APC Forum

What did you do today in pyro?

dagabu

Rockets? Look what i dug out below,i think its a very old method as in hundreds of years.Safe,predictable and works every time,however i only claim to know Bp and Colored fuels and rocket motor dynamics,the shells and the rest of it i leave to you guys,God bless stay safe.

Edited by OnePoundMarc

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing with Lloyd's quick shot gerbs and they're getting better! Caleb built me an experimental set of tooling to allow me to make these nozzleless with a very thin layer of comp on the tube wall which makes for a quick burn.

post-20116-0-28344300-1480744236_thumb.jpg

Here's my first test with some Yellow+Ti. I pressed a bit onto the skinny part of the spindle which accounts for the slow die down rather than a snap finish but I can adjust for that. It was around a 30' plume which I'm very happy with.

Well, it finally started getting cold here (relatively speaking so hush up yanks) so I've had to shift my little shop to Valley Forge mode. Cleaned, dusted and wet wiped the place and put an oil filled radiator out here. I'll study and build shell casings, cut tubes and work on my BM machine frame and thread dispensers while waiting on a non-frigid day here and there to get my table out and make some stuff for NYE.

I know you norts and Russians will build a pyro igloo to work in but below 30F is intolerable here!

Tonight is our first night officially below freezing so far. My weather station says it's the third but it doesn't matter I guess. Cold is cold.

It's climate change now. That way they can blame all bad weather on America.

They say this is a lead in to the colder stuff coming next week.

lol..

we hit 8 last night. :D

Supposed to be 16 here tonight so it's twice as warm. (I'll keep telling myself these things until spring)

Was 0°F with windchill yesterday.

A little better today....the wind died down

Was 0°F with windchill yesterday.

Edited by chuckufarley

Currently 44 Celsius (111 fahrenheit) where I am in Australia.

I'll take my 18F thank you very much!

And we feel comfortable in 20C! wezoAU, you have no right tempting us to toast our soles in your wonderful (now Summer) climate!

Lloyd

I'll take my 18F thank you very much!

Its not as hot as it was last year, last year in the drought it was 46 Celsius , it was hot enough to start melting distorting the plastic parts I had on my shoes.

And we feel comfortable in 20C! wezoAU, you have no right tempting us to toast our soles in your wonderful (now Summer) climate!

Lloyd

Yer, and I would be freezing in those temperatures. I struggle enough when winter comes around and it gets down to like 18/15 Celsius

Edited by wezoAU

It seems odd to celebrate Christmas and NYE in the middle of summer.

For two years running my brother has been in the coldest place possible for summer(southern hemisphere) employment during the Christmas season.

South pole station

Antarctica

Mostly hes been stationed in McMurdo but it worked out the last two years he's spent Christmas at the south pole

No no, he's got it all wrong. Everyone knows that Santa lives on the North Pole, not the South! Or has he been naughty and is trying to evade Santa for Christmas? ;)

In all seriousness, though, what does he do there? I understand there's a lot of biology, geology, oceanography, and climatology research done there.

Unless Santa is 6'6" skinny, with 4' dreadlocks I'm pretty sure hes in the right place

Hes what they call there a "fuelie". He's part of the crew that helps transfer fuel to the various stations and vehicles there.

He himself doesn't do any scientific research. Just helps to keep the facilities that do, stay running

Dag,

You might as well get the snow blower running and just leave it running for the next couple of days.

When I lived in Minnesota there were several really cold weeks where I kept my vehicle filled and left it

running day and night. There were numerous vehicles that had to be towed and put in a warm shop before

they could get them started.

It was sub-zero temperatures for about a month straight and then it got cold. :-)

Dag,

You might as well get the snow blower running and just leave it running for the next couple of days.

When I lived in Minnesota there were several really cold weeks where I kept my vehicle filled and left it

running day and night. There were numerous vehicles that had to be towed and put in a warm shop before

they could get them started.

It was sub-zero temperatures for about a month straight and then it got cold. :-)

PFFFT! That ole snowblower starts at -20! Too cold to snow when it gets lower than that.

I garage the wife's and my cars, they stay clean and dry all winter long. They always start, even at -35°F, all gasoline fueled. The dump-truck, plow truck, Tool-Cat and backhoe are diesels and they all live inside too, the shop is heated and all three have blades/scoops/pushers, they face the doors so its trivial to plow us out.

we are still getting rain every day, the temp has been around 85 f everyday. the humidity is up into the 80's makes it real hard to get stuff dry. normal temp is 92 with no rain and 50 to 60's in the humidity. not normal.... the good thing is we have no snow !!!!! and no ice. damn I glad ..