APC Forum

Occasional depression thread

Pretty green flame

I had to put my cat, Annabelle, down today. We rescued her about 10 years ago as a real young kitten. She was hanging around my apartment and on a sub zero morning she ran inside and never left.

On Thanksgiving, she started breathing labored and we took her to the vet on Friday. They found fluid surrounding her lungs and heart suggesting a form of lymphoma. The vet couldn't say exactly what caused this but said it could have been caused by exposure to the feline leukemia virus from a cat my wife had when we were dating. The vet drained some of the fluid but it didn't help.

Today she was purring and wheezing at the same time. When she got excited, she could only breathe by panting with an open mouth. She also stared at her bowl of food but would not eat. The vet did not have good news about any recovery and I could not bear to see her suffer. The 10 years I had her she had no stressors and nothing bad ever happened to her. I sure will miss this cat running to greet me at the door and sleeping at my feet more like a dog would.

2010-09-07_14-43-06_925.jpg

Edited by nater

I know what you mean. About 2 years ago we had to put our two cats down. They were sister black cats one was blind and the other could hardly move and they were using our living room as the cat box. We put up with it as long as we could. Took me almost two years to gut and remodel the living room...floor, subfloor, walls and ceiling. You did the right thing

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
The second big name in the Bengazi hearing is also getting her testimony postponed. If Hillary's illness is legitimate I apologize profusely, but she sure looked plenty healthy in her interview a couple days ago. There has been way too much smoke and mirrors as of late. To top it off the idiot who made the YouTube video that was blamed initially for the attacks (before it was revealed to obviously not be the cause), is rotting in prison for a year for exercising his freedom of speech. As foolish as that speech might have been, throwing a guy in jail for it is about as un-American as you can get, or at least it used to be. Then there's the herd of Democratic senators wanting a do over on Obamacare because they are now realizing it was maybe worth skimming through before voting it into law three years ago. The tragedy of children being murdered in school, both here in the states and also in China, and the resulting outcry of people pointing fingers at each other for either having too many guns or not enough. What a mess.

• 2 weeks later...

It's Christmas Eve, which here means that we are going to celebrate Christmas. Both my brother and I are bachelors, so mum thinks that we should celebrate Christmas with her, dad and grandmother, which we always do. Grandmother is the most boring person I know. She is 90 now, but I remember when she was 60. She was a bore back then too. According to mum she was a bore at 30 too.

And we are having lutfisk. I refuse to eat the fish, but I'll have to eat that tasteless white sauce and potatoes. I'd rather have a pizza or some Thai food. I'll get whisky from my brother, but I can't open it until I open the other Christmas gifts, so I'll have to stand half of Christmas Eve sober :mellow:

• Like 1

It's Christmas Eve, which here means that we are going to celebrate Christmas. Both my brother and I are bachelors, so mum thinks that we should celebrate Christmas with her, dad and grandmother, which we always do. Grandmother is the most boring person I know. She is 90 now, but I remember when she was 60. She was a bore back then too. According to mum she was a bore at 30 too.

And we are having lutfisk. I refuse to eat the fish, but I'll have to eat that tasteless white sauce and potatoes. I'd rather have a pizza or some Thai food. I'll get whisky from my brother, but I can't open it until I open the other Christmas gifts, so I'll have to stand half of Christmas Eve sober :mellow:

I called my uncle in Sweden some years back and after we exchanged pleasantries, I teasingly asked him if he would be eating Lutefisk this Christmas, he replied, "Goodness no, we have refrigeration now!." I am still working, lots to de here and I will get home just in time for Church tonight.

-dag

The only reason that this so called fish is eaten must be be that some people think that some stuff should be eaten just because it's a tradition to do so.

I have tasted a very tiny bit once. It tastes like I guess jell-o would taste, if you mix in some lye and potassium nitrate and then bake it in the oven for a couple of hours :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

I figure some of you guys will get a kick out of this.

If you frequent the chatroom here you've probably heard of my issues with getting parking tickets. I have terrible luck with getting them. Today I took it to a new level. I got one for parking in a completely legal spot. The meters outside of my place run from 8am to 9pm Monday through Saturday, and 3pm to 9pm on Sunday (aka today). I went out last night and parked in a metered spot knowing that I could sleep in and not have to worry about moving it. Lo and behold, I went to move my car earlier this afternoon and I of course had a ticket. At least this time I wont be paying it for a good reason.

Damned winter :angry: Directly after Easter I will probably drive to southern Europe just to get some sun and decent weather :)

after being promissed snow and minus 15, evry morning daddy snow, no sorry baby, how much longer must we stare at this sledge? Shed be happy with a muddy hill but not the same thing.

Moral of the story dont tell em if you cant give em, her little'face.

My depression is different to yours kc, i want snow to shoot rockets aswell as sledging, its a novelty here ( for the first week)

dan.

chuck a snowball for us.

Dan.

Our snow melted, but at least there is more on the way.

You guys up in da nordern part of Hoosierville get all the snow. Here, the sun comes out and dries up the sinuses. sniff

• 2 weeks later...
A family friend just passed away, my mother's roommate in college. We were really close when I was a kid, but as her health deteriorated we saw less and less of her. She had type II diabetes and didn't take care of it, we haven't heard the cause of death but suspect it was diabetic shock. We begged her to take better care of herself... what else can you do? In "real life" I'll make sure to honor her memory instead of criticizing her lifestyle, but it's depressing that it had to be like this. Edited by flying fish

• 2 weeks later...
Chinese new year is coming up, and its going to be a very lonely one because my dad isn't coming back to Taiwan because of health problems, and relatives just told me to go f- myself. Friends are all busy so I am left alone...

my grandfather is dead yesterday.... :(

Very sorry. My grandfather died a few weeks ago at 93. He was ready to go. It turned into quite the party with family coming into town and a real celebration of his life.

Our family had a "living" wake for my grandmother. Families never seem to get together unless someone passes so we tried this with success.

Grandma was 98 when we had the wake. She passed 3 months before her 100th birthday.