APC Forum

Forum errors

FrankRizzo

Hmm if you can disable the fixed time limit for editing posts I think it would be better. Very often I'll have something to add to a post of mine at the end of a thread and I don't wish to double post / bump. This would also be nice for making notes in the composition section so alot of the info stays at the top of the page... Or the common pyro info thread/file thingamajig that I havn't really had time to add to.

Edit: I don't know how long the window is, and you might have already changed it. dunno.

Edited by asilentbob

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheSidewinder

• Mumbles

• FrankRizzo

• qwezxc12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Right now, New Users have a 5 minute edit window.

Full Member's can edit for 24 hours.

Donators get progressively more time, up to one week.

Mumbles and I have discussed it, and these are the limits that will remain.

I'm still investigating the WMV/AVI/MPG issue. It has me scratching my head at the moment. You *CAN* attach all those filetypes, but for some reason WMV's are being interpreted as AVI's. Everyone will have to bear with us for the time being.

Thank you.

OK, it appears that WMV files can be uploaded as an attachment to a post, but they will NOT automatically play, and actually might log you out of the Forum if you try to do so. To get around this, you can right-click on the WMV file and choose "Save-as", then save to your desktop to play "at home".

To get WMV files to actually play here, they must be submitted to a Gallery Album of your creation.

(I believe there is a Mod that can be added to play media files directly inside a post, but that will have to be a project for the future.)

I just submitted 3 WMV files to a new Gallery I made. These are the very first cannister shells I made, back in 2005. They worked, in so far as they lifted and broke well, but I have more work to do in order to get them symmetrical.

Autologin might well be a thing of the past. For now it's disallowed.

I believe it's possible to enable it, but only by disabling a couple of important security features, and I personally think that would be a very BAD idea.

That decision is, however, up to Mumbles.

A number of the features and idiosyncracies of the old software were glaring security holes, and that was one of them. With this new software, the security features implemented are for the good of not only the board, but for all users of it as well.

As I posted elsewhere, all browsers allow you to store your name and password for one-click retrieval. It's what I do every time I visit: Click once inside the Login box, click on my login name from the (very short) list that drops down, hit enter (or click Login), and I'm in. I think that's a very small price to pay for security, don't you?

Thank you.

Actually, I believe EVERYONE lost that ability.

It's a rather glaring security risk, after all.

If you use any mainstream browser, it saves your name and password for one-click retrieval anyway.

I'm logging in auto on my Mac/Safari. If that means anything. Or..maybe just not logging out?

Edited by Richtee

I'm logging in auto on my Mac/Safari. If that means anything. Or..maybe just not logging out?

I was logging in to check this thread to see if there was a reply. I was pleasently surprised to see that I didn't have to log in this time. I dont know what happend this go around but I was certainly logged in allready. Either way, what is so bad about auto login? Every other board in the world uses this feature. I do understand that we sometimes talk about sensetive material here but it should be up to the user to decide if his computer should or shouldnt store his login info. I for one dont have anyone around my personal computers that could swipe my pc and login as me. I certainly wouldnt use the auto login at a friends house or a public computer. So if I'm making some huge oversight or there is something I dont know about please let me know...

Had a look and discovered that the autologin capability IS active, but with a short time limit. I think as it's set, it's acceptable.

It's for our own security as well as your own, really. And while YOU might be very careful about security, others might not be.

Thank you.

Don't worry it happens to me too. Even by being an admin I still don't get special settings if that makes you feel any better.

Well..... *what* areas? :D

I can make a general permissions check, but so far you're the first person to report this.

If it's in a forum that you absolutely could post in before, then I have to fix it, certainly.

Give me a little help here. ;)

LMAO! :D

Don't feel bad. This new software will take some getting used to by everyone.

The autologin feature has been restricted to a short window, for better security all around.

With the "WWW" skin, I display a box with a "?" in it for forums with new posts....

Refresh the screen. ;)

I was substituting the old Red Skin new/no-new post icons for the default ones.

They should be in place now.

Refresh the screen. ;)

I was substituting the old Red Skin new/no-new post icons for the default ones.

They should be in place now.

Damm yer GOOD! :{)

If I were THAT good, I'd have written a custom skin. :D

I *AM* a good cut-and-paster, though, so the next thing I'll tackle is trying to figure out where the color codes are, so I can change this "1970's Harvest Gold and Baby Blue" skin to something a bit more modern. ;)

Hmmm..I'm not showing any "Sent messages" in my sent PM's area... yet I have sent a few. Got the received ones tho.

There has been one change in the PM behaviour, and I only noticed this a few days ago.

By default, you DO NOT get a copy of any Sent message, saved in your Sent Box. There is a box that you have to check to get a copy of sent messages placed in your Sent box. Stupid, if you ask me.

I'm trying to figure out how to change that globally.

For that matter, I'm trying to figure out how to change it on my OWN account.

I'll look into this some more. Thanks for reminding me.

FOLLOWUP:

Yup, IPS set it to be OFF by default, and there's no native method in the software for a user to change that to default as CHECKED.

I've just downloaded a Mod that allows Users to set their PM preferences as they wish, but I need to run through the APC forum test install to make sure it won't hose anything.

Give me a couple days to verify it works properly, then I'll install it.

If you ask me, that was a damned stupid decision on the part of IPS.

There used to be an "outbox" and a "sentbox" It would be autosaved to the outbox, but not the sent box. It seems during the upgrade they merged the two, but never initiated the autosave. I have every message I've ever sent, prior to the update.

Well, that explains part of it, then.

Richtee, are you saying you lost Sent PM's, that were in your Outbox and/or Sentbox from BEFORE the upgrade? IPS swore on a stack of bibles that all existing PM's, irrespective of box location, would be saved.

And I had already forgotten about the outbox. I have all my sent messages from before, too.

I'll get that Mod tested. It's annoying to have to remember to check that box for every PM I send.

Well, that explains part of it, then.

Richtee, are you saying you lost Sent PM's, that were in your Outbox and/or Sentbox from BEFORE the upgrade? IPS swore on a stack of bibles that all existing PM's, irrespective of box location, would be saved.

And I had already forgotten about the outbox. I have all my sent messages from before, too.

I'll get that Mod tested. It's annoying to have to remember to check that box for every PM I send.

Nope..I have sent them with the new 'ware too...nothing in my sent box. Lemme try again here.