APC Forum

3D printable Visco fuse machine

oldmanbeefjerky

Wind driven has the issue of gust speed vs steady speed as shown here;

IMO modern wind power has a blade and generator up in the air and sends electricity down, it also blights lots of countryside with the image of metal poking into the sky from nice rolling hills.

3D Max is a production graphics suite, 3d special effects for movies, physics simulations, thermal energy transfer simulations (fire), animation, Inverse Kinemtics, muscle simulatution, motion tracking, camera tracking...

Trust me it can build a model that you can 3D Print and export it to stl

Edited by Simoski

Here an update Gentlemen

that something is the capstan, which I must still design and print over the next few days

Edited by Simoski

3D Max is a production graphics suite, 3d special effects for movies, physics simulations, thermal energy transfer simulations (fire), animation, Inverse Kinemtic, muscle simulatution, motion tracking, camera tracking...

Trust me it can build a model that you can 3D Print and export it to stl

Can be all you want. But is not a CAD program. And to design a machine you need a CAD program. Or a ruler and a compass. Trust me, I worked with real CAD programs and with 3DS. There is a very big difference, I will not try do make movie special effects in catia, nor design a simple part in 3DS. You will never have good meshes for slicing, since you are working with triangles from the start. Triangulation should be the last step.

Edited by Baldor

Ok, it is a prototype, but.... Plastic on plastic bearings????? Noticed the noise when moving it by hand? When motorised and under real load this will be a lot worse. And the bad surface finish only will make the problem worse. At least try to make the contact surfaces from different plastics. Make some PA6 or PTFE bushings.

3DS max is not a CAD program!!!!! No wonder you have bad tringulation, you are working with triangles from the start!

No Baldor you're confused! I work from standard parametric primitives, spheres, cubes, cylinders etc. When the parametric object is exprted to STL, then it becomes trianglular faces. I don't spend hours moving vertices. I don't have time for that. The drip drip drip of that would be way too irritating

Edited by Simoski

Construction of its physical form begins with a lot of superglue and iron powder

gallery_21479_442_124788.jpg

Next the drive shaft base...

Edited by Simoski

OK... you got me, Simoski!

I'm a modeler and a machine 'prototyper', so I'm familiar with reinforcing powders for CA glues. But even after trying to look it up, I can find no reference to using iron powder.

Please educate someone who thought he understood how to use CAs!

Lloyd

No Baldor you're confused! I work from standard parametric primitives, spheres, cubes, cylinders etc. When the parametric object is exprted to STL, then it becomes trianglular faces. I don't spend hours moving vertices. I don't have time for that. The drip drip drip of that would be way too irritating

I must confess I did not use 3DS since a lot of years. Do it have a tree of operations you can alter at any point? If no, is not a CAD program. Do it store the geometry as mathematical functions, or as triangles? If it is the second, is not a CAD program. What is the result of a subtraction? If it is a mesh of triangles, is not a CAD program. Could you export the final geometry to IGES or STEP and disassemble it in primitive surfaces? If not, is not a CAD program. The end results show a very bad problem at tringularisation. I doubt it is the slicer, the problem lies before.

A real CAD program don't use triangles at all. It can export triangles for your favourite CAM program, at your desired tolerance, but the model is mathematical functions only.

Arty close up

gallery_21479_442_34416.jpg

Edited by Simoski

current physical manifestation

gallery_21479_442_202647.png

Would that be used as a 'kicker' Lloyd? Similar to sprinkling baby powder on thick CA.

Well, that's what I'm wondering, Chuck. I have use several different 'kickers', including baking powder and talcum. But I've never heard of using iron filings.

And, since I build flying models, I'd enjoy knowing.

Lloyd

construction one third complete 8 )

gallery_21479_442_325529.png

The cyanoacrylate ( superglue ), see bottom left, to stick the pieces to the board and each other.

The file comes in handy post processing the bottoms, cos I always print with a raft for better bed adhesion, but this leaves a rough bottom which needs smoothing.

The file also used to rough up the edges that will be glued together, else they are shiny smooth and don't stick.

The spirit level to get the drive-shaft true vertical.

Lloyd the iron powder can be used to "build up" for additional binding.... let me take a close up for you then it will make perfect sense...

here you go old boy

gallery_21479_442_565908.png

Edited by Simoski

Ok... for fillets. Does it retard the cure any, so you have time to work, or do you just pile it up and soak it with CA?

I use two 'reinforcing powders' with CAs... baking soda and talc. Both also accelerate cure, so there's zero 'open time'.

Lloyd

Ok... for fillets. Does it retard the cure any, so you have time to work, or do you just pile it up and soak it with CA?

I use two 'reinforcing powders' with CAs... baking soda and talc. Both also accelerate cure, so there's zero 'open time'.

Lloyd

I just do the first basic bond, so that its tightly in the correct place then I add additional CA and throw on the powder.

Not sure about the speed, Lloyd, all I can tell you is that it gives a stronger bond.

I don't think it is an accelerant like NaHCO3. More like a builder, filler.

Edited by Simoski

Here's how the construction is going...

gallery_21479_442_61437.jpg

gallery_21479_442_88092.jpg

Edited by Simoski

That's looking pretty nice, Sim!

I think - with only the 'drive transmission' issues we've already discussed - that's going to be a 'winner'!

LLoyd

That's looking pretty nice, Sim!

I think - with only the 'drive transmission' issues we've already discussed - that's going to be a 'winner'!

LLoyd

Cool, by 'drive transmission' issue do you mean the pulley box Lloyd?

Edited by Simoski

Not available to me, although FB shows the post is there. I'm just not in the 'selected audience'.

Lloyd

Hmmm, it posted to my friends. Either way I get the feeling this forums software only caters for YouTube in terms of social media links...