APC Forum

Soo a recipe/cookin' thread?

Richtee

With gas costs being what they are, you should fly. I have no doubt one of us would be willing to pick you up at the airport and take you back at the end.

Especially if you bribe with ribs. :D

M

Yep... but 5 days off is tough... had too many <unintentional> already! Sigh. When is it? just for grins...

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Richtee

• TheSidewinder

• qwezxc12

• Mumbles

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rich: There are probably others coming to PGI from somewhere in your area. MANY pyros hitched a ride to Gilette, splitting the gas and driving saves a lot of money, and you get to talk pyro the whole way! If you're interested, post a message on the PML and PGI lists, never to early to stitch up your plans.

Flying is also an option, no idea what your airport prices are like these days. Up here, flying is simply not an option - every flight goes through that godawful twin cities airport, which always seems to add about $300 to the cost of flying.

http://www.pgi.org/sites.aspx

August 8th - 14th, 2009

And....

Umm.. unintentional what?

Days off. Work has been slow...

Oh, duh..... now I see what ya meant.

And tentacles.... would you rather fly through Detroit, the armpit of the Midwest? :P

I suggest flying into madison. It will add $100 to your trip, and you'll probably have to go through the twin cities anyway, but there is a brew pub (with mighty good beer might I add) less than 30 feet from the gate. You can go from passenger to pilot in less than 30 min. :)

Cooking and recipe, hmmm. I got a grilled cheese thats is awesome. A couple really.

Regular grilled cheese with Cajun seasoning with a hint of Cayenne and some Colby Jack cheese. So good.

Then Regular grilled cheese with Pepper jack. Its good first one is better though.

Cooking and recipe, hmmm. I got a grilled cheese thats is awesome. A couple really.

Regular grilled cheese with Cajun seasoning with a hint of Cayenne and some Colby Jack cheese. So good.

Then Regular grilled cheese with Pepper jack. Its good first one is better though.

What no bacon? :{) Mmm bacon!

I've never really put meat in my cheese. I think chicken would be good though. Like a quesadia or however you spell it.

I've never really put meat in my cheese. I think chicken would be good though. Like a quesadia or however you spell it.

Anything is good. But fried up bacon adds a nice crunch, and the flavor really melds well with most cheeses, especially the sharp cheddars, and the Jacks. Jalipeno Jack and bacon is OUTSTANDING. Be sure to butter the bread before grilling!

Be sure to butter the bread before grilling!

Of course. Butter is a must.

Collaborated on a nice dinner the other night, and thought I'd share:

Take 3lbs. of fresh water mussels, rinse and steam in:

2 bottles of Anchor Steam beer

1 large bulb of Fennel, chopped coarsely

3 Shallots, minced

1 Med. sized Leek, green leaves trimmed

~1 cup Shitaki mushrooms, chopped

1/2 cup corn

season with 1 Tbsp Cayenne Pepper, generous grind of Black Pepper, pinch of Sage or Bell's Seasoning.

Steam for 8-10 minutes

Top with 1/2 cup fresh Italian or Curly Leaf Parsley and 1/2 cup Thai or Cinnamon Basil, finely minced.

We ate it with a loaf of Rosemary bread and olive oil and washed it down with various presentations of alcohol (Hers - Bourbon Sour w/Maker's Mark, mine - Tequila screwdriver w/El Tesoro and a splash of Cointreau)

Yum!

post-747-1223584043_thumb.jpg

Edited by qwezxc12

Collaborated on a nice dinner the other night, and thought I'd share:

VERY nice! I love me some mussles!

Everything about that sounds amazing.

My uncle just gave me some fresh red, green, and yellow peppers. I think some chili is in order. Probably also a few very large sandwiches.

Anyone have any recipes for sausage and /or garlic sausage using wild game? Hopefully if I bag some this fall I'd like to try and make some sausage. Possibilities are elk,deer and I have eaten some goose sausage that was very tasty...

Sorry of the late reply....

Some basics... for most wild large game, you'll want to use up to 40% pork butt/shoulder in the mix. Game tends to be lean, and typically you remove the "fat" <tallow> as well. In my deer venison sausage I use 30%.

I also cure any sausage intended to smoke. Safer that way. Also all wild game SHOULD be froze for a couple weeks before using. Not that I always do that, especially if I got the deer. But for bear, moose, and other more "wild" game I'd follow that recommendation.

Have you made sausage before? What type of press do you have? Ever smoked it or just fresh?

If you've ever had leftover pot roast a good why to use it is make a Taco thing out of it.

You get a skillet or frying pan and use a little butter and place a Flour Tortilla on it.

Get a bowl and put your pot roast in it (all the goodies you like) and nuke it.

Flip the tortilla over and put your pot roast on it.

Get some Pepper Jack cheese and melt it on top while putting some onion salt and garlic powder and Cajun seasoning.

Then put some Pace taco sauce on it. (I used Pace and thats all I've tried.)

Its really really good and kinda messy so wear clothes you don't really care for.

So FrankRizzo and I went together on buying 50lbs of frozen chopped new mexican green chiles. Hot damn, they are GOOD. Here's the recipe I used:

Recipe:

1 block (5lb) diced roasted big jim chiles (medium, Hatch new mexico)

3 small cooking onions

1 small tomato

4 cans swanson chicken broth

1 head garlic (I toss this and the celery in the mini food processor)

1/4tsp cumin

1/2tsp black pepper, fresh ground

1 1/4 cup flour + water (if adding to warm chile)

3-4 lbs pork loin (butt would be better) dust with onion powder and salt

after cubed

3 sticks whole celery, chopped (I actually ran the greens and half of the chunks in the food processor - either way it will break up in the stew)

1/2 tsp real smoke flavoring (Rich: or smoke the butt)

Fry the garlic (chopped) in stick of margarine/butter, add loin, brown with chopped onions. and put with other ingredients in huge slow

cooker. A 4qt might be too small, mine's over 2/3 full and it's a 7qt. Run on high till it's boiling, then run on low for 12 hours. I started eating mine before it was even to the boil! You could get away with turning it off once it's boiled for half an hour, but there will still be bits of chile (soft) in there that haven't released their full potential.

quart. Going to add more butter and garlic, though.

This stuff is great with 1/2C shredded mozza added per 2 cups - the cheese also helps bring the heat down if you're sensitive (and your guts will be the first few bowls!). Use 1C mozza or 1/2C mozza and 1/2c sour cream (per 2C) and you've got a fantastic chip dip.

So FrankRizzo and I went together on buying 50lbs of frozen chopped new mexican green chiles. Hot damn, they are GOOD. Here's the recipe I used:

Recipe:

Phew! <breaking a sweat> I can see that keeping the chill outta a cool fall day! What would it be called? Pork Diablo? ;{) I like the Pork Verde stuff alot, sounds similar.

*****SNIP*****

Were they Hatch River Valley chiles?

They were from Hatch, NM, though I don't know if that is any different from the river valley. Here's where I ordered them, they have smaller sizes but the 5x5lb lots are far cheaper than the little packages.. And let's face it, this stuff is too good to make small batches, and it freezes very well.

http://www.dagiftbasket.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=1801

Frank, this chile might well be equivalent to 15's - I was at the thai place today and ordered it #6 - barely anything. So I ate one of those chiles they put in the dish, and it wasn't bad at all - not like the usual burning fire of doom. Guess eating this chile for a week straight has had an effect...

I suspected as much.

I visited Hatch, NM in '98. It sits squarely in the Hatch River Valley and bills itself as the Chile Capitol Of The World (with some justification).

Any serious chile-head should visit Hatch once in their life. It's not a big town, but for miles around it's nothing but fields of Chiles.

The town's entire economy revolves around Chiles. Oh, and one Ostrich farmer. But that's another story. ;)

Any serious chile-head should visit Hatch once in their life. It's not a big town, but for miles around it's nothing but fields of Chiles.

Speaking of on the spicy side.. my oldest is coming home from Turkey this weekend,,and for some reason she's craving pork products?! LOL! Anyway, I did some Italian hot links- finished linking them out this AM:

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr72/esalink/100_8142.jpg

Some notes from a pizza dinner a few nights back. Fall is in the air, so I went with seasonal:

Throw together a 1lb loaf of simple dough in the bread machine, let rise once, then take out, hand knead and rise a second time. Throw (or roll) into a 16" or so thin pizza crust. My basic French bread recipe is:

2/3c warm water

2c flour

1 3/4tsp yeast

1/2tsp salt

bit of olive oil

Made a basic Béchamel with garlic for pizza sauce and added:

Roasted Butternut Squash

Porcini Mushrooms

Sautéed Shallots

Feta Cheese

fresh Arugula on top

Cook at ~450deg for 10-12 min or until crust looks right.

Went down nicely with a bottle of Thierry and Guy Fat Bastard Chardonnay (un-oaked)...Yum!

'scuse the crappy pic - took it with my friend's phone...

post-747-1224717465_thumb.jpg

PIE!

Dang... wish I liked squash. Hmmm maybe zucchini? Nice pie!

Speaking of on the spicy side.. my oldest is coming home from Turkey this weekend,,and for some reason she's craving pork products?! LOL! Anyway, I did some Italian hot links- finished linking them out this AM:

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr72/esalink/100_8142.jpg

And the balance... STILL awaiting guest...this as published on a smoking/cooking site I frequent:

OK some basic Q-View- Babys on the WSM. BUT, it also shows my multi-rack mod to the WSM. The crossing wires support a grill in between...shown in the second pict. And of course, the top rack <not pictured> goes in over both the lowers. Wheee...pecan/apple Oh MY!

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr72/esalink/1024081429.jpg

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr72/esalink/1024081430.jpg

Some of the breasts, boned and precooked. These were the lemon-pepper ones. Also did a pan of Dijon

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr72/esalink/100_8144.jpg

Texas-Hunter's Smitty's hot links- Smitty's not here yet... but everyone else loved them!

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr72/esalink/100_8146.jpg

Only clean shirt I could find...Hmmm- prepping ribs for the last stage.

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr72/esalink/100_8148.jpg

Grilled up Italian spicy links, about to be baked to firmness

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr72/esalink/100_8149.jpg

Izot! The Lemon-pepper after adding the reduced and thickened marinade back to the grill browned chicken

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr72/esalink/100_8150.jpg

Awaiting the SECOND round of guests... Smitty and family, and others for a bit of cocktails, food and Redwings tonight!