APC Forum

flash powder safety

joker5

i' ve got aluminum and potassium perc, now i want to here the best ideas on safety to mix it, txs

I thought UN took all that stuff down? I have archived them all if anyone wants them.

And you should read alot more before messing around with flash. But so you won't get hurt:

Mix in a humid enviroment, 50% relative humidity or higher. Spray everything with antistatic spray, the paper, yourself, clothes, shoes. Wear only cotton clothes. It is highly advisable to make a grounding strap to ground yourself with. Always use the diaper method to mix flash powders.

Just in case you don't know, which it sounds like you don't. Put the weighed out perc and al on a paper. Pull in the corners folding the powders over themselves to mix them.

Why is it that when this guy comes in with no posts and asks right off the bat how to make flash, you guys give him tips, but when I mentioned flash, mumbles says "Oh no, he's a newb, gahhh!" I'm not really complaining, but like, I'm a more reputable source then this guy.....and can someone explain the diaper method please?

Put the weighed out perc and al on a paper. Pull in the corners folding the powders over themselves to mix them.

1. He is not asking how to make flash but rather ensuring he has all the safety information he requires.

2. From reading many of your posts I believe you are far from reputable.

Does anybody else think this thread only needs one or two replies, infact It should be dead by now. ;)

thanks for the info you guys have put out, i just dont want to maim or kill myself. im not even sure i want to mess with flash after some of the stories i have heard. i have 4 pounds of aluminum i might just dump, i'm not sure yet.

That would be a stupid waste dude!! Flash is not the only thing you can use fine Al for, there are many other comps that use it. If you are going to get rid of it sell it don't dump it.

it wouldnt be too much lost, 4pounds for $38.50. anybody want to buy a pound or two?

You know, he never did say it was flash Al. It could just be another kind, which is far more usefull in more eye pleasing ways. Judging from the price, I would say some kind of flitter, or -325 atomised.

Ya i just bought 3 lbs of -600 and its gonna cost 37$ with shipping added in that. the perch..hmm more expensive..but idk where else to get it cheaper that doesnt ask for ur ID before they send it to you.
  • Like 1

the aluminum is from pyroaluminum.com, look there and then you will know what it is. has anyone here used there al.?

You were retarded enough to contemplate dumping that amazing aluminum. I now have more aluminum than I need otherwise I would have bought it off of you. Hold on to it, You could make some weak flash if you wanted. Or sell it for a reduced price. There are plenty of people who would buy it off of you.

the aluminum is from pyroaluminum.com, look there and then you will know what it is. has anyone here used there al.?

You have some of the most reactive Al there is. SO reactive I don't have much use for it other than flash, and 4 lb is going to last you a looooong time. Be careful, do some research, and follow all the safety rules. Any flash you make with that is NOT going to be 'weak flash'.

hi guys, i have been making salutes and salute rockets from quite some time. I was wondering, ordering this stuff from ebay. will i have the feds come to my house or something? I just now started buying online since its cheaper.

Well... the only case I have heard of is when a supplier has sales records subpeona'd by the ATFE, the ATF then sent letters out warning people that manufacture of salutes and certain devices is illegal, and what the penalties are, etc. No one that received those letters ever had a visit from them though that I have heard of.

Here is a link to a copy of the letter ( many people received these in a short period last year, who were customers of a few of the larger known pyro suppliers )

http://www.scdesigns.org/DEPTOFJUSTICE.html

As far as I know it is just illegal if you store your salutes or transport them or sell them. If you mix them on site it is perfectly legal to manufacture explosive material for personal use without a liscense. Look around on the ATF website. I saw on there a whole section on how it is legal to make just about any kind of explosive material just so it is personal use and you use it right away.

The ATF really only has jurisdiction over storage legalities, despite what they may think. CPSC only has jurisdiction over sale, despite what they also may think. DOT has jurisdiction over transport.

There are a few things that can regulate use though. Local noise, or firework ordinances could come into play. If your town has an ordanance against all not safe and sane fireworks, you are pretty much fucked either way. There is no way to get around it.

Hahaha, I'd be fucked. In illinois the only thing allowed are smoke devices and sparklers (and other such devices). Its also illegal to manufacture your own black powder in this country without a license, I found that out a while ago (but not the hard way luckily)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland

Switzerland is the only country in which it is lawful to make your own black powder, as only black powder for blasting purposes is covered by laws and governmental decrees."

If anyone has proof that this information is wrong, please tell me. It doesn't seem right that out of 192 countries, there is only one that allows manufacture of blackpowder without a license.

Hahaha, I'd be fucked. In illinois the only thing allowed are smoke devices and sparklers

Same here man. novelty fireworks. Not just sparlers and smoke bombs.

Ha count your selves lucky, here in NY you cant even get those. The only thing you can get are those bang snaps. Damn the soccer moms :angry: . As for the flash issue. Pay it safe and respect this stuff. My smallest salutes wihich are a little over 1/16" I.D. and an little under 1/8" O.D. can make a pretty loud bang. (and blow up a nice patch of snow ;) )

well, i mixed my first batches of flash tonight. i'm glad to say i am still here and wont be in the news. imade 5 salutes-batches, 1 10 gram, 1 20gram, 2 40 gram, and the big boy- 150gram salute. the loudest boom i have ever heard. it was louder than the 12 inch kumora shell in my picture

post-4-1145777807_thumb.jpg

Edited by joker5