APC Forum

Hints and tips for Australians

mike_au

• 4 weeks later...
hello im fairly new to pyro done a few fountains and a few shells having issues with the shells need time fuse or visco so i can wrap it and use for time fuse anyone in vic making it and could sell to me and also help me with sourcing a few parts for my own visco machine also i have heard talk about bunnings having kno3 anyone know if their any in vic might have to get a few bags of it and some supply's for my garden while im at it

I've been out of the loop for a bit, but it was possible to get visco in from overseas (with a bit of work) so most people are probably doing that rather than trying to make it. I'd love a visco machine, but they look like a fair bit of work to get up and running reliably and none of the home made ones I've seen come close to commercial quality fuse. While you are trying to get visco sorted, try out spoolettes, you can make a functional shell using just blackmatch and spoolettes.

For KNO3 you will probably have better luck at a rural supply store than bunnings. Call around the general store/stock feed type places in nearby country towns.

• 1 month later...

hello im fairly new to pyro done a few fountains and a few shells having issues with the shells need time fuse or visco so i can wrap it and use for time fuse anyone in vic making it and could sell to me and also help me with sourcing a few parts for my own visco machine also i have heard talk about bunnings having kno3 anyone know if their any in vic might have to get a few bags of it and some supply's for my garden while im at it

items sent stiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiill awaiting payment if your still on this planet.

• 7 months later...
this is a little out there but if anyone has some spare lengths laying around i'm in dire need of some real visco i am over using sparklers and making black match is a pita i will prevail soon i guess, thanks anyone. i am awaiting a few leads atm so eh, keep safe fellow maniacs.

making blackmatch is my favorite thing to do.

I give away a lot just to have an excuse to make more

I feel for down under pyro's, your regulations are getting ridiculous

Edited by Algenco

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I used to make bottle rockets w/effects(stars etc) a few years back, but limited to finaces and chem supplies I moved out of the hobby for a while till such time as I was in a better position.

Thanks to this forum I believe a return is nigh! :D

I'm planning starting on my first shells and am wondering where the best place to get some 1-3" hemis would be? And mortors to suite (:

I'm in the perth area and am also after some visco and/or time fuse if anyone can help?

I emailed Forbesws.com and got a reply within a few hrs, it's freight to wa at about 85$ :( but can stack up to 30(10m) rolls on that one order :)

Was wondering if anyone has dealt with them and if they recieved their product, also what the fuse quality is like from them and the thickness, thanks guys!

Yeah, seems diverse is closed at the mo'.

Hopefully they'll be open again soon (:

I am curious as to wether anyone in the perth region has access to perc, of which they may let some go, for a price...? :P

I am having trouble with very expensive perc too... literally burning money here. I am really feeling I should just get a 1 gram platinum bar and have a go at this... if I can somehow form the bar into usable anode.

Jst4lolz, I get my hemi's from Diverse when open, and I have gotten some from Pyrodirect (the postage is a killer thou to West Aust).

K Perch I get from the east coast, and posted over. Places like KBsupplies etc.

TrueBlue doesn't supply somethings any more (well my last email for MgAl wasn't answered).

A few other assorted items I source internationally (visco etc).

I have had 2 shipments from one place (first being 10m of 2.2mm Visco and 2nd being 100m of 3mm Visco and time fuse) That place is currently out and I'm trying another source that will ship to Aust.

Cheers MrW,

I would be very interested in possibly throwing in for some visco(3mm) and time fuse with your next order if possible?

How does one go about getting said perch posted from the E.S?

Legal issues and what not...

Do you mean Freakydutchman's store? Is he the only one willing to ship visco? Customs don't seem to care about it, and the declaration form even said "visco" on it. Maybe if someone can buy bulk percs from a Chinese supplier then everyone on this side can split it...

I have gotten some from Freakdutchman. Also with a lot of persistence, I have found a number of other suppliers (in the UK) and have confirmed by email that they will ship to OZ, yet to be tested. The place I obtained my Kperch from is out at the moment, and not sure of its return, so I when I had some spare $$ I ordered up before it ran out.

Do you know who they are? I tried pyrogarage but they wouldn't ship to Taiwan but I've heard they'll ship to Australia... I guess it's more to do with familiarity. I know if it can get into Australia it can get into Taiwan because I am pretty sure Australia is much more restrictive.

I have an email from pyogarage, they wont ship to oz. From memory pyrosupplies.co.uk do, I currently have an order thru pyrosupplies.moonfruit.com (see how that goes). Pyroplanet is still out of action, but it seems you can email them (not that I have tried yet) and pyrowales.com site mentions world wide. Hope this helps

Thanks, those suppliers are a little more expensive than Freakydutchman's store (because the price is the same only it's in quids rather than euros) but they'll do... I rather not try making my own visco because I've read even with a machine it's no where near as good as commercial visco. I don't care much about blackmatch/quickmatch though because it's really easy to make them.

I wonder what do you guys do about percs, make a cell or buy bulk?

It seems Pyrowales is similar to KBsupplies, In that they have a waiver you must accept before purchase, seems they ship worldwide, I emailed them for a country list and shipping rates, no reply as of yet.

Would be good to be able to receive fuse from them(interested in the flying fish/falling leaf, have

wanted to try some for a while now :P)

Depending on shipping rates...

I am interested in knowing, what are the laws/leg/reg around fuse(import/owning it)?

Also pyro materials(hemis, motors etc) are they classified 'illegal' aswell, or are we able to import/purchase?

Cheers :)

I think it depends on country. Paper products like hemi is hard to regulate, you can always call it something else like Christmas ornaments.

As for fuses I don't know, I guess it depends on what each country classify them as, for example if they're classified as fireworks then a permit would be needed for import. But I really think the bigger issue is with whether or not carriers are willing to ship them, or if the supplier is able to ship them with said carriers. I am sure you could always label fuses as yarn or wires, however not all suppliers will do that.

Unfortunatly in Aus, our customs are not so easily fooled, and if something comes in that shouldn't, It' usually gets picked up :/

Early this morning I got a reply from pyrowales, stating they ship here and do so regularly apparently, I went ahead and ordered 25ft(not much) for 33$AU

Including postage I believe.

Will let you know how it goes.