APC Forum

1/4" bottle rockets

Blackthumb

Whoa! I guess I better go back and buy the rest of them at the local IKEA store :lol: (the Wife will think I'm planning a BIG party with all those placemats).

WSM B)

I'll take an invite, we are small people ;)

-dag

I'll take an invite, we are small people ;)

-dag

you will be suprised how much pyro supplies yo will find if its anything like here ;)

dan.

Can always go to the river/marsh and gather some horsetail reeds.....dried they make great FREE sticks...

Can always go to the river/marsh and gather some horsetail reeds.....dried they make great FREE sticks...

Well, Let's see... Sticks from the store at under a penny a piece VS donning hip-waders, harvesting and the drying, handling, storing bulky bundles, etc. etc.

Thanks for the tip, Blackthumb. Given that out here in the West, we have less access to rivers and marshes (that aren't protected waterfowl habitat), I'll have to stick to buying them or ripping lumber to get my sticks.

WSM B)

We can get skewers year round here. I guess when it dips to a frigid 68F in California going outside to grill tofu and alfalfa sprouts really drives the demand down. :) You could probably just tell them that they're being insensitive toward your needs as a carnivore, and if they're going to discriminate against you for your dietary requirements, you'll take your business elsewhere.

We can get skewers year round here. I guess when it dips to a frigid 68F in California going outside to grill tofu and alfalfa sprouts really drives the demand down. :) You could probably just tell them that they're being insensitive toward your needs as a carnivore, and if they're going to discriminate against you for your dietary requirements, you'll take your business elsewhere.

Now, be nice ;). It actually gets down to the 50's these fall evenings; but I'm fairly close to the ocean. It gets cooler further inland and if you go up in the mountains; downright cold (snowy even). It's great weather, but dang crowded around here. I envy you guys who live in more rural areas and friendlier States, where folks don't go nuts if fireworks happen once in a while.

BBQing can work for most palates. I like vegetables between pieces of lean meat; such as onion, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and bell peppers go well between marinated beef or whatever meat choice suits you. Chicken teriyaki and pineapple chunks with the above works, too. Nuts! I'm getting hungry...:whistle:

As for the sticks, these are thinner and longer than the average bamboo skewers in the stores. I like them real well as sticks for SBRs.

WSM B)

that's a little bit california-ist! haha and once, it got below freezing here :blink: but id trade the weather for free fireworks shooting any day!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, they are not 1/4" rockets but I am making 7/16" rockets this winter.

Here are my lookalikes:

med_gallery_9798_102_18302.jpg

Here is the real deal:

med_gallery_9798_102_33643.jpg

-dag

Well, they are not 1/4" rockets but I am making 7/16" rockets this winter.

Here are my lookalikes:

med_gallery_9798_102_18302.jpg

Here is the real deal:

med_gallery_9798_102_33643.jpg

-dag

Those look great. I would never have been able to tell they weren't the real deal. I'll have to remember this once I get better at making rockets.

Nice work with those labels! They look great! Edited by pyrokid

Nice work with those labels! They look great!

now why did i not think of this, extra work but the fallout looks less suspicious.

dan.

Thanks guys! Here is the label for you to print out if you wish. It's pretty cheesy and hard to read but its not to bad for a prototype. I will be doing a series of brand new labels on photoshop this winter as time allows, all with fictitious names.

med_gallery_9798_102_25873.jpg

-dag

Thanks guys! Here is the label for you to print out if you wish. It's pretty cheesy and hard to read but its not to bad for a prototype. I will be doing a series of brand new labels on photoshop this winter as time allows, all with fictitious names.

med_gallery_9798_102_25873.jpg

-dag

Excellent!

Too bad I don't have a color printer :(. How about a black and white copy and color with crayons :wacko: ?!

Nice work, Dag :D

WSM B)

Excellent!

Too bad I don't have a color printer :(. How about a black and white copy and color with crayons :wacko: ?!

Nice work, Dag :D

WSM B)

Sure, gimme a little time to locate a pack around here but I can render these labels for black and white printing on kraft paper.

http://www.montefortefireworks.com/images_2/large_images/PoundRockets_Large.jpg

-dag

About the only way I could tell the recreations from the real deal is the shiny paper on the real thing.

About the only way I could tell the recreations from the real deal is the shiny paper on the real thing.

screen printed most likely.

is the dot class c the category and do you have an equivalent of british standard code to prevent fakery?

dan.

edit: un................?

Edited by dan999ification

screen printed most likely.

is the dot class c the category and do you have an equivalent of british standard code to prevent fakery?

dan.

edit: un................?

I believe the whole idea is if found by an agressive anti-fireworks individual, they'll presume it to be a commercial item rather than start a witch hunt to find a fabricator of amateur fireworks :o :blink:.

;)

WSM B)

Yes, the idea is to be able to have some safe fun with something limited in range and not paint a target on ones back. These however, will be shot at a sanctioned event with all laws being followed. I just like to share my ideas with you all so that you can play too.

-dag

That is one of the reasons I have been making 1/2" gerbs lately, quiet and does not attract any attention. I have been thinking about ordering one of the SBR kits from Steve M so I can get my rocket fix with less fallout and range than even a 1/2" rocket. Good idea with the colorful label.

That is one of the reasons I have been making 1/2" gerbs lately, quiet and does not attract any attention. I have been thinking about ordering one of the SBR kits from Steve M so I can get my rocket fix with less fallout and range than even a 1/2" rocket. Good idea with the colorful label.

Yes, even in a suburban area, it makes no more then a shoulder shrug when finding the empty shell.

-dag

I guess I am not worried about the fallout. I just mulch it with the rest of the crap when I am mowing. I do try to make the stuff easy to see though rather than just shooting it as is so I can see it if it is in with the animals who might eat it, like cows and horses. Vet calls are getting darn expensive these days. :)

I do want to say though those are really well made labels and I certainly saved the image in case I want to go ahead and dude things up for a special occasion. As you can see by my avatar, I like to draw on my shells just to make them look cooler before the shoot. It also seems to impress the kids more, though they always pout when I tell them they can't "play" with them. ;)

It seems this size rocket could be used for testing stars. Has anyone tried doing that or using the commercially available 2oz rockets to do this?

I reckon the black lettering on kraft paper looks better than the typical gawdy dayglo labels...it saves on ink too ;)

Saves alot more ink if you take some precut kraft to work and use their laser printers to make them. Just don't let the big boss man see. Unless he/she is into pyro too of course.

• 6 months later...

I finally got a set of the SBR toooling. Tomorrow, I will test some BP with a nozzle, nozzleless BP, BP with red delay, and red pressed all the way up the spindle. I really like how quick these are to press, and working with such small amounts of fuel will make it easy to test more energetic mixes.

It was really good timing since my stand for my press broke. This tooling just fits in my one ton arbor press, with the plate in place. It seems to be really easy to over press them too.

Edited by nater