APC Forum

Soo a recipe/cookin' thread?

Richtee

Sorry of the late reply....

Some basics... for most wild large game, you'll want to use up to 40% pork butt/shoulder in the mix. Game tends to be lean, and typically you remove the "fat" <tallow> as well. In my deer venison sausage I use 30%.

I also cure any sausage intended to smoke. Safer that way. Also all wild game SHOULD be froze for a couple weeks before using. Not that I always do that, especially if I got the deer. But for bear, moose, and other more "wild" game I'd follow that recommendation.

Have you made sausage before? What type of press do you have? Ever smoked it or just fresh?

I just saw your reply Richtee, I haven't checked this thread for awhile. I've never made sausage before, but would like to try it out. I'll hopefully bag a deer in a few weeks, no plans on moose hunting or anything else this year :( . I also have a few lbs of goose in the freezer that I shot this weekend, I am considering trying to make sausage out of that too...do you have any recipes or ideas? My dad has a smoker so that is an option. All I currently have is a meat grinder with sausage tube attachments.

I really like garlic sausage...maybe Polish or Ukrainian?

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Richtee

• TheSidewinder

• qwezxc12

• Mumbles

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mmh... Speaking of Polish sausage, I'm going to Poland on Wednesday, I'll be sure to have lots of good meat... Whenever I go there I gain a couple of kgs... :D

I just saw your reply Richtee, I haven't checked this thread for awhile. I've never made sausage before, but would like to try it out. I'll hopefully bag a deer in a few weeks, no plans on moose hunting or anything else this year :( . I also have a few lbs of goose in the freezer that I shot this weekend, I am considering trying to make sausage out of that too...do you have any recipes or ideas? My dad has a smoker so that is an option. All I currently have is a meat grinder with sausage tube attachments.

I really like garlic sausage...maybe Polish or Ukrainian?

I have no experience with goose, but here's a link to my main smoking/cooking site:

Goose sausage

And I find those grinder stuffers work for shit. The problem is the meat gets "crushed" going back thru the auger for stuffing. Fine if yer making weiners or bologna, but if you want any "grain" in your sausage, find a dedicated stuffer.

Any Polish Kielbasa recipe usually has plenty of garlic... or you can mod a recipe to fit your tastes, of course. Just beware of smoking sausage, it SHOULD be cured using nitrates, unless you are SURE to get the meat over 140° within 4 hours. Which..can cause fat melt-out trouble. Also uncured groiund meat has to be taken to 165° eventually, which WILL melt out some fat. Cure it...and read up on that, as nitrates can harm you in incorrect amounts.

I seem to be doing more cooking these days (should be doing more pyro...)

Pan seared Tilapia seasoned with Thai red pepper, fresh ground Coriander and Garlic,

Sautéed Onion, Apple and Carrot compote with black pepper and fresh Green Coriander seeds,

and wilted fresh Arugula and Spinach greens...

Went well with the wine, too...

(Very pleased that Ladyfriends appreciate a man who can cook ;) )

post-747-1225207351_thumb.jpg

I seem to be doing more cooking these days (should be doing more pyro...)

(Very pleased that Ladyfriends appreciate a man who can cook ;) )

Hell...*I* appreciate a man that can cook! Gives me time to drink...LOL! Nice looking plate there Qwezxc. Bravo!

I just remembered today, an essential ingredient in my green chile recipe... Two pieces of garlic toast. Heavy on the garlic! Toasted a bit on the brown side. Just slide that SOB in there after the chile's been cooking a while. I didn't even bother stirring em in until several hours later.

Plan on making another batch of chile this week. And some "jalapeno" poppers out of those whole chiles.. I got some cheddar and cream cheese, bread crumbs etc. I'll try the stuffed method and the diced/wadded method.

OK you scurvy dogs, bow before the splendor of cured pork.

Today, this pirate sails upon the culinary seas. Pictured is the final product of curing pork belly with brown sugar, juniper berries, bay leaves, black pepper, and salt. PANCETTA! Oh baby, baby.

I'm frying up diced redskin potatoes in rendered duck fat and sprinkled liberally with sea salt. Right towards the end, add in minced Rosemary leaves to add some aromatic goodness and then top off with diced pancetta. Who needs sex when ya got this??

http://www.apcforum.net/forums/uploads/121...37_17_32103.jpg

Closeup

http://www.apcforum.net/forums/uploads/121...37_17_35514.jpg

BTW, see that S.O.B on the right? Yeah, I'm talking about the 10" Henckels Chefs Knife. He had a serious disagreement with my left, middle finger last night. He won. Never bring a finger to a knife fight.

Edited by OneEyeCharlie

OK you scurvy dogs, bow before the splendor of cured pork.

BTW, see that S.O.B on the right? Yeah, I'm talking about the 10" Henchkels Chefs Knife. He had a serious disagreement with my left, middle finger last night. He won. Never bring a finger to a knife fight.

<BOW> That is beautiful! Love the nice roll on it. Hmm no nitrates?

And my Wustoff got me on this jerky project I completed yesterday..don't bring a thumb to one either.

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr72/esalink/1109080753.jpg

Thanks Richtee. I've found that it helps to tape my fingers before tying it up. That way I can really reef down on it without the twine cutting me. The first few times, I was trying to finish up as all those spices were hitting little twine cuts. YOW!

In my haste I forgot to mention the pink salt. Use it sparingly, but enough to hold down bacteria. Where do you get yours? I order it online from Butcher & Packer.

Nice jerky. What cut of meat did you use? Until I get some venison coming in, I've been using eye of round. Speaking of... got a whole eye hanging down in the brig right now. Breasola. Last one got a bit too tough, but was still nice sliced thinly on an antipasto platter :D

In my haste I forgot to mention the pink salt. Use it sparingly, but enough to hold down bacteria. Where do you get yours? I order it online from Butcher & Packer.

I order usually right from Morton... I'm a Tenderquick fan. Easier amounts to measure. Even tho I DO own a Ohaus of course...LOL! I buy it my the case of 1 Lb. bags.

Nice jerky. What cut of meat did you use? Until I get some venison coming in, I've been using eye of round. Speaking of... got a whole eye hanging down in the brig right now. Breasola. Last one got a bit too tough, but was still nice sliced thinly on an antipasto platter :D

Indeed whole top round. Bit of trimming/"de-sinewing" <is that a word?> but it's pretty lean. And the fattier muscle in one..I grind for burger or summer sausage or whatever. MMM breasola! Man have not had that since I was a kid! I should take a run at it. I have a curing project starting soon, Hungarian paprika bacon Abalt Szalonna- similar to the pancehtta in that you can eat it cold, typically with rye. SEEDLESS please!

Edited by Richtee

As a fan of making boeuf bourgogne with pancetta as opposed to salt pork...beautiful (yes, it is possible to address a rolled. salted piece of pig belly as 'beautiful'...just like at the bar at 2am. perhaps it's best if you close your eyes first). kudos.

Some cured pork loin

Destined to become some Canadian bacon, and a Hungarian delight called Paprika bacon. These have been in cool thin smoke for 7 hours at this point. I figger another 6 or so... temps never topped 140°. Caution to imitators- the meat MUST be cured to be smoked at these low temps!

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr72/esalink/100_8169.jpg

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr72/esalink/100_8171.jpg

I'll take that one on the bottom right!! Just box it up and ship it to me!! :D

Heh... I might just send a sampler! Man that dust left in the bottom of the lump bag is AWESOME for sparks! Just tried a mine with a teaspoon on that on top of the BP...Wooo! Cooking and pyro ARE related beyond fire!

Heh... I might just send a sampler! Man that dust left in the bottom of the lump bag is AWESOME for sparks! Just tried a mine with a teaspoon on that on top of the BP...Wooo! Cooking and pyro ARE related beyond fire!

*drool*

Where was I? Oh yeah... Tell us more about Hungarian Paprika Bacon. It sounds delicious and I'd never even heard of it until just now.

And of COURSE cooking and Pyro are related. Who'd think otherwise? ;)

Tell us more about Hungarian Paprika Bacon. It sounds delicious and I'd never even heard of it until just now.

OK here's some basic info Szalonna

It's usually either belly or jowl meat, but loin can be used. Not QUITE as good <less fat LOL> but still worthy. Cured, then smoked low and slow. Then it's simmered after smoking with a crapload of fresh garlic cloves in the water and an onion or so. When it becomes "fork tender" it's removed and drained. While still warm, it's rolled in good quality Hunky sweet paprika <Sezegd brand is my fave> and wrapped tight and chilled for a couple days.

The paprika flavor permeates the meat, complementing the garlic and smoke perfectly! Usually eaten cold out of the fridge, with good Hunky SEEDLESS rye bread. Oh, the memories!

OK here's some basic info Szalonna

It's usually either belly or jowl meat, but loin can be used. Not QUITE as good <less fat LOL> but still worthy. Cured, then smoked low and slow. Then it's simmered after smoking with a crapload of fresh garlic cloves in the water and an onion or so. When it becomes "fork tender" it's removed and drained. While still warm, it's rolled in good quality Hunky sweet paprika <Sezegd brand is my fave> and wrapped tight and chilled for a couple days.

The paprika flavor permeates the meat, complementing the garlic and smoke perfectly! Usually eaten cold out of the fridge, with good Hunky SEEDLESS rye bread. Oh, the memories!

Wow...is there a drooling emoticon? Sounds awesome.

Paprika bacon sounds loovely... I gotta try some stuff in this forum.

Wish i wasn't poor! But money should be no factor for good food.

An update

The Canadian bacon sliced. Prepping the other portion for the paprika. Will take some pix of that too!

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr72/esalink/100_8173.jpg

The Paprika Bacon <Abalt Szalonna>

OK here's the loin fresh out of the pot and drained. Still quite warm-

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr72/esalink/100_8174.jpg

The paprika applied, along with a touch of Kosher. Nice HEAVY coat.

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr72/esalink/100_8175.jpg

And wrapped up tight for seasoning, placed in a towel for heat retention. Now, with belly or jowl, typically you just let it sit and cool. But I decided to wrap to allow any juice to re-absorb into the loin, as it does not have the collegen/fat content of the other cuts.

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr72/esalink/100_8176.jpg

Will report on flavor soon!

Report, hell. Send some of that to me and *I'LL* test it! :D

Those both look delicious, by the way. I love good Canadian Bacon.

Report, hell. Send some of that to me and *I'LL* test it! :D

Those both look delicious, by the way. I love good Canadian Bacon.

I'll send a few slices of each to ya. Din't keep yer name/addy tho- my treat!