APC Forum

Please post your 1 lb core burner fuel mixes (rammed)

stckmndn

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SjeefOne

• dagabu

• allrocketspsl

• stckmndn

More fun~

Here is a pic of a heavy lift that Dan Thames did last year, a 6# with a 10" ball-shell.

http://www.pyrobin.com/files/heavy-takeoff-2.jpg

-dag

I've seen that pic on a rocket tutoriall from Nski, do you know if that's a BP rocket or whistle?

If I've understood correctly BP don't have the ooomph to do this kind of lifting.

If it does then there's hope for my 4lb rockets (once I find a way to get them off the dang tooling in a normal fashion,and get them to actually fly).

Edited by SjeefOne

now thats funny looking. I am going to have to try some larger ones on my 1# tooling. What does a 10" weigh more or less?

Depending on shell somewhere in the vicinity of 10-12lbs for a simple shell.

I've seen that pic on a rocket tutoriall from Nski, do you know if that's a BP rocket or whistle?

If I've understood correctly BP don't have the ooomph to do this kind of lifting.

If it does then there's hope for my 4lb rockets (once I find a way to get them off the dang tooling in a normal fashion,and get them to actually fly).

I think that was one of Dan's early Whistle Super Fuel rockets.

-dag

I think that was one of Dan's early Whistle Super Fuel rockets.

-dag

Allright. How much you reckon a 4Lb BP lifts? My fuel is 6-3(AF Seqouia C)-1-5 . riced.

BP can vary so much depending on an unlimited amount of variables so that there is no way to tell what your lift will be. Does it have a nozzle? What tooling set are you using? What is your thrust phase time? How many grams of fuel are below the delay?

A 3# whistle rocket can lift *10# easily but it cannot sustain lift in the coast phase. They will round trip after about 5# but still lack the inertia to coast properly under that weight. I have lifted 1 kilo on a 3# headings easily and have launched a few 2 kilo headings with success but the only real way to know is to launch a dummy load and see what it can lift.

*To about 100'

-dag

BP can vary so much depending on an unlimited amount of variables so that there is no way to tell what your lift will be.

Does it have a nozzle? Yup, I use bentonite which has some clay in there (it's those well-plugging-pellets ground to powder)

What tooling set are you using? Wolter 4Lbs BP

What is your thrust phase time? No idea,first one I tested CATO'd, my guess too large increments and too low loading pressure. I'm pressing harder now and increments are about a Cm now. I'm doing a static test tonight to see if it's a big fountain or a salute on a stick.

How many grams of fuel are below the delay? I think about 220grams or so.

A 3# whistle rocket can lift *10# easily but it cannot sustain lift in the coast phase. They will round trip after about 5# but still lack the inertia to coast properly under that weight. I have lifted 1 kilo on a 3# headings easily and have launched a few 2 kilo headings with success but the only real way to know is to launch a dummy load and see what it can lift.

I don't do whistle :whistle:

*To about 100'

Thnx-dag

Personal intuition says you can probably eventually take up a 5" or 6" ball shell at least. That would be be 2-3lbs. Obviously get those things flying before strapping shells on :) You could go a bit heavier, but it'd make sense to start lighter and slowly increase from there. Keep nozzleless BP rockets in mind as well. They have a bit more lifting power.

Thank you mumbles, yesterday I tested one out of two motors I pressed with the smaller increments and higher pressure.

The nozzle blew out (as I expected, as I had to mutilate the bottom of the tube to get it off the spindle). But other then that it didn't blow up.

I've asked Mr Wolter if he sells a motor removal tool and fortunately he does so that will end my tube releasing torture.

5 or 6" would be nice to send up, and about the maximum size I can reasonably shoot here anyways.

I'll make a new batch of fuel tomorrow,fast BP to see how the nozzleless motors go. I'll need to find some lacquer thinner though, is that a specific solvent or will a Toluene/Xylene thinner work as well?

Sorry for sort of hijjacking this thread.

Sjeef

talking about nozzle-less motors you chaps may find this interesting internal ballistics considerations of nozzle-less rocket motors ive posted the link before on my nozzle-less thread on the ukps forums , its a real gem , fig 10 shows aft-end geometries and hints at the ideal tooling set up for these motors :)

talking about nozzle-less motors you chaps may find this interesting internal ballistics considerations of nozzle-less rocket motors ive posted the link before on my nozzle-less thread on the ukps forums , its a real gem , fig 10 shows aft-end geometries and hints at the ideal tooling set up for these motors :)

Thanks, looks like a bit more in the HPR field but a nice doc nonetheless.

I tried looking in the UKPS forum but somehow I need to be registered I guess.

I checked your youtube channel as well and i saw a nozzleless video (in daylight), and those rockets really took offf!

Can you tell me some about the fuel? You being on my side of the great pond, what kind of solvent you use for the mineral oil?

Thnx.

Edited by SjeefOne

i did a lot of work on these a few years back (where does the time go?) the solvent of choice was cellulose thinners , as you can see here on the msds, its made of of anything from 30- 50% toluene and interestingly 10-30% acetone.

which give me an idea to use acetone as a carrier for the mineral oil to speed up drying times .

i also tried out all kinds of weird fuels in an attempt to find the "ultimate nozzle less propellant" sulfur less bp's, and perc based bp's( lots of light output and noise but not much thrust)

also whistle/bp hybrid propellants (cato every time):blink: tooling adjustment needed me thinks, and good old willow bp which performed superbly. the one thing you can do with nozzle-less motors, is you can add a whistle delay which is really cool and funny ^_^,

ukps nozzle-less thread its long winded! the rockets you saw where 3lber's lifting dummy headers about 320 grams

Edited by drthrust

For a 1lb nozzle-less rocket I use a 5/16"x5" long spindle. I think it has a .5 degree taper. For my nozzled rockets (spindle 3/8"x 4 3/4" 1 1/2 degree taper) I use a pretty hot fuel, but I don't remember my formula off hand, I'll have to look it up.

Good luck with the 330 gr 4". And it's going up on a 1 lb rocket?

A large header can look pretty unstable on a rocket motor and I've read about some pretty huge rocket headers. But as of yet (except for cplmac) not seen prefire pics. If anyone has a pic of a ridiculously big header on a rocket I'd love to see it. And along those same lines is anyone working on making them more aerodynamic in regular practice?

I'm testing again Sunday. I'll post my findings.

rule of thumb not written in stone

180 gram headers one pound nozzeled

300 gram two pound nozzeled

500 gram three pound nozzeled

so far my one and two lifted more by 20 percent(216 grams and 323) GOD LUCK let me know your test results please! jeff

Edited by allrocketspsl

If I had anymore fuel, I would make one for you next week All.

-dag

so you have perfected the red/mag i would luv to see it,large header?I was broke by the time mine got decent headers perch is so exspensive good perch anyway and Im cheap so i went back to bp.But I love the way the red looks taking off the whole area is red daylight when it turns on

rule of thumb not written in stone

180 gram headers one pound nozzeled

300 gram two pound nozzeled

500 gram three pound nozzeled

so far my one and two lifted more by 20 percent(216 grams and 323) GOD LUCK let me know your test results please! jeff

I think you can lift more with a 1 pound nozzled. 3",4" (for 4" you'll need little or no delay though).

This is a 4" TTTi shell on a 1 pound nozzled. I know, broke it too hard blew some of my stars to smithereens..

Come to think of it, this my first video here :) Premier p-p-p-p-Premier Premier..

I need to lift a 300 gram header to an acceptable height (for 72 1/2" RG1 pumped stars) on a 1 lb core burner. I have both the Wolter BP and dagabu 1 lb tooling.

Can you help?

just thought i would show you my 1lb mortor,im testing a new batch of fuel,tonight I should have a 180 gram and a 225 gram header using this fuel and if I can my 2lb motor with 325 gram

Edited by allrocketspsl

I think you can lift more with a 1 pound nozzled. 3",4" (for 4" you'll need little or no delay though).

This is a 4" TTTi shell on a 1 pound nozzled. I know, broke it too hard blew some of my stars to smithereens..

Come to think of it, this my first video here :) Premier p-p-p-p-Premier Premier..

yeah I can do a tt 4 inch as it wont weigh as much as a star filled with metal,alot of diff from tt to matal based stars,great rocket!

yeah I can do a tt 4 inch as it wont weigh as much as a star filled with metal,alot of diff from tt to matal based stars,great rocket!

Thnx!

Haven't made much else then C-based stars yet up till now. But soon I'll get some new chems and I'll step into a more colorful world.

I'll probably get my mineral oil tomorrow then I'l complete my mill run and go press one, and time permitting send one up! I'll post a vid then.

Thnx!

Haven't made much else then C-based stars yet up till now. But soon I'll get some new chems and I'll step into a more colorful world.

I'll probably get my mineral oil tomorrow then I'l complete my mill run and go press one, and time permitting send one up! I'll post a vid then.

heres my new fuel for a one pounder,jeff

But it's flying the wrong way.

No shame in static tests ;)

@Allrocket : Are you ramming these or pressing. It looks like you can deff step up your oixdizer/fuel ratio as 57-34 looks a bit tame to me.

nice job on the rocket, please tell us more about it.

Willow bp i presume? one thing i forgot to mention about these is the lack of "tail" the mineral oil really kills it off , one member on the uk forums came up with the novel idea of starting off with a "plug" of oiled bp propellant, say 1", or 1.5 " long then switching to straight un oiled bp propellant = more juice and a nice tail

Edited by drthrust

No shame in static tests ;)

@Allrocket : Are you ramming these or pressing. It looks like you can deff step up your oixdizer/fuel ratio as 57-34 looks a bit tame to me.

will show the final product monday night,yes always ramming,my 57/34/9 is perfect for mine the way i make them ,when I use my charcoal in a certain mix I can get red tails from initial ignition to apogee no kidding.They fly true as any Ive seen!Top core light so it goes in one second the other two or three seconds are delay.Been making them for two years this way! When I make new batch of fuel I always do 3 in ground before adding headers,Im cheap and hate waisting. Thanks for asking! J