APC Forum

Best Cherrybomb recipe, and waterproof fuses?

hummeldike

The rules are the rules, but said rules need to be applied equally to everyone. That is what I did not see in LaPorte and judging from the complaints on the B line this year, it was a problem again.

I have complaints about the guild that I will not mention in public, but I will give the organization one last chance to show improvements by the time the convention rolls around locally again. In the mean time, I'm "that guy" who has let my dues lapse until I can go back to the convention.

I saw them too but I won't say what it was either. Yes, there are a few special people in every organization that walk around with a crown and that will not change.

I love that about you psyco, "loaf heads"... I am guessing that you favor anarchy over order?

Et all, "We" loaf heads are just enforcing the Guilds guidelines, we don't make them or write them. Yes, it is true that the limitation is their knowledge base and we don't look for the things spoken of here but focus instead on fire lanes, press safety, electrical hazards and egress. The builders know what can and cannot be made onsite, it's all in the rules of convention. Open flash is prohibited, period. There is really no way to make a cherry bomb or M-80 without open flash as the mixing is not going to happen effectively and then it would have to be hung, fused and lit according to the Ground Salute lines directions.

I'm all for order, but it's only as good as it's executed. Just because I don't see the point in all this "safety" in manufacturing, doesn't mean I want anarchy. All this time, effort and money is spent printing all this paper work for manufacturing but no one thought to print out the list of assigned tables? Instead they are stored on a laptop, that's locked, and the one person in the entire complex that knows the password is no where to be found. So when someone gets there and wants to set up, they can't because no one can figure out what number their table is. Classic loaf head.

Fire lanes and egress? Are they going to disappear magically? It would take one person, less that 2 minutes to glance and make sure the lanes are still open. Press safety? Are you worried someone is going to unbolt their unrequired blast shield while no ones looking? About the only real electrical hazard are those tables full of smoldering glue guns, that people plug in at 8am and leave on till they close the place down. No wonder people have issues with them burning up. This is all stuff that surprisingly mostly self maintained by the manufacturers.

So you think you can't shake and bake a little cracker? Why mess with something so small at PGI anyways, go big or go home, a few kilos sounds appropriate. But wait... "then it would have to be hung, fused and lit according to the Ground Salute lines directions."

All I really got from that rant is that you are an angry person wanting to vent. Put on a vest, do a safety shift, talk to the "loaf heads" and make change where needed. It's the classic piss or get off the pot syndrome.

I already pissed in your pot, I had the dumb vest on and did a shift.

I can't help it if you don't understand, I'm really not an angry person, but I like venting!

I see that same things here as I do on pyro universe. The same jumping down some kid's throat over asking a question regarding salutes and the same legal misinformation. If he had asked how to make a smoke ball it would have been a different story and he likely would have gotten an answer, but because of his wording he got 3 pages of mostly worthless garbage. Making round pyrotechnic casings in the way Globe, Kent, Unexcelled, Rozzi, and the other US manufacturers did is time consuming and nearly impossible without the proper equipment. That being said most people asking about this information are more curious than anything and will likely never be able to take on the endevour. That being said he has watched the chemist video and probably already knows what..... is so asking about the composition wasn't even the question.

Ok kid here ya go:

You'll need 3/4" paper cup sets, waterglass solution, very fine sawdust that's been screened to remove all larger particles, RIT crimson dye, wood glue, a 7/8" jigboard, a drill press, and a star rolling machine. Without the star roller you will not be able to duplicate the casing period. All the other methods including using dangerous plastic casings, dipping in plasti dip, or hand coating them in a container of sawdust dough will NOT create a vintage casing and your pyrotechnic device will look like something a toddler made while playing with his dinner. After the smoke mix is added and the casing glued using hide or wood glue (elmers will dissolve on the casings will open up during tumbling) they are placed in the jig boards to dry. After they are dry they will be placed in the star roller and sprayed with waterglass. The dyed sawdust is then added as they tumble, and more water glass in sprayed in along with more saw dust. Imagine you are making a snowball. Once they reach the desired size you will let them dry outdoors. Using a drill press you set your bit for about 1/2" depth. Use of a separate jig board (so your fingers are not holding the item) and lexon blast shield is highly recommended in case one of your devices decides to ignite during the drilling process. This did happen from time to time, and workers did lose fingers. Finally the fuse is inserted and set into place with some adhesive and left to dry.

As far as PGI goes, people have to understand that there is nothing in life that is black and white. Rules are not rules in most cases. Just like the bosses nephew can walk into work 30 minutes late every day and you get written up for being 5 minutes late, or how the pretty girl with nice "assets" can get out of a speeding ticket and you can't. It's life. That being said small salutes are by no means banned at PGI. If you bring a silver salute to the GB line you are probably going to get laughed off the line, but they will let you shoot it as long as it is properly constructed with no hard plugs. The more sensible thing to do is to ask the class C safety officers during the day (night time is too crowded) if you can shoot some small salutes off in the corner. Depending on who you are and how they feel you will behave, they will let you shoot them.

For those who don't know these items are available for FEL holders. They are not banned. Although buying several cases of them with no storage might raise some red flags when it comes inspection time.

Edited by countryboy7978
  • Like 1

The OPs question did not specify that he wanted to know what the casing was made from. He asked for "the best cherry bomb recipe", and plainly said that he wants to start making them. Had he asked what the casing was made from I would've suggested that he reads this thread, which he would have found with a quick search.

I appreciate that you did not go into details about the composition inside them. It would, in my opinion, be a bad idea to give someone with little to no experience instructions to build a device which is illegal and dangerous. As I said earlier in this thread, we don't know what country he resides in, or the laws regarding such devices there. We do however know the laws in the US, which is the country where this site is hosted. Unfortunately, all the information he needs has been detailed in this thread.

Hummledike, I strongly recommend that you do not attempt the construction of cherrybombs. I understand that you are going to ultimately going to do whatever you want. The best I can do is to illustrate how dangerous it could be to pursue such an endeavor. The risks involved with drilling into an explosive filled device is only one of the dangers involved. The composition that fills them is highly energetic, and is sensitive to shock, heat, friction, and static. One cherry bomb is more than capable of causing extensive damage to your soft flesh. I can speak from experience here that explosions in your hands can really ruin your day. When it's all said and done, you'll have to decide for yourself what you're going to do, but I ask you to make an educated decision. Cherrybombs are dangerous and illegal.

so few have gotten that it ain't the law. it ain't the danger. it ain't the liability. it ain't any mamby pamby bullsh*t. this site is hosted and paid for by certain people who have the discretion to decide by what rules and regs we abide, and those people say shut the eff up about flash salutes. those who ignore this very simple concept are very disrespectful to those who give us this forum to learn from and to socialize with like minded firebugs. ever heard the expression "you shouldn't sh*t where you eat"? i could care less about who likes what type of pyro items. salutes ARE part of the game. however, the mods that built our playground would appreciate if that tomfoolery could be left in other venues. show some respect, ya dang heathens.

• Like 3

thanks jake. it just ticks me off that people gloss over the real issue and say "well he only wants this or that bla bla bla". if i come into your house and "only want to sleep with your wife" is that ok, or is that stepping over the line? respect this place like you'd want your home respected and you will only be met with help, kindness and the most fierce gathering of support and backup by those who share the heart of fire.

so few have gotten that it ain't the law. it ain't the danger. it ain't the liability. it ain't any mamby pamby bullsh*t. this site is hosted and paid for by certain people who have the discretion to decide by what rules and regs we abide, and those people say shut the eff up about flash salutes. those who ignore this very simple concept are very disrespectful to those who give us this forum to learn from and to socialize with like minded firebugs. ever heard the expression "you shouldn't sh*t where you eat"? i could care less about who likes what type of pyro items. salutes ARE part of the game. however, the mods that built our playground would appreciate if that tomfoolery could be left in other venues. show some respect, ya dang heathens.

I agree! Nicely said. :)

exactly, spark. that is the single most important reason. and it HAS been said. repeatedly. and some just breeze past that and push their points, valid or not, stepping on their hosts. perhaps i shouldn't take it so personally but i really do value this resource. and since i recognize its value, i feel the least i can do is to respect the wishes of those who made this place such a great source of information for us to exploit and enrich. if you want to *ahem* learn about and explore the science and theory of explosions and explosive compositions and compounds, prove yourself and gain access to HE.

Flash is such a huge part of this ART. If you dont want to help the guy, just dont post? APC is full of clowns lately.

• Like 2

Salutes aren't only discussed in the HE section, and it is ridiculous to suggest that people discouraging giving instructions to make flash to someone who has to ask questions like where to buy fuse, if table sugar will work for KNSU fuel, or why their rocket engine made in an empty toilet paper tube didn't work makes them a clown. I mean no offense to hummeldike, he is trying to learn, and that is why he asks these questions, but it would be downright irresponsible to encourage him to make more dangerous compositions.

Safety and liability aside, Rogeryermaw made a great point. If the admin of this site do not wish us to discuss such things then it is disrespectful to do so.

"If you don't want to help the guy, don't post?" I do want to help the guy. I want to help him be safe and stay out of jail. Wildcherry, you're mighty judgmental. I didn't appreciate your condescending remarks about my accident, and I certainly don't appreciate you disrespecting the members of this community by calling them clowns. Maybe you should step down from your high horse, and tell us what makes you such a pyrotechnic guru? I'm sorry, I generally try to avoid pointless online conflict, but out of all of your posts that I've read, you always seem to have some smart ass comment and never actually contribute anything useful. As far as I'm concerned your nothing but a troll.

Edit: fixed typo

Edited by BurritoBandito
  • Like 1

ok i get it. some people just never were taught respect. can't blame them any more than you can blame a lion for eating a gazelle. i'm done here.

Why do the "clowns" think that it's their manifest destiny to discourage flash powder? Making it safely is quite easy to do, and boomers get old quick. By telling them to F O you are basically just making them want it that much more.

As for your "accident" (negligence) - I said what I meant and meant what I said.

Manifest destiny huh? That makes sense. I've said what I have to say, and am done with you.
  • Like 1

don't sweat it burrito. the trolls will run their mouths until they blow them off.

16 posts under that beautiful purple wig. There is no way thats a troll. A troll has 100's of posts. Well, a successful troll has, anyway.

I'm going with that it is simply confused.

Nobody told anyone to fuck off. Quite the opposite. But it should come as no shock that people are suggesting other ventures then to make hard shrapnel producing firecrackers that when all things are considered are amongst the dumbest things anyone can make. Hell, even the factory produced ones cost hands & fingers on a regular basis, improvised manufacture isn't going to be any safer, especially not if you have to ask about how to make the stuff in the first place...

B!

• Like 1

The funny thing is that Mumbles has said numerous times that he doesn't mind the responsible discussion of salutes and flash.

That isn't meant to disrespect anyone and self regulation is why the site works as well as it does.

I had other points buts it's all been said.

Responsible discussion, sure. Discussion about how to make illegal devices? Not so much.

KO