APC Forum

Random Thread #1

Rooster

• 2 weeks later...

What do you make of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqG-TL0WnjE

Out of all the so called perpetual motion machines that I've sorted through this is the hardest one to discredit. Granted, the potential energy output of such a machine over its lifetime is probably less than what it takes to manufacture the magnets, but it's interesting.

Edited by NightHawkInLight

It's very clever. I watched it many times and I can't see how it's done. However, I don't believe it. The energy to turn the rotor comes from the potential energy of the falling bar at the top, and the cam has to replace that potential energy by lifting it every revolution. There is no way it could make more than one turn without some external energy input.

It's magic!

The video is a bit dodgy, seems to speed up and slow down but that aside its either got electromagnets out of sight behind that oh so convenient screen or it would have ground to a halt through friction if let run long enough.

It's very clever. I watched it many times and I can't see how it's done. However, I don't believe it. The energy to turn the rotor comes from the potential energy of the falling bar at the top, and the cam has to replace that potential energy by lifting it every revolution. There is no way it could make more than one turn without some external energy input.

The forward motion comes from the potential energy of the magnetic ramp, not the falling bar. On a flat surface a magnetic ramp can pull objects that are level with it all the way across, and even uphill. Lifting the bar only serves to back it away from where the ramp resets, where it would typically hold the running magnet in place. Not that that should necessarily work either, but you need to know the concept to refute it.

Graumann, electromagnets behind the screen? More than 6 inches away, capable of powering the wheel from multiple angles as the machine is rotated at 3:20 and again at 3:30 into the video? Making an electromagnet that could do that would be quite the accomplishment.

Edited by NightHawkInLight

• 4 weeks later...

How did you link the video PGF?

-dag

Under the font size tab, there's a small icon (chain link and a +), just copied the link there and hit OK.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Merry Christmas Eve to all. Happy to be home. Spent 2 weeks in the hospital. Appendix burst, gangrene set in, fun fun fun. Enjoying the peace and quiet of home and catching up on the threads.

Merry Christmas!

The highlight of my little display last night:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b330/WhyAreAllUserNamesTaken/tree2_zps37ae1c4e.jpg

• Like 1

So now that the delay supplied by her fainting incident has expired, it's now rumored that Hillary will again not be able to testify in the Bengazi hearing due to...canker sores. I'm really hoping that story turns out to be a fake. Every last shred of honor and moral fiber is massacred by modern politics.

No sir, I disagree, every last shred of honor and moral fiber is massacred by modern politics throughout all of time.

After fainting and suffering a concussion she will use the excuse that she does not recall

certain facts being asked. She has that part covered allready.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm only 26 and I'm already turning into a grumpy old man.

Heard some fireworks go off in the background and my first thought was "gosh darn kids ruining my peaceful evening." "Gosh darnit can't you see I'm trying to have a nice peaceful night of making chipboard end disks?"

• 3 weeks later...
Tried moving a 300lb steel plate down a flight of stairs by myself. First step in and it tilted and wanted to slide. Then it did slide. Very glad not to have been underneath it when it hit the floor, which the corner of the plate cleaved into like excalibur. Looking back on it, I might have done things differently...

A man has to know his limits and now you know the floors' limit. :unsure: Sounds like my gun safe story. :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...
I found out that feeding a 1 mil gold wire through a microscopic hole with a pair of tweezers can be a bit frustrating. Attempting to use a wire-bonder...

• 1 month later...

I saw one of these at the hardware store today on clearance: http://www.amazon.com/BOS-Snowball-Snowman-Fun-Mold/dp/B001OA4LLY

It's maybe 16" in diameter...I also found these: http://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Force-Snowball-Maker-Winter/dp/B004RAR6GK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_3

There's got to be a number of things they could be useful for. Making hemi's at least.

So my little cousin wants me to help him make a lance piece that says "PROM?" as an over-the-top means for asking his girlfriend to the prom.

My prediction is that the stickymatch will fail in such a way that the last line of the "M" will not light, making things very awkward. (Of course, this will be a complete accident which I had nothing to do with)