APC Forum

What did you do today in pyro?

dagabu

Mixed up a bunch of colored gerb comps for color changing saxons, pressed a dozen 3# Ti gerbs and 6- 1# rocket motors with Ti delay for the ground bloom insert and color shells I'm lighting off at the company cookout next weekend. Going to attempt my first 1" fan cake as well. This will be my first shoot of any of my stuff in front of people other than family and fellow pyros so wish me luck!

• Like 1

OldMarine,

What could possibly go wrong? :o

Don't take any short cuts, and have fun!

Hehe, you must not have seen my "Spanish Blew" shell! I'm putting a clay bulkhead in from now on!

I finished up a few 1" ID double voice crackers, after testing MANY of them for 'consistency' these are what I have left at this time.

gallery_9798_35_320010.jpg

3/4" ID double voice crackers, they don't look as good due to the scratching but I'll have that all figured out later today when I make more.

gallery_9798_35_1162512.jpg

Edited by dagabu

I hope to have MANY videos this year, SWMBO has mandated I spend a good percentage of my time at PGI taking pictures this year.

• Like 1

I've spent that last couple of weekends experimenting with a new crackling flower prime/titanium combination I devised myself, which finally seems to have paid off...

Here's a ground test of 5 stars:

And a small mine with about 30 stars:

I'm very happy with the results. Next I intent to test them in a small bombette, before I try to repeat the results with a larger batch.

what was the prime and dragon egg composition used ?

I just tested the crackling flowers in a 3/4" bombette...

http://pyrobin.com/files/Bombette%20Gif.gif

There were about 75 stars (3.5 - 4mm) and 1/8tsp of 7/3 flash powder.

It doesn't look like any more than about half ignited though, too much delay and inconsistent timing, so not as much overlap as I'd like. Sparks were looking a bit sparse as well... it's a work in progress.

Edited by Pyrophury
  • Like 1

Finished rolling about 300 Buell Slow Gold stars up to 9mm this afternoon, they have final rough layer of green mix BP...

http://pyrobin.com/files/Slow%20Gold%20-%20Buell.jpg

Took a sample star at 1mm intervals, just because...

http://pyrobin.com/files/Star%20Growth.jpg

• Like 3

Nice lookin stuff guys!

I started rebuilding old girandolas, the plastic motor casings looked good still so I just reloaded them with hot BP and a clay plug. I'll just drill them out to make nozzles.

gallery_9798_35_324243.jpg

gallery_9798_35_417124.jpg

gallery_9798_35_245147.jpg

gallery_9798_35_534005.jpg

• Like 2

Rolled those flitter stars up another few mm and rolled some matching titanium stars with a combo of turnings and fine TiDi.

Weighed and milled some crossette comp but I had to make a few substitutions, I ran out of SGRS (I'm not a fan of dextrin) so it was either phenolic resin, vinsol resin, or red gum to bind (suppose I could have used parlon too). I also thought I had some 80 mesh charcoal but apparently not, I considered swapping for lampblack but went for FeTi. We'll see how, or if, they turn out but I'm hopeful! Anyone ever try pumping phenolic resin?

44...Potassium Nitrate

12...Charcoal, Mixed Hardwood Airfloat

12...Charcoal, 80 Mesh Ferrotitanium, 30-60 Mesh

12...Charcoal, 36 Mesh, Commercial

10...SGRS Phenolic Resin

05...Sulfur

05...Antimony Trisulfide, Chinese Needle -325 Mesh

Edited by AzoMittle

Yes, I use hexamine for crosslinking and warm to about 130°F to instant-harden them and drive off the alcohol. I make a syrup in advance of the resin, hex and alc so that it mixes easily with the comp, run it through a screen X3 to distribute and press rather lightly. Longer dwell times make a mess, its on/off the hydraulic pressure.

Cleanup is messy, have a cloth with alcohol handy.

Made a small batch of 4mm white strobe stars with my adjustable star slicer.

http://pyrobin.com/files/Star%20Slicer.jpg

I wet the composition until it became the consistency of soft modeling clay, rolled it out flat between a couple of lollipop sticks to get the right thickness, then slowly rolled the disc slicer though horizontally and then vertically... easy!

• Like 1

oh hell , i like that . so much better than a onion dicer, you should put up a link on where to buy it. i anm sure of people would like too know, me included.

memo

it is nice Lloyd, maybe he has a new business ? or one in the making.

memo

Lloyd are you going to PGI ? or are you waiting for videos like a lot of us. ???

The closest thing I found for sale online was an adjustable dough divider, but they usually only have 6 slicers.

Memo,

I'm presently working on some (explosives) manufacturing machinery on an Army Arsenal in Virginia. Unfortunately, I'll be here for most of another two weeks. So... no PGI.

And I can't even get Internet access on-base (blocked). I even have to go to a specific 'phone zone' to make cell calls. Eh... it's a living!

Lloyd

Should be pretty easy to put one of these cutters together.

A walk through the hardware store or big box store should produce all of the components.

Roofers use a thin flat silver dollar to nail tar paper to roofs these might work as the cutters if you drill a hole in the center.

Several washers stacked together could be used as the spacers.

(1) length of all-thread

(23) spacers

(24) cutters

(2) nuts

(2) lock washers

It might be dangerous to have something so sharp, but they sell rotary cutters and cutting blades. They're typically used in sewing and crafts. I've thought about making almost exactly what Mikeee describes a few times. It'd be nice to be more adjustable without having to disassemble, but that's a preference not design requirement. I think they'd be particularly nice for cutting dragon eggs, or other smaller stars like this.

oh hell , i like that . so much better than a onion dicer, you should put up a link on where to buy it. i anm sure of people would like too know, me included.

memo

The circular blades came from some herb mincers I cannibalised, the spacers are just 1mm thick washers/shims and they are held on the 6mm shaft with a pair of shaft collars.

http://pyrobin.com/files/Star%20Slicer%202.jpg

• Like 3

I have looked at the circular cutting blades at the craft stores and they can get expensive buying 24 cutters for a tool.

Cannabalising a kitchen utensil or something from the dollar store might be an option.

(24) pizza cutters at the dollar store would be about the same cost as (1) circular cutter from the craft store.

Ebay might have something that would also work.

Edited by mikeee