APC Forum

flash powder safety

joker5

The lift can provide a sudden jolt or shock to the shell, so it is entirely possible.

Ti hitting Ti can spark. Titanium salutes have the possibility to go off if it is free, and moving around in the shell.

So pretty much what your saying is just leave litle space. Just enought for the plug so it doesnt have room to move around.

Also instead of posting twice..this will be the new aluminum im buying since plans and kits are idiot liars and have a bad record..im gonna buy some of this for 70/30 flash.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Indian-Blackhead-2-mic...1QQcmdZViewItem What do you guys think? have any of you experimented with this aluminum for flash? If so was it good?

Well, they are making stuff up, but yes, it will work.

There is no such thing as Indian Blackhead star molecule aluminum. It's actually just normal indian blackhead, which is 8 microns, and the price is jacked up.

i would check pyroaluminum.com, that is where i got mine ,it is advrtised as star molecule 2 micron. it is the finest powder i have ever seen. it works very well in 70/30. i ordered 2 pounds for 38.50 inc. shipping. i got it in 2 less than 48 hours. he then sent me 2 pounds a week later that i didnt order, and i havent been able to get a hold of him to send it back. he didnt charge me so i think iwill keep it . i decided 10 gram salutes both aerial and ground are plenty big enough for my taste. this al. makes VERY HOT flash. i am very pleased with it so you might want to check it out.

What makes the blackhead aluminums so reactive? I mean, what would be different about a bar of german blackhead aluminum (If it can be made in bar form) compared to a bar of normal aluminum? Or does the reactivity come from the manufacturing process.

It's reactivity comes from the manufacturing process. It is rolled into a very thin sheet, glued onto a piece of paper, sliced up, and burned to remove the paper and glue. The carbon is what give it it's dark color. It also prevents the oxide layer from forming making it much more reactive.

I suppose you could make a bar of it, but it would just be a waste. Grinding it up wouldn't make it any more reactive than just straight Al.

I beg to differ personally. I wouldn't pay any more than $14 or $15 for it. I suppose if you are underage, and don't have the appropriate contacts, then it would be a good price though.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with flash powder safety. Get it back on topic, or I am going to start deleting posts.

You need to watch out for sparks and what. Friction too.. Has anyone had any accidents with Flash? Just wondering.. I mean while making it. I havn't heard of too many.

How safe is KNO3/Mg flash? I have seen much on it.

I'm using this flash as my safest flash powder.

As far as I know this flash is very safe. I made some hammer test and it was very inert (But I know this test don't tell you alot of information and can give wrong conclusions).

I guess that if you use protected Mg so you can save it for a long time.

I'm using KNO3/Mg/S flash and i'm adding 1% of boric acid to stabilize it.

Is it true that every time you double the ammunt of flash used, the power increases 10x?

No, it is not. If you double the size of the pile, the amount of flash, and "power" I suppose, does increase by 8 though. That is just simple geometry.

If you double the size of the pile - the amount of flash powder is doubled too. not increase by 8. :huh:

If you double the size of the pile - the amount of flash powder is doubled too. not increase by 8. :huh:

Did you even bother to do the math or just blurt that out ? If by "double the size of the pile" you mean twice as high, and twice as wide, do your math again.

Assume a truncated cone, 2 inches wide at the base, 1 inch wide at the top, and 1 inch tall, volume will be 1.83 in^3.

If you make the same pile 4 inches wide at the base, 2 inches wide on top, and 2 inches tall, volume will increase to 14.66 in^3 , or 8X.

4 lessons from this: 1) - don't guess in pyro, 2) - do your own math, and 3) - if Mumbles asserts something based on math or chemistry, he is very likely correct and it makes you look ignorant to argue with him, if you ignore #1 and #2, 4) - 6" shells take 8X as many chems to make as a 3" shell !

I'm using KNO3/Mg/S flash and i'm adding 1% of boric acid to stabilize it.

What reaction is the boric acid protecting from ? It's usually used to protect against alkaline reaction between KNO3 and Al. I've never heard of it having any effect in a KNO3 / Mg comp.

I like lesson 3. I should put that in the official forum rules.:lol: That is exactly what I was getting at.

As far as the magnesium goes, the boric acid doesn't help. I'd have to look it up though, it is purely off of memory. Additionally, the nitrate-Mg reaction is not as dangerous. It produces much less heat(almost none assuming it is not soaking wet), and no ammonia. The nitrate simply corrodes the Mg surface with moisture. I don't know that there is anyway to stop it by simple addition to the forumla. Coating and passivating it would be the only way I know of.

LOL Frozentech,

it's only different grasps (sorry if I'm using the word incorrectly) - you think double pile = twice as high, and twice as wide. and I undrestand double the pile = double the volume of the pile.

Trust me I know 4th grade math without you telling me.... ^_^

originaly the question was " double the ammunt of flash used", so double the volume. it's you who don't understand it right.

LOL Frozentech,

it's only different grasps (sorry if I'm using the word incorrectly) - you think double pile = twice as high, and twice as wide. and I undrestand double the pile = double the volume of the pile.

Trust me I know 4th grade math without you telling me.... ^_^

originaly the question was " double the ammunt of flash used", so double the volume. it's you who don't understand it right.

Well, it was you who said "double the size of the pile", not the mass of the flash. The very reason we don't use volume for measurement in pyro, as a general rule.

Are there any adverse reactions between Sr(NO3)2 and Mg or MgAl I should know about? I make flash with 60/35/5 (Sr(NO3)2/Mg or MgAl/PVC). This flash is as powerful as KNO3/Mg and gives brilliant red flashes. Needs to be confined properly for a nice report though...

But is it ok. to store above mix for a period of a couple of months?

edit: sp.

IMHO, KNO3:Mg flash (in 50/50) is not as safe as some other flashpowders such as perchlorate/dark aluminum (70/30). Of course, I guess it all depends on what mesh magnesium you are using. I used 2 micron from skylighter (or so it was advertised) and the flashpowder made from this proved to be very very flame sensitive. Extremely fast burning as well. Almost appeared as a high explosive when a line was lit. It also seems that magnesium based flashpowder are not as good as aluminum based ones. I would assume that its because the magnesium does not turn into a gas as you would want it to. Maybe mumbles could explain this.

As I've said to you before, this Mg does make some scarily amazing flash. It has also prved to be more flame sensitive than my Al based flash. My BP ingites more readily than my Al based flash aswell.

My Mg flash self confines at under a gram, under half a gam even, so it scares me even more.

And Al flash produces some solid components, just as Mg flash does. Mg should make a better flash just because of its reactivity.

But this is off topic as this is a saftey topic, not a best flash topic.

Aye, I don't believe its self confining. I know what you are talking about, and I think its just breaking the speed barrier muahaha. Just joking, but it wouldn't seem that logical that half a gram is self confining. I know they are super flame sensitive. Its just I don't think that they are as good for salutes as aluminum based comps. A cherry bomb, in 1-inch cup set with 3grams Al based flash doesn't seem as loud as a cherry bomb, in 1-inch cup set with 3grams of Mg based flash.

BTW, I'm talking noise wise, not power wise. They are not always in direct correlation.

Coming back to the myth of "Twice the weight (!) of flash has 8 times the power": This is cookbook nonsense. 3g flash equal 2g TNT (blast-wise). If above were correct, 3kg would equal 2 *billion* (1000x1000x1000) grams TNT, and one bucket would beat the hiroshima bomb. Obviously not the case.

It is even the other way round: To get twice the overpressure at a given distance, you need 8 times the amount. This is the reason that above a certain size, salutes make no sense. A second reason is that your ear goes into limit-mode, the thump in the chest may increase, but it hardly gets 'louder' any more.