APC Forum

Soo a recipe/cookin' thread?

Richtee

If it would be agreeable... To those with smokers I have many recipes/methods, and also plenty of "regular" great dishes. I tend to being a BBQ freak, but I also cure meats, make sausage, and soups/stews...about anything but bake. Could use some help there fo'sho'!

Anyone with a smoker? I'll post my personal rub and take ya thru a damn good pulled pork if there's interest.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Richtee

• TheSidewinder

• qwezxc12

• Mumbles

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well if your the meat guy, then I'm the baking person! :D . I would sure like to get a recipe for some ribs. And maybe I could put up a Polish apple pie :D .

I love to grill anything for pork chop to steak to chicken. I can fry fish like no other and my baking skills are pretty good. I can bake my own birthday cake.

mormanman: I'd pit my fish fryin' skills against yours any day ;P I've put a few fish in the greasy pit of death myself. What sort of breading do you use, if any? My MIL makes a nice fried walleye with no breading, just pan fried in butter. I like 'em deep fried with some louisiana brand breading. Nice flavor from that stuff. It really ruins your grease though, hard to make crispy fries after frying fish even just once. (And my fryer holds 4 quarts of oil!)

There's nothing like a fresh baked loaf of bread, too. Somewhere I've got a recipe for a nice Swiss braided loaf bread.

Those Jiffy brand cake mix boxes (the little blue ones) make damn good cookies, get the devil's food cake ones, and there are directions for making cookies that are narcotic.

If anyone likes Thai, I'll post my Thom Ka Gai soup recipe...it took me a long time to reconstruct it from some of the best soup I ever had in both Hong Kong and Joshua Tree, CA (if you can believe it) - I flew home one trip from CA with two Nalgene bottles filled with soup in order to figure the recipe out.

I also make a mean Malaysian Beef/Chicken Satay, based on Mark Bittman's "Best Recipes of the World" cookbook.

mormanman: I'd pit my fish fryin' skills against yours any day ;P I've put a few fish in the greasy pit of death myself. What sort of breading do you use, if any? My MIL makes a nice fried walleye with no breading, just pan fried in butter. I like 'em deep fried with some louisiana brand breading. Nice flavor from that stuff. It really ruins your grease though, hard to make crispy fries after frying fish even just once. (And my fryer holds 4 quarts of oil!)

There's nothing like a fresh baked loaf of bread, too. Somewhere I've got a recipe for a nice Swiss braided loaf bread.

Those Jiffy brand cake mix boxes (the little blue ones) make damn good cookies, get the devil's food cake ones, and there are directions for making cookies that are narcotic.

I use simple corn meal. I put a handful of corn meal in a bag with the fish shake it and fry it. My fryer also holds 4 quarts of oil. Its nice. I've only fried fish once but its was mighty fine tasting. I need to go fishing again.

My Pot Roast:

4 to 4-1/2 lbs of good beef suitable for pot roasting. Chuck Arm, Shoulder, or even a Rump Roast will work.

6-8 medium Red potatoes.

1 to 1-1/2 lbs of Carrots.

1 Package (12 oz) of fresh small Mushrooms.

1 large bunch of Green Onions, cut into 1/2" pieces. Cut off the roots carefully beforehand, and use only the white part of the stalk.

Flour.

1/4 cup of GOOD Olive Oil.

Fresh Basil if you can get it, but Dried will suffice. A large handful of fresh, or a good palmful of crushed dried leaves.

Fresh ground Black Pepper, or Cracked Pepper.

Sea Salt.

One large piece of Hickory. (This will be needed later, to beat away the freeloading neighbors that invariably show up to beg for some of your masterpiece.)

A LARGE frying pan. 14" diameter and 2" deep if you can get it. Must have a good cover.

Dredge the beef in flour. (Don't just roll it, dredge it well.) Heat the Olive Oil til it's almost smoking hot. Add the Basil, and carefully put the dredged beef in. Sear it completely, making sure to get the sides.

Add 2 cups of Water, the green onions, and a good measure of the Black Pepper. Cover and reduce heat until it's BARELY simmering. And I do mean BARELY.

Simmer for two full hours. Add more water if neessary, but it shouldn't be.

Add potatoes and carrots, raise heat until it's boiling well, then reduce heat again until it's simmering gently, and cover again. Simmer for one hour.

Add the mushrooms, re-cover and simmer for another half-hour. Remove from heat, add a good measure of the Sea Salt, and let sit a few minutes.

Serve and enjoy!

My Pot Roast:

One large piece of Hickory. (This will be needed later, to beat away the freeloading neighbors that invariably show up to beg for some of your masterpiece.)

LOL that's a great pot roast recipe there!...OK... I'll give up the rub... Pulled pork to follow. But it has to be smoked. You COULD oven it, but it won't be the same.

All ingredients in "parts" whether a tablespoon or a cup.

2 Paprika Szeged Hungarian is the best

2 Kosher

1.5 B. sugar

1 onion powder

1 garlic powder

1 C. B. P.

1 dry mustard

1 coriander

1 cumin

1/2 red ground

1/2 celery powder

mix well, and grind fine in a coffee grinder or food processor

Works well with pork and beef. For chicken, add some rosemary, drop the garlic.

I like the recipe of the

75 KNO3

15 Charcoal

10 Sulphur

Ground to a plup LOL

No, really a good meal is some grilled bratwurst with some Guacamole and some beans. So good.

Then another is some baked brisket then smoking it with while dressed in BBQ sauce. Flavored with some garlic and peppers. Not to much garlic though. Flavoring it while baking.

I like it. Never made it but sounds good.

How do you guys grill with Charcoal, Wood, or Propane/Natural Gas?

I'm on my way to make cheesecake, I just grilled 1.5kgs of steak.. Mhhh, was that good.

I'll post my recipie for the cheesecake as soon as i'm finished.

Anyone have any recipes for sausage and /or garlic sausage using wild game? Hopefully if I bag some this fall I'd like to try and make some sausage. Possibilities are elk,deer and I have eaten some goose sausage that was very tasty...

LOL that's a great pot roast recipe there!...OK... I'll give up the rub... Pulled pork to follow. But it has to be smoked. You COULD oven it, but it won't be the same.

All ingredients in "parts" whether a tablespoon or a cup.

*****SNIP*****

Now THAT sounds like a great Rub.

And glad you like my recipe!

You can substitute Ash for the Hickory, if you prefer a lighter weight cudgel. :D

If anyone likes Thai, I'll post my Thom Ka Gai soup recipe...

Yes please! I'll trade ya my KraChai catfish recipe!

I know some killer Indian/Thai soups too if anyone's interested....

Post the Indian now. I love Indian food so much. I am the king of that stuff on my street. I eat more with more spice but its so good.

Here is the recipe for my pot roast:

KNO3 - 60

Sugar - 40

Fe2O3 - 1

Its the only thing I cook that really has a recipe that I can remeber. I really dont roast it but its cooked in a pot :D Taste is kinda bitter sweet.

Yes please! I'll trade ya my KraChai catfish recipe!

I know some killer Indian/Thai soups too if anyone's interested....

So, properly chastised by Sidewinder, here it is:

The *One* Tom Kha Gai as interpreted by me

Soup - Serves 8-12

Stock:

4 c Water

2 tsp Chicken or Shrimp Bouillon (cubes or granulated or 2 c real stock)

2 Stalks Lemongrass, chopped

5 or 6 Kaffir Lime Leaves, bruised

20 slices fresh or frozen Galangal

2 med-lg Garlic Cloves, minced

4 tsp Shrimp Paste

Szechuan Oil1

1/4 c Fish Sauce

6 TBs Tamarind Sauce2

1/4 c squeezed Lime Juice

1/2+ tsp crushed Red Thai Chiles

1/4 c Brown Sugar

2 cans Coconut Milk

2 Scallions, sliced

2 c Straw Mushrooms

2 Chicken Breasts, sliced and pounded thin

Fresh Cilantro, minced

To make stock, use a smaller pot to simmer the Water, Bouillon, Lemongrass, Lime Leaves & Galangal for about 30 min.

When the stock is almost done, get a larger pot (large enough to hold the volume of the finished soup) and sauté the Garlic & Shrimp Paste with a generous amount of Szechuan Oil. When the Garlic is dark and crisp (not burned), strain the stock into the pot and discard the Lemongrass, Lime Leaves & Galangal pieces.

Add the Fish Sauce, Tamarind, Lime Juice, Chiles & Sugar. Stir and simmer for 5minutes. Add Coconut Milk, Scallions & Mushrooms and simmer until flavors mingle, ~10 minutes, then add Chicken. Since the chicken needs very little time to cook, chop the Cilantro (but do not add) and check that the soup is done. Swirl in a lot of extra Szechuan Oil, serve and garnish with Cilantro.

Note: When Lemongrass and Galangal are chopped and stored in the freezer, use a generous 3/4 c Lemongrass and a heaping 1/4 c of Galangal to equal the correct proportions.

1For the hardcore - I make my own Szechuan Oil using Virgin first press Olive Oil, Minced Garlic, Dried Thai and Japanese chilies, Annatto seed (for color), and Habanero Chilies (for extra kick)

2Also for the hardcore - Tamarind Sauce can be made with Tamarind Pasts and water. Cook approximately 1C of the paste to 2C water in a heavy pot over low heat. Add the water in increments allowing the paste to heat up and soften. Mash with a heavy spoon to break up the paste and separate the seeds and pulp. When the Tamarind mixture is more or less homogenous, push through a coarse kitched strainer to remove seeds / pulp. The resulting Tamarind sauce will keep refrigerated for many weeks.

Enjoy!

Wow. OK... I gotta sack up and chase all this dowm, cause I love that stuff..WFf is a 'lime leaf"?

Exactly what you think it is - a leaf from a lime tree.. The kaffir lime leaf is a prime seasoning ingredient in Thai cooking.. Find a *good* asian market, they should have them, fresh is best of course.

The *One* Tom Kha Gai as interpreted by me

Soup - Serves 8-12

*****SNIP****

Hey, I wasn't chastizing anyone, let alone you. :)

I just wanted to see some good food recipies.

And damnation, that sounds like a delicious soup!

Wow. OK... I gotta sack up and chase all this dowm, cause I love that stuff..WFf is a 'lime leaf"?

Yeah, just like tentacles said, they're leaves from a lime tree. They give more of the oil/flavor and not the sourness of the juice...a comparison would be like difference in orange peel in marmalade vs. the orange itself. When I said to bruise them, just crush or roll the back of a spoon on them a bit to release the flavor.

Definately scope out an asian grocery...my favorite one has wayyy better cilantro, garlic, sprouts, and other stuff than a regular grocery store, plus it's much cheaper: $.99 a can for coconut milk vs. $2.89 at Price Chopper / P&C, etc.

They even have live Tilapia (in the tank)!...and will fillet them up in a jiffy.

They're cute and make great fish tacos!! :lol:

Yeah, just like tentacles said, they're leaves from a lime tree. They give more of the oil/flavor and not the sourness of the juice...a comparison would be like difference in orange peel in marmalade vs. the orange itself. When I said to bruise them, just crush or roll the back of a spoon on them a bit to release the flavor.

Doh... I kind of assumed that... but ya never know with the Asian culinary idiosyncrasies LOL! I am not real faliliar with that genre' of food. Thank you for the recipe!

Swany's Bananas' Foster/Bananas' Flambe

A loose interpetation:

~2 tsp butter (salted)

Enough (1-2 C?) brown sugar (light, although dark works fine)

Half-and-half or cream, basically anythingy dairy with a higher fat content than whole milk (even molten ice cream works)

Cinnamon (fresh is best)

Nutmeg (whole cloves, grind them)

Rum, darker = better.

Any other liqueur

Vanilla (bean?)

Ice Cream

Bananas

In a medium sauce-pan, melt some butter on medium heat. Not too much butter, enough to barely cover the bottom perhaps a little more. Cover the lot in a pile of brown sugar so theres not quite enough butter to get all of the sugar wet, let it heat a bit till it starts to get a bit melty, then add enough cream or whatever under heavy stirring to dissolve it all. Add nutmeg and cinnamon to taste (lots is better!) and simmer under medium heat for a bit, maybe add some alcohol if youre bored, if your really bored lightly saute the bananas in some alcohol, butter and spices. Periodically poke it with a spoon and let cool, and taste that sample. If crystalline cook longer. When smooth, taste the alcohol. Declare it tasty. Pour enough in to alarm your parents. Pick up the pan and light it on fire, shake it around to keep the fire impressive and when its all out pour it over ice cream and bananas. Enjoy, as if you are a lord.

Seriously though, thats pretty darn good. ^^

God, that sounds delicious. I've had real, restaurant tableside-made, Bananas Foster a grand total of once in my life and it was incredible.

Thanks, Swany.

• 2 weeks later...

OK... the pulled pork

First off you need to pick up a pork butt... or "Boston butt". Dunno why they call it that..it's from the front shoulder area. Anyway...

Look back thru this thread and find Rich's Rub. <Shameless self-promotion there> and have about a cup of that on hand.

Don't freak out about the fat cap on the butt... trim to .25" if needed- score it in a cross hatch pattern about 1" in size down to the meat below.

Rub yer butt with good ole yellow mustard. And don't whine cause ya don't like mustard...you WILL NOT taste it after the cook. It's there to help rub adhesion and contribute to "barq"..the dark crunchy stuff on the outside.

Shake on rub. YES SHAKE... Rub is a misnomer. Get a nice thick coat all over it.

Wrap in Saran wrap tight and into the fridge for a good 12 hours... if ya got the time. It DOES help.

OK now I'm gonna assume you don't have a smoker, but a charcoal grill. Build a small charcoal <lump is best> fire on one side of the grill. We're talking like 6-8 hunks of lump here. You want to keep temps below 250° inside. Helps if you have a digital meat thermo..cheap...buy one.

Get lump glowing, and place butt on other side of grill. Add SMALL amounts of wood chips during the process. And yer looking at 8 hours at least here folks..

THe smoke you see should nearly ALWAYS be "thin and blue". The white rolling crap will just tar and creosote yer meat...BAaaaad! It only takes a few chips to keep the smoke you need...and remember.."If you smell smoke..yer smoking" 99% of fuk-ups made while trying to smoke is too much wood!

Now...a mop sauce. A mop is a thin sauce mopped..or brushed GENTLY..onto the meat so as not to wipe off the rub coating. Mopping should commence only afte the rub has "set" on the meat.

My typical mop:

.5 cup cider vinegar

.5 cup water

.25 cup bourbon

2 Tbsp brown sugar

1 Tbsp onion powder

1 Tbsp cracked black pepper

Simmer all but bourbon a few min. to meld flavors..cool and add bourbon

Get a brush/mop and do the meat about every 45 or so

Watch the grate temps.. keep adding prelit coals to keep as close to 225-250 as ya can...and wood maybe every hour or so...

For pulling, you want to go to about 200° internal meat temp. BUT..if ya bought a bone in butt... it's easy. When ya can grab that sucker, and it SLIDES out..yer done!

There's a bit more to it..but that's the basics... questions encouraged, and I'll be adding tweaks/additionals soon...

Edited by Richtee