APC Forum

Brushes with the law

competebeginner

Id also imagine if you were anywhere within 200 feet of that you would be presumably deaf/dumb for hours! A easily 2 minute delay would have been needed for plentiful time to retreat to a safe distance. In an alleyway is even worse in my opinion because if there were any windows, well, there would be none left now!

But a 300g charge, IMHO, is only suitable to be done out in the thickest forest, at least 5 miles away from human life just to be safe. Redsky, Once again IMHO, should have been done in antarctica or in the middle of the arizona desert.

OK, I know it was stupid.. Blah Blah, It was about a year ago and I've heard all of "That's stupid" and all that shit already and I don't need to hear it again. Keep this topic moving.

BTW: I have a big alley and there are no windows around at all, and my backyard is pretty big too... It's not the average size alley in Chicago. I live in Jefferson Park almost, not too close to the city.

-Freak- > RedSky has done kilo's of HE's as you obviously know.. 30-06 has done a large amount of AP as well and so has Warweed, so if you don't know about their dets b/c Totse is filled with kewls now (Not true anymore, BB is just occupied by experienced people) you'd maybe know the latest info..

+ Keep this post moving as I said before... I didn't originally post the detailed info for a reason, someone nicely asked for it, so I did. As you saw, a few people thew in their comments on how it was stupid and unsafe. I agreed and we moved on, I don't need the whole forum coming and and posting their comments on it and what they think or how I could have done it elsewise.

End Of Story: Stupid Det.. Unsafe.. Hasn't / Won't happen again.

_ Lying about dets is probably the stupidest / most pathetic thing I've ever seen/heard, and it's really sad how some people do it because they think lying about a huge det will make them cool and appreciated. It's the opposite.

Edited by kwstag

Yep. Because of stupid dets :rolleyes: . I'm on a little break from pyro anyway until I get my grades up.. Now it's just cleaning my lab and research.

kwstag you idiot

you should never do that

hahaha

just thought i join in the flaming :D

i got pulled over once for lighting smokes (kno3/su) on a busy street, a bunch of cars were just stopped and wouldnt go through, so they called the fire dept and the guys handled it in 30 seconds :rolleyes:

but anyways someone described teh car i was in and some cop pulled me over like 20 minutes later. hes all weve had reports of a van with kids in it lighting these things off. i ripped on his ass so hard that he felt shamed and left. haha what an idiot

cop- weve had descriptions of a van with kids in it lighing off bombs

me- um were in a residential neighborhood, so i think there are lots of kids living here. vans arent really that uncommon around here so maybe you should make this quick, and go look for another van?

cop- do you have any smoke bombs in the car?

me- no i think i have a gatorade

cop- step out of the car please

me- why?

cop- i want to ask you some questions

me- youre asking me questions now. i know my rights and i dont think im getting out of the car thanks

cop- im gonna let you off with a warning

me- for what?

cop- just get home its getting late

me- yeah its close to 930. goodnight officer

really though thats almost exact words, he was about to pop a vein though so i peaced out

:D

~Arete

LoL Arete.. If you did that in Chicago, you would have probably got arrested for some stupid shit like assaulting an officer :rolleyes: Hehe..

God, do that in Minneapolis and you'll get the shit beat out of you, then get charged with "impersonating a pinata"....

M

Luckily I havent had any brushes with the law, they really dont seem to care, and neither do my neighbors ^_^ I think they attribute all the noise to my potato cannon or my dads triumph/mz.

Also, I think the cops have more important things to do than investigate loud bangs when there is a large amount of council housing not far away.

Guest pyrokid00000
Well let me tell you guys this, being a pyro and living in PA does not work to well. Most fireworks are illegal here. Best thing you can get is crackling balls. One time i decided to light one of my homemade 4" shells. Cops were here in 15 minutes. I got a half hour lecture on how dangerous 1.3g fireworks are and how they shouldent be in anyones hands. He dident find out it was homemade ^_^ . I got very lucky with just a warning.

Skating-

I was "down town" with about 7 friends, and we were all skating around and filming the 3 or 4 out of us that were actually good. So after about 10 minutes of my friends trying to manuel across this huge almost flat rock thing, a rent-a-cop comes out of the building telling us to leave. We of course talk to him with the whole "be sympathetic to us because we are minors, and you know you did it when you were young" discussion, then we leave. As we are walking the length of the block, a cop car drives up and he says to go somewhere else, while we are going, so we keep going on the same block as we originally intended. Then another cop before we cross the street to the next block does a U-turn to come and tells us the exact same thing as the second...

Salute-

As a going away present for a friend i made an AP salute that was probably around 10gs. So we (un-intentionally the whole party is interested (~15 people)) walk a short distance to some area that we could haul ass away from in no time. We light... BOOM!... then walk instead of run away... then a cop came by the house later... i am so freaking nervous about now and im all telling everybody that it was a car backfiring ;) while it is pulling up. Then the cop gets out and goes to talk to the parents because there was a complait that we were blocking the cars when we were skating in the street... Sooooo relieved... This particular gathering also involved the best damn hamburger i have ever had...

Culdesac/overflow Camping-

2 friends and I decided to camp at this skate spot thing that was like an over flow area for drainage water (all concrete and modified with even more concrete by local skater kids so that 2 decent quarter pipes are skateable and a nice bank out of it), and after we 4 wheeled the car down on to the area and started to play some music which wasn't really loud at all, we decided that something was missing. So we broke out the grahm crackers, marshmellows, and chocolare and made a respectable fire for cooking. So about 3 hours in a cop car pulls up and says that a neighbor complained about light from the fire (which was in a concrete pipe and only visible to us)... so we pack up and leave, luckily he didn't search the car and find a bottle of vodka... How hard would it be for the neighbor to come complain to us considering that we are only a matter of hundreds of feet away?... It was still good, we all got our fill of smores and told a few good tales...

Thats about all i can remember...

Many years ago it was legal to buy fireworks in the UK if you were under the age of 16. However I wasnt working and didn't get much pocket money but one year I managed to do a little work for my aunt and was able to buy fireworks.

I used it to buy individual Standard AIR BOMB REPEATERS. They were 12 inch candles that had around 4 salutes inside them. They were awesome. We used to let them off in the park late at night until the law would turn up.

I remember one time running across the park to the other side thinking we were safe. Then the car pulls up and two cops jump out. They went through the pockets of my friend and found 2 AIRBOMBS left. He gave us the usual lecture about how dangerous they were and proceeded to stand on them with his size 12's and crush them flat. He then took the remaining paper tubes, put them in the bag and put them in the car. I was devestated. Not too bothered about the money more worried about the loss of some great fireworks...

I should be pleased when I think about it now though. They never took our names and in a way we managed to get away with just some harsh words.

There was another time only a few years back I had the law come over. I went to France on a day trip. Whenever I go there I always buy a few hundred French bangers. They are like little red sticks of dynamite. Each one packs a pretty loud bang. Anyway I used most of them at a party. One day I was going through my wardrobe and found a stray pack of them. So I took them to my garden and let a few off.

I didnt think anything of it until about 3 days later when I get a knock at the door. It was a police officer. He said he was the local firearms officer and had a complaint that someone was shooting a gun off. He came over to mine because he had been told someone was in the garden chucking piles of white dust about and thought I was making bombs or something. I invited him in to show him my log burning fireplace and the fact I was in the middle of decorating.

He then realized that someone was being paranoid and apologised.

It really made me sick to know my neigbours had called the police for letting off a few bangers in my garden during the day. Ok so they were pensioners but its not right... Glad to say I moved from that house and now live in an area where my neighbours are a little more tolerant...

My neighbours come out and watch fireworks when they see me lighting things! ^_^ makes me glad to have such cool neighbours.

The only thing me and my freinds were ever almost in trouble with was sneaking into a disused mill and wandering round. We had already gone out and we were walking back to my house when saw a police car come past. It then stopped outside the mill and stayed there for about 5 minutes, then it just drove off.

Not as exciting as half of your stories!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I just had a close call, I was testing out my new flash powder, KMnO4/Al/S, 12/7/10, and it was making a nice little "pof!" in the open, so then I thought I would try it confined.

Made a tube that was 2 layers of computer paper thick, filled it with fp (1g), and fused it. Was expecting a small bang, but it was the biggest bang I have ever heard. I had all the neighbors coming out going "WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT!?!?!!?", and I beleive some of them called the cops. I can just hope they didnt.

heh, i've never had cops come after me for fireworks (usually only for driving). well last year my friends and I drove over the border to wyoming where we could get the good stuff, basically shells and bottle rockets since anything that flys is illegal in idaho. Well we were back at my house later that night shootin roman candles and shells off and a cop pulls up. Scared the crap out of me till i realized it was my friends cousin coming to pick him up, haha. He was on duty too and we all looked at him and he just said "Don't worry guys I don't even care as long as your stupid with them." He chilled with us for about a half hour lighting stuff off! I think cops should be more like that. They should only get pissed if your causing trouble with fireworks.

Yes. I have a cop on my block like that as well.. Ive known him forever and during the 4th I'm "allowed" to do as I please. This 4th may be a little different as I "introduce" little HE dets to my crazy firework-loving neighborhood.

Two of my classmates got arrested when they set off some TATP in the parking garage underneath a police station, but they got away by saying it was a firecracker.

• 4 months later...
Well me and my mate were tailed by a few people once. we let off some differing types of flash powders etc at the bottom of this wooded valley. we ran up the side on the way back home. we decded to rest underneath some big overhangin rocks for a bit, as i took out a can of coke, we see these 2 people running up the side on the path that we just went. they didnt find us but for about 20 minutes i was really paranoid thinking that they stopped there and were waiting for us amongst the rocks. - i coulda sworn that i saw 2 heads there with a pair of binocluars on one!! :blink:

The cops in my area are pretty cool. I remember about a year back on the fourth, my friends and I were doing some shells and salutes we had made. We had just lit a 6 inch shell, and we saw a cop coming down the street. We were all like "Oh, what do we do?!?!?" The shell went off right as the cop drove by the house, he stopped, waited, and then pulled away. It was quite frightening at the time.

It depends on the cop, and it depends on how you treat them. I had a younger cop threaten to bust me once when I was lighting a sparkler, but 6 months before that I had two cops just tell me to cool it when I had the parking lot at work so covered in smoke that it looked like a Cival War battlefield.

If you're shooting stuff that's not legal in your area keep the bulk of your stuff out of sight, but throw them a bone. if the cops show up due to a compllaint by a citizen, they'll need to show the officer on duty that they did their job and confiscated the offending fireworks. Nobody will get pissy with you if you have two rockets and a mortar; they'll usually just bitch you out, take it back to the station, log it in, and take it to their own Forth of july party. Nobody needs to know about the other 65 mortars, half a pound of flash powder, and the grenade simulator that your brother took home from Iraq. Win/win.

• 1 month later...
Well let me tell you guys this, being a pyro and living in PA does not work to well. Most fireworks are illegal here. Best thing you can get is crackling balls. One time i decided to light one of my homemade 4" shells. Cops were here in 15 minutes. I got a half hour lecture on how dangerous 1.3g fireworks are and how they shouldent be in anyones hands. He dident find out it was homemade  . I got very lucky with just a warning.

Darn. I'm 14 and is set off homemade shells.wheels,fountains,rockets,etc all time and nothing has ever happened. People in my neighborhood are setting stuff off all the time(bottle rockets and firecrackers) and ive never seen the police go by. I'm glad I live in a small town.(darn meth capital of the U.S. :angry: ) I hope none of my chems are illegal.( blackpowder ,aluminum in various meshes and kinds,pot nitrate,pot.perch,pot.chlorate,MgAl,Mg,iron oxide,pot.permanganate,etc...) I'd hate to have my chems confiscated!

I'm not sure about state laws in PA but in Texas it's legal to purchase and have chemicals, it's just illegal if you mix them into anything useable and just keep that lying around the garage. If you make it, you have to shoot it or store it in an explosives magazine.

And speaking of brushes with the law, I wanted to get my BATFE Type 20 license and the only thing I would lack is an explosives magazine. I live in the city so I don't have eanywhere to put one. But reading up on the requirements, it says you don't actually need a magazine yourself, just permission to use one. Well I can't find anyone that has one so I asked my brother-in-law whose in the DEA if I called the ATF would they tell me who in the area had a magazine that I could contact. He basically told me that he doubted they would tell me and that it's almost guaranteed now-a-days that if I requested that kind of info, I'd be put on a watch list immediately. Since he works closely with the ATF all the time I figure he'd know.

reading up on the requirements, it says you don't actually need a magazine yourself, just permission to use one. Well I can't find anyone that has one so I asked my brother-in-law whose in the DEA if I called the ATF would they tell me who in the area had a magazine that I could contact. He basically told me that he doubted they would tell me and that it's almost guaranteed now-a-days that if I requested that kind of info, I'd be put on a watch list immediately.

Hahah.. yeah, well think of it. Why would a private citizen need a list of all the local Type II magazines in the area. Would be like an amateur painter asking for a list of all the local Renoir or Matisse owners.

Even if you do find contingency storage and get your license you will be on a 'watch list' of sorts. That is, your ATFE compliance officer will be dropping in to visit periodically.

Good luck ! I am almost ready to ask my local pro pyro mentor about storing on his property also ><

• 1 year later...

Well, i thought i'd kick up this topic again to tell about my recent ''brush with the law'' or rather, a US postal inspector.

a while back i shipped off some potassium nitrate to a buyer, it went fine and i didn't think anything of it, but i didn't know that apparently a postoffice freeked out and filled some sort of report on me for some reason. so just a few days ago i tried to send another packege of KNO3 and the first thing the postwomen does when i give it to her is go back and (i think) talk to the postmaster, about 30min later after they look trough the books and can't seem to find anything abount it, she finally comes back and tells me they won't ship it, i find this odd since they've shipped it before, so i ask to talk with the postmaster, he comes out and says ''we aren't going to accept it in to the mail stream today'' i ask why not? he says ''because it's potentially explosive'' then he hurredly tells me that he'll know more tomorow and that a postal inspector will be in touch with me. so the next day i go back to try again, the guy looks at my package, goes back and asks the postmaster what to do and comes back and says we still won't ship it, and asks if the inspector has tallked to me yet, i tell him no and he says i'll have to wait, as i'm geting in my car to go home the guy shows up and starts tallking to me, i tell him all about it and he says ok, well it is legal to ship, but the postmaster does have the right to refuse it if he wants, i'll go talk to the the postoffice and explain this to them, the same day he calls me and says that they'll take it and sorry they gave me a hassle, but it is a post 911 world so you have to watch out. anyway the guy was very nice, knew what he was tallking about, and has singlehandely restored my faith in competent law enforcement. yay. ^_^

You did have it labeled as ORM-D and all that fun stuff right? Just refer them to "pub 52" That will contain about all the stuff they need to know, including clearly stating it is legal to ship, and the packaging requirements and all that.