APC Forum

What did you do today in pyro?

dagabu

Didn't really DO anything pyro today but did order the Rebel Ball mill with upgraded base and media from Caleb.

He'll probably get the remainder of my bonus soon.

Edited by OldMarine

Anything that's good clean fun and puts a smile on your face is just an investment in your sanity. Money well spent.
  • Like 2

Anything that's good clean fun and puts a smile on your face is just an investment in your sanity. Money well spent.

I've got some paulownia just waiting to be milled and rockets ready to be pressed and headed!

It's definitely fun making pyro! You guys have kept me hopping building new tools and taking care of projects. I can't wait to take some time and put together some rocket headers I started a while back. Maybe I will get a couple rockets made up for new years.

In the meantime I've just been filling orders as fast as I can and getting ready to set two new small cnc machines in my shop. In order for me to keep up with demand and continue pursuing new projects I feel its the only way to go. So, instead of going to college and doing something smart for a living I pulled the trigger and bought machines. Hopefully it will allow me to continue on with fast and friendly service to all my great customers and give me some more time to pursue new projects and designs.

Ain't pyro fun? It seems like it takes buckets of money to keep up in this hobby and it never ends. Oh well, I'm just gonna tell myself it's just money and continue to put everything I have into this dream of pyro. Sounds like fun doesn't it. :D

Caleb, as much as I hate to say it, if you keep building I'll keep buying.

Retirement is overrated anyway.

Played with some different blue formulae for the quick shot gerbs and finally found one that would form a layer of comp at the tiny thickness needed. Used the Blue Steel Gerb fountain from SL which uses stearic acid. This not only makes for good compaction but also makes removing the spindle a breeze.

post-20116-0-28938900-1482008718_thumb.jpg

And, Patrick, I know you don't like that blue as much as some you've seen, but when it has to burn that fast, it is going to be somewhat 'washed-out'. It's the nature of the chemistry and temperature. "The nature of the beast", as it were.

(still pissed [though not much] at you for scaring us about your personal issue in the morgue!)

LLoyd

If it makes you feel better Lloyd, my knees are shot and my back and ass are scalded. At least I made it out of the morgue alive!

Edited by OldMarine

It doesn't make me feel better, Patrick. We who cared were worried about you. The LONG spell before you let us know what was going on didn't help much. (hmmm?)

LLoyd

Sorry about that, they don't let you take your phone in the morgue for now obvious reasons. I forget how sick people can be sometimes to my own detriment.

Obvious reasons? Why? Are they afraid you'll wake the dead when it rings? If I'm sick enough to be in the morgue then I certainly won't care how much noise you make.

Just kiddin, I know how hopsickles are.

Some people get a kick from posting selfies/pics with dead folks as the prime feature.

Necrophilia anyone?

I've got to be honest Pat the possibility never entered my mind. I guess I just don't think like that.

I've got to be honest Pat the possibility never entered my mind. I guess I just don't think like that.

and that is a good thing....

Tested the blue quick shot gerbs and some mines I'd made up to test different star comps. It was terribly windy do most of the mines flew sideways but were very successful nonetheless.

The gerbs were a much more impressive blue at night with about an 8'column of blue inside a tower of FeTi sparks. I wish I'd made more so I could have fired a wall of them simultaneously.

It's more toward a sky blue but it's perfect for the gold-ish FeTi sparks. Titanium would have overpowered the color completely. I plan on trying this with iron or steel for an even more subtle spark display. Eight of these spaced a few feet apart will make an impressive background wall to draw eyes to a setpiece. Edited by OldMarine

Made my first () 2 inch shell, to be glue on top of a c6-0 rocket motor.... still thinking if i putted enough wheat-kraft pastings....

Made my first () 2 inch shell, to be glue on top of a c6-0 rocket motor.... still thinking if i putted enough wheat-kraft pastings....

My 2-inch shells get 6 complete layers of pasted paper.

There are some overlapping paper, I call them "bonus layers". And aim at getting 6 layers everywhere.

• Like 1

Had a very productive weekend with 16 completed can shells, minus the fire proofing layers. Pumped enough comets to replace the ones I've used on these shells and letting the drying chamber do it's thing. My hands are blistered and raw, I need to invest in some plates. It's gonna be a good first night.

post-20510-0-37523900-1482112514_thumb.jpg

Edited by NeighborJ

Nice spiking. Where are your fuses or passfires? Are they for rockets and can be added later?

I always spike them first then install the fuses then fireproofing. I prefer them to be rocket headers but if I don't get enough made before newyears then I'll put time fuse on the rest for morters. At least this way it keeps the options open.

If for rockets you don't need the paste layer. I spike mine and let her rip! There's no fire to fireproof!

You've already got headings, now you just need rockets. I'm hooked on them and have yet to build a shell for a mortar over 1.75".

Edited by OldMarine