APC Forum

3D printable Visco fuse machine

oldmanbeefjerky

Here is how the printing is going... I think about half the components are printed...

gallery_21479_442_13020.jpg

Edited by Simoski

Nice!

..are you printing in PLA or something else? I see you have a CR-10 (or CR-10S?) so ABS isn't really an option. I have the same printer but was thinking of using PETG to make it less prone to melting if subjected to direct sunshine.

PS: where do the wine bottles go in your design? :)

@Sleipner The wine bottles are the most important part, without those I can't drown my sorrows when I do a 40 hour print that will not fit : )

As for the plastic, yes its PLA. The printer is an ANET E12. I run it off my solar rig cos the electricity is iffy here in south africa, On and off all the time.

I've designed it ( with the advise of others ) so that it can be flat packed and modular so that if one part breaks you can easily print and replace it without having to print large sections.

So its in lots of pieces.

The die / funnel ( dunnel ) in particular can easily be modified, to make smaller and or bigger diameter fuse.

Edited by Simoski
  • Like 1

Howsit : )

I've begun assembly of the super structure, gluing it together with super glue. I still need to model and print the pulley circles and motor housing, the capstan. Then I think I'm done.

I will send pics of the physical version soon

Simoski

Edited by Simoski

Goodness! You should probably keep such concepts more private. I don't know what the laws are in South Africa governing the use by private individuals of anti-personnel bombs, but here in the USA, building such and announcing it would surely draw the attention of law-enforcement officers.

Besides, we consider the making of fireworks to be art...

Lloyd

3D print shells? Yeah... don't. They wont be solid enough on their own, so just make paper shells. Loading them with glass for shrapnel? Don't you know why every self-respecting terrorist uses ball-bearings, nuts and balls?

And i'm pretty sure home-made fragmentation bombs are illegal everywhere, so there is that. As usual, Lloyd has a point. Some concepts are better kept to one self.

While I love the build and understand the concerns facing your friend, I would appreciate it if you keep the details of weaponized devices off the forum. It's not something we support or condone.

as you wish Grandmaster

how do I use just pulleys to rotate the motion of a motor 90 degrees off its axis?

anyone got an example, I'm sure its simple??

Depending upon the relationships of the motor and spindle, it can be done with only two, or with four.

You'd have to provide a pictorial of your setup for me to determine it, but there are all sorts of depictions of various right-angle belt drives, like this:

and this

That second arrangement is capable of a wide range of angles between the to shafts.

If a round belt is not used, then a V-belt will be required to make a 1/4-twist between motor and idlers, and a 1/4-'untwist' between idlers and the driven shaft -- which a properly-sized V-belt is perfectly-capable of doing.

Lloyd

If you don't have to tune the gear ratio (1:1, for example), this is the case for conical gears or a worm gear. When I advised not to use gears, I was referring to the transmission from the axle to the plates, where you have to fine tune it. Every solution have its own pros an cons depending the use case.

Thank you Lloyd! Brother in the art of pyro, high 5!

I don't know what a properly-sized V-belt but I'm gonna go for the second version you embedded, its simpler.

Edited by Simoski

"Properly-sized" in the case of 'twisting' has to do both with the 'gauge' of the belt (the narrower, the easier), and the length of belting between the pulleys where the twist must occur. The longer the strand along the twist, the easier it is on the belt.

Of course, the alternative is to use a urethane round belt, and twisting is then not an issue, at all.

LLoyd

Hello

So I've begun work again, modeled the motor housing.

What I realise is that without my exact motor this part and many pulley parts will be useless to others, how are we gonna get around that?

Model a hand crank? And then if you can't model your own motor housing and pulleys then you can just print the hand crank?

Anyhow give it a though and look at the housing I modeled.

gallery_21479_442_68724.gif

Edited by Simoski

Yeah, I agree with Baldor. A given NEMA-size is a given size. Overall size, mounting dimensions, everything is defined. It won't change (at least, any time soon -- there are too many of them in 'size-critical' applications, just like yours).

Lloyd

Edited by lloyd

Hmmm, now what one do you guys suggest?

Are they available worldwide?

Everywhere, Simoski.

NEMA-standard size motors are available all-over. And they're not more-expensive than 'non-standard' motors. All my machines (I'm in the USA, but some of my stuff is built in China) have NEMA-sized motor frames. For the 'equipment buyer' it's an important consideration, because a particular machine vendor might go out of business, but there are MANY (many, many) NEMA motor vendors.

Lloyd

The same applies to any parts not printed. Use standard belts, easy to find. standard bolts and nuts (I don't know if you can find metric bolts in any hardware store in USA, finding imperial ones in Europe is not difficult, but you will not find them in your nearest hardware store). Even if you print your pulleys, try to use standard sizes. Every part you purchase, need to have his standard part number in the parts list. For example, DIN 912 M6x30 8.8

Yes, Baldor,

I can (and usually do) buy imperial sizes for most of my work, but our local Ace Hardware Store stocks a good and wide assortment of metric sizes, as well.

They're not inexpensive, because they're sold "by the piece", but readily available if I need one or several in a hurry.

When I'm not pressed for time, I order them by the box, on-line.

LLoyd

Thanks Lloyd, it makes perfect sense to have interchangeable standard parts to bring costs down. Which one would you suggest for this build, the 2 spindles that have a diameter of 16cm which is 6.4 inches????

Hi Baldor, thank you for your input. I agree with standardization. In the end you'll need just a few standard parts to complete the machine after printing it. Do pulleys come in standard sizes?

I'm not used to belts and pulleys, my expertise is in mould making, but I'm sure there should be some standard for pulleys. For V belts, you have A,B,C,D, SPA, SPB, SPC and SPD profiles. Due to the low load, I will use A or SPA, and think it will be overkill, maybe round belts will be better. Or you can use timing belts and pulleys.

I'm sure that for V belt the dimensions of the pulleys are standarized, at least external. Just google and you will find that all the manufacturers have the same dimensions, but I can't find an ISO norm.

About the motor... What motor do you intended to use? How many RPM? Has enough power? Then, what power? Do you want to regulate speed?