/Mg shavings/Al powder and 40 grams of KClO3/sugar and a few commerical fireworks. I didn't have any time to make a "great" fourth.

The flashpowder left a bright blue dot in the certain of my vision. The flash wasn't confined so their was no report at all. The chlorate and sugar made a nice blue color with a slight rumble or whatever. I had a blast....

I made a dozen or so 2 and 3 inch shells that all worked nicely, a 5 shot roman canfle that went well... a 1/2 rocket that CATOd beautifuly ;)

hehe good times... a couple of aerial salutes that were nice also

just aobut everthing we had was store bought, we had 10 500g cakes, about 75 mortor shells, a dosen or so nice rockets, excluding the few gross of bottle rockets, a dosen candles and some little fountens, also some home made boomers for the kids lol

well our plans where to shoot on the 1st as thats the day the pros were shooting over the lake that we were at,

keeping an eye on the weather reports said rain for at about 3 and 11 with lots of wind

so we decided to run over to see about getting a car runnin that had broken down all the way accrost town, after dickin with it for 2 hours and still nothing, we decided to leave it till another day, and my dad locked the keys in it so we had to go make a slim jim at my bros house, wich took a good hour to get done. after we finly got the keys out of the car it was almost 4 , about 4 hours after we wanted to go start seting up

when we finly got there and started my dad and i couldnt agree on any thing how to set things up, we had a strong head wind, and just about every problem you could think of expecpt rain

we finly got done just as dark was seting in and they were about to start the show

the pros show was nice and ran a good 45 min or so when they got done the winds where really starting to pick up and not more then 2 min after the rain started but it was only sprinkling so after a good 10 min we decided to fire our show so we lite the fuse and let it go, it would havce been ok but we were using the NON water proof visco type fuse so it kept getting getting wet and going out. finly it started to poor so we decided to call it quites, and had a mad dash to get everthing out of the rain,

we did have this one really cool cake, called the guillotine, it was round about 2-2 1/2 feet and it shot alot of whisle shells up then shot this big round disk about a foot way up in the air and it hoverd like a UFO, its a must buy if you ever run acrost it.

so on the 2nd we deceide sence our show was a bust that we will send everything up on sunday, we still had all our mortor shells as the wind would not let us light them the night befor, and about half our cakes along with a few little fountins and some candles

everting was going good till the last and bigest cake,not reallly a cake but board with 9 3" tubes on it and one of the tubes tiped over and shot a shell acrost the ground just missing a little old ladys head by 6 in or less and exploded on the naboirs porch, i think she needed to change her depends after that lol but luckly no one got hurt,

i urge any one that has somthing on a board like this to take the time to reinforce these tubes this one only had alittle bit of plasitic around the base of the tubes i really wish i would have took the time to tape the tops of the tubes also ill make sure i do this for now on, i cant even imagine what whould have happend to her had that shell exploded that close to her head OUCH!!!

oh and i almost forgot about an hour after we were done the cops showed up and said that they had not one but sevral complaints of fireworks, he didnt do any thing but just gave us a warning lol

thats how you know you have a good show if the cops come out lol

Edited by radiorecker

That guillotine cake sounds intriguing. You say the disk hovered 1 foot in the air? Sounds like a girandola, but I've never heard of one hovering like that.

You had 3" mortars on a board? Sounds like you're lucky only one tipped over! How were they attached to the board?

no the disk hoverd a good 150 feet up with a nice humm then exploded with a bunch of stars i do havce a pic of it befor it fired and a vid of it in action how ever the vid kinda sucks as my camera is a still camera that takes crapy video

i dont really know how they attached to the board as i never really looked at but my dad has it and ill ask him next time i talk to him

but yeah it was somting esle never seen any thing like it

heres a pic of it also could someone point me to good a site that i can upload a vid of it would really like to share

post-9-1152156021_thumb.jpg

If you have a gmail account you can use video.google.com, if not just do a google search for free video upload. There are several good sites.