APC Forum

1/4" bottle rockets

Blackthumb

Hmm, that changes things a little, but we'll see. I just made another one that I am pretty confidant will fly just fine. Nozzleless BP with a bag shell with red mouseturd stars.

By the way, a few wraps of kraft around a 3/4" rammer makes a bag shell that looks just right on these.

My latest bottle rockets have been very entertaining.

I put in a few increments of meal powder plus 10%Ti, then a few increments of red tail rocket fuel.

They lift with a silver tail that turns red halfway through the flight.

Hmm, that changes things a little, but we'll see. I just made another one that I am pretty confidant will fly just fine. Nozzleless BP with a bag shell with red mouseturd stars.

By the way, a few wraps of kraft around a 3/4" rammer makes a bag shell that looks just right on these.

I like the way you think, cant wait to see them fly.

-dag

video later, the ones with the bag shells worked great. The one with meal-d and a festival ball CATO'ed

Here is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkpuCUdcBl4

Forgive the shakiness, my hands haven't been steady since a bad concussion about 10 years ago. As you can see, Meal-D is too hot for a nozzled SBR. The other 2 were nozzled with 70-20-10 BP that I used on 3/4" rockets all weekend.

You Tube's shaky video filter made it even worse. I tried to undo the changes, if it doesn't apply them soon I will re-upload the video.

Edited by nater

The easiest way to fly these rockets would be to use 75-15-10 BP, screen mixed and granulated, with no nozzle.

The spindles are based around the H/U specifications, so any of the fuels used for those should work too. I have used milled and screen mixed BP in various ratios and the only one that did not fly was the meal-d with a nozzle as pictured above.

I only weighed the one I didn't think would fly. The one that CATO'ed had a header that weighed 30.9g. The other two were probably around 8-10g, maybe even a little less. The headers were simple bag shells made from kraft wrapped around a 3/4" former. One was full of red microstars, the other bits of fish fuse. Both were broke with the same granulated BP rocket fuel. The one pound rocket at the end of the video just had 3 grams of binary mixed flash in the empty space of the motor with an end cap glued on. Edited by nater

• 2 years later...

Elephant 116 Fuse Powder is almost exactly equivalent to my scratch made 60:30:10 BP and GOEX BP is (in the correct mesh) is almost as fast as my scratch made 75:15:10. Meal-D is just 75:15:10 in -7FA with the fines. With a nozzle, a 1/4" rocket will easily lift a 7/8" header and with a top lit, nozzled Meal-D rocket, it will list a 2" ball shell to a respectable height as well.

Of course, your mileage may vary...

@Juiceh, I use 9000 LPI on the fuse powder

-dag

How long do you mill your 60-30-10 ? I didnt think it would have enugh power for end burners.

• Like 1

Thinking back is tuff, I think this was a cored rocket motor with a nozzle for the first one and a nozzleless rocket for the second...

I have a very efficient ball mill using Zirc-M media (love that stuff) and it would take an hour to mill raw chems to be ready to make BP.

Indeed, you need fast BP for end burners.

Edited by dagabu

I use 30 min milled bp (60-30-10 + 2 to 5% nc for granulation) on my 6mm and they lift off like a lightning stroke. I can't use any any faster ase they cato with that

I use 75/15/10 in mine, with hot paulownia BP. I use real strong hand rolled tubes. They are extremely fast!

Does anyone have a simple fuel miv (bp chemicals) formula for the 1/4" sbr rockets?

Thanks,

Steve

I use:

4 KNO3

1 AF charcoal

1 sulfur

sieved, slightly moistened, dried and screened. It works well and they go fast, too.

WSM B)

I use:

4 KNO3

1 AF charcoal

1 sulfur

sieved, slightly moistened, dried and screened. It works well and they go fast, too.

WSM B)

Not ball milled?

I rarely use ball milled fuel for core burners. Keeps them nice and simple. 70/20/10 screen mixed and granulated as SLD taught me still works perfect.

I've been using 5/8 x 1 1/2" casings...no tooling....regular BP with great success. Fast, simple and lots of fun. 1/4" are too small for my 'old' hands...

I rarely use ball milled fuel for core burners. Keeps them nice and simple. 70/20/10 screen mixed and granulated as SLD taught me still works perfect.

SWEET! Old dogs can indeed learn new tricks! :P

Not ball milled?

No, it works fine without it. I live in an area not conducive to ball milling live compositions, so it doesn't happen here.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

I have only used 75-15-10 milled one hour and slightly oil dampened and they work well enugh for model rockets, that means they are more than good enugh for stick rockets. I want to make a screen mixed BP for end and core burners, but so far it seems to blow out one end or the other. I always thaught screen mixing made a slower fuel, the same thing happens to the sugar fuel. ????????? Is granulating necesary? I have tried several diferent variations, 70-20-10 will be next.

Granulating is your best choice. It presses nicer and is much less messy to load. The granulation process speeds powder up somewhat too.

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing this thread a little while ago. I went back to play with some bottle rockets. Made up some "super tooling" and managed to lift 30 grams, height was a touch low, but by no means dangerously low... I'm just used to my bigger motors :P. Nozzled w/40mm spindle and hot meal BP.