APC Forum

flash powder safety

joker5

well, i mixed my first batches of flash tonight. i'm glad to say i am still here and wont be in the news. imade 5 salutes-batches, 1 10 gram, 1 20gram, 2 40 gram, and the big boy- 150gram salute. the loudest boom i have ever heard.

I somehow can't understand this, you come here and ask questions on FP safety and how you want to dump you Flash grade Al and now you tell us you made 220grams of flash powder.

I'm speechless.

Did a bit of spring cleaning. Somehow, when I think of "Flash Powder Safety", I don't think giant bulk salutes.

With salutes that size, don't be so sure you won't be in the news.

I just want to take the time to remind everyone, bulk salutes are not what we are about here. We are cracking down on stuff like this. We are here to promote pyrotechnics in a postive light, advance the art of pyrotechnics, and help people to learn properly. Bulk salutes are actually detrimental to the three. There is no skill or artistry in making ground salutes. We the administration ask you to stop with the discussion of common bulk salutes. There are legitimate places to use salutes, but the ground is not one of them.

here here PGF and mumbles you come on here asking safety advice and then just totally disregard it, your an accident waiting to happen.

I haven't even gone so far as making my first device yet but even i know that making that much flash is just an accident waiting to happen, especially when you claimed to have no knowledge of the safety aspects of the stuff.

Hurm... I am in conflict with two opinions. I quite often use 5g salutes to throw dirt in amature films and as gunfire simulators. But anything more than 10g is just excessive. I do enjoy a good bang of course, but it is always better in the air as opposed to on the ground.

here here PGF and mumbles you come on here asking safety advice and then just totally disregard it, your an accident waiting to happen.

I haven't even gone so far as making my first device yet but even i know that making that much flash is just an accident waiting to happen, especially when you claimed to have no knowledge of the safety aspects of the stuff.

Look advice was given. Probably the best buy mumbles and pgf. Salutes that size are dangerous. We advise against it because in those amounts flash is more dangerous (if I'm not mistaken). Shit that big just makes us look like terrorists or retarded pre-pubescent fools trying to blow random shit up. It's not good for us, especially in a prejudice society where the actions of a few unfortunately speak for the whole.

Yeah, it wasn't that smart. Now lets drop it to avoid starting a flame war. What do you guys think is the most flame sensitive flashpowder? IMO, its KNO3:Mg in a 50:50. It doesn't seem that good for making salutes though, as it doesn't give off as much gas as something like a perchlorate/sulfur/aluminum one or even a perchlorate/dark aluminum. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Joker5, those are absolutely ridiculous. I completely agree with pretty green flames all the way! Maybe do us all a favor and put quickmatch fuse on those.

The most flame sensitive flash IMO would be chlorate and super fine mg.

how many people out ther have done professional shows? im just wondering.they are alot of work, but well worth thrill of putting the fusee to the quickmatch, and being just a few feet from the mortar when they luanch. anybody have interests in jet cars or top fuel? they make a good bunch o noise too! and very fast .also,does anyone know how much flash is in a 3 inch arial salute?

Look advice was given. Probably the best buy mumbles and pgf. Salutes that size are dangerous. We advise against it because in those amounts flash is more dangerous (if I'm not mistaken). Shit that big just makes us look like terrorists or retarded pre-pubescent fools trying to blow random shit up. It's not good for us, especially in a prejudice society where the actions of a few unfortunately speak for the whole.

I was agreeing with PGF and mumbles.

My punctuation or lack of it probably made it sound like I was having a go.

Sorry

Well for my 2 inch aerial salutes, I use 40grams of perchlorate/dark aluminum flash. One thing you gotta remember though is that a 3inch aerial shell is not 1.5 times the size of a 2inch. A 3inch is 3 times the size of a 2inch (using 4/3piR^3). But don't use that as a guidline for how much flash to put in. 120 grams of flash is a little excessive (and dangerous since this is a flash safety thread). Does anyone know what size of shell they use for comercial aerial salutes? Is it a 3inch?

three inch is the most common size for commercial salutes, i've also used 2.5 inch and seen 4 inch, but 3 is the most common , both round and cylinder type.

Maybe do us all a favor and put quickmatch fuse on those.

I don't think that was very nice, plus it will just add to another firework related death.

Joker5, how much did that 12 inch shell you have in your avatar weigh anyways? Also, thanks for the info on aerial salute sizes.

the 12 inch shell weighed about 45 pounds, we set off 6 at this show.every time we lit one we had 5 or 6 small fires in the field where we were shooting. the stars in those kumora shells burn all the way to the ground.

Damn, very nice. I know this is off topic, but did you use homemade blackpowder? If so, how much did you use for each shell?

this shell was a professionally made shell from japan. i am yet to make homemade black powder . sometimes i use commericially made black powder for my pyro hobbies, but i have to drive 100 miles round trip to get it. usually i just use pyrodex,i can get that at walmart or my local ranch/gun store. it works every bit as good as bp.i use a lot of it for my salute cannons. my big one can take as much as a half pound in one shot, so i go through a lot of it. plus , they are totally legal so, no worries.

Oh okay, well back to flashpowder safety

Anyone ever heard of or had an occurence where flashpowder went off just from launching it out of a mortar tube? If so, what kind?

The shell, like has there every been an occurence of a specific kind of flashpowder going off from the launch? It would be interesting to experiment with an impact sensitive flashpowder

Well some flashes have been known to be shock sensitive so it does hold some plausibility. But then again you have to factor in the possibility that the fool didn't correctly seal the shell and some fire from the lift entered and caused the flash to ignite.

Lol, murderskill, I'm not looking on how to make aerial shells. I was just looking if there is a flashpowder thats shock sensitive like primaries.

I doubt that many flashes are sensative enough to be ignited by acceleration, when they say shock sensitive it usually means if you drop something heavy on it or shake it around lots.

The lift can provide a sudden jolt or shock to the shell, so it is entirely possible.

Ti hitting Ti can spark. Titanium salutes have the possibility to go off if it is free, and moving around in the shell.