APC Forum

Other Hobbies/Things you like to do

PyroJoe

Wow.... luckly I've never came close to skating a vert ramp. The park I go to only has a few boxes and rails. Pretty basic stuff.

I haven't seriously injured myself YET. I did roll my ankle once when I landed a boardslide funny. I couldn't walk right for a few weeks.

There are parks further away with vert ramps though. Lets just say when I get a car I'll probably drive to them so I can hurt myself. :)

I forgot to mention that I am also into RC planes. I have an electric and a nitro fueled trainer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• _DB_

• Richtee

• PyroJoe

• optimus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Telescopes

NX11inGPSXLT

DenkII

Televue 40mm

Axiom 15mm

various Meade 4000 seires

Here in Iraq, every 3 days the DOD blows up about 10,000 of explosives,, it rocks this place!!!

• 1 month later...

Playing loud, rude and twisted heavy metal guitar. Metallica, Ozzie, Rush, Van Halen. I love it all.

Guns. Especialy big ones. My faves a Ruger #1 45/70. Shoots a 375 grain slug at 2000 ft. per second. (BOOM).

History and politics especialy since finding out that all the shit we learned in school was crap and we are only now learning the truth about most modern history.

Skiing, sailing, scuba, fast cars, exotic dancers and all the other fun things that make living an exciting kick in the ass.

Uhm... well I write poetry

Play guitar

Make music of various electronic genre's

snowboard

surf (when I go on vacation to such places)

build computers (just put one in my truck)

perform random completely useless chemical reactions just to watch them take place.

Various pyro (given)

mountainbiking

rockclimbing

attempt to write fictional stories (have yet to finish one)

and sing punk/emo/other rock forms.

building 6 second cars

building engines

Gas R/C cars

Guns

Modifying Electronics

Xbox 360

Go to CPL during winter (CAL Pro league, for counter-strike, only 2000 people out of the millions of people playing get accepted to this, so yes im very good ^_^)

Besides being a pyro I also like hunting (even though I'm not good at it!), shoting guns and bows, camping, spud guns (which is still kind of pyro! :P ), electronics, and I do a little bit of gardening. I'm pretty much tied up in school to be doing much else.

pyro(obviously)

girls

hunting

guns

chemistry

physics

camping

hiking

exploring

four wheelers

dirt bikes

TV

Xbox 360

Quite a list for just the things off of the top of my head.

• 4 weeks later...

my hobbies include:

hiking

fishing(just cause it is convienient)

spudgunning

shooting :D

model rocketry(just barrly)

biulding things :D

and various scientific ventures

I haven't had much time lately do to school so I haven't done anything lately exsept pyro and building things. I shouldn't of skipped the rest of highschool for college, I would be able to do so much more....

• 1 year later...

Thought this could use a bump, good old thread.

My hobbies aside from pyro and chem include...

Brewing

(Mostly hard cider (VERY GOOD)... Some wines and meads... Need to get around to brewing up and ale kit thats gathering dust...)

Researching

(I seem to do it randomly... I'll get on the computer to waste a bit of time... and end up researching something... recently things more related with electronics since my understanding of simple circuits is pathetic and knowing more would benefit what I can do in other hobbies. IE I have no concept of what a capacitor will do to a simple circuit.)

DIY Projects

(I'm trying to prepare something, or somethings for Maker Faire in October... I have a good amount of ideas... Some easier than others... Some projects I have messed with... Giant solar balloons via black trash bags taped together... Computer related stuff like a USB drive loaded with portable applications... Heavy duty metal melting furnace good to 3000F... Unfourtunatly I ran out of refractory cement before I could cast a lid for it :[... I guess alot of the DIY projects I have done are pyro and chem related... like a mortar rack... or glass ware stand... Made a small speaker box and mounted speakers in it to use as external speakers for my HAM radio in my car...)

Radio scanning and HAM radio

(Yaesu FT-8900 & Uniden BC396T... Just got my technician license last month... Havn't really had time to mess around with the HAM radio much yet. When I feel I am experience in HAM radio enough I might join a local emergency responce group. Maybe a severe weather watch group.)

Gardening

(I have MANY pepper plants that are getting quite big and making waaaay more peppers than my family can actually use up. I also like weird plants... Like Stevia sweetleaf which has a compound in its leaves that is 40-300x sweeter than sugar by mass with no carbs and it doesn't contribute to plaque... I also have a hop bine, its doin ok...)

Guitar

(I prefer acoustic... I used to play fretless bass guitar too... but its pretty much just sitting around gathering dust... I seriously need to dedicate a couple hours to finding a place or person to buy it for a reasonable price along with an amp and cab that area quite heavy and go with it...)

... Some I do very often... Some I'm nearly able to do... Some I can do, but rarely get around to...

My hobbies are:

- Playing Musical Instruments in particular Trumpet. Basically any other brass instrument.

- Basic Electronics

- Hanging with friends

- Science

- Playing sport: Volleyball, Rugby and Rowing.

- Yeah, I am with you guys. I also do random research.

- Random gaming

Basically it.

I notice a lot of people here have similar hobbies like brewing and electronics and guns.

I might start brewing later.

Cooking/smoking/curing meats, and general culinary arts stuff.

Used to build alot of audio related gear, mostly pro stuff- 12X6X4 mixing board still in use at a bud's place, 250W/Ch. MOSFET amp. etc.

Also, a rock-hound from waaay back.

Good thread!

Machine tools and metalwork. The cool thing about machine tools is that they are the basis for almost everything. If you can't make it on a machine tool, you can make the tool that can make it... if that makes any sense! ^_^

From my machine tools, I make engines. Steam engines, piston engines, jets and turbines. Here is a miniature 9 cylinder radial engine, one of my favorite pics that I ever took in my shop:

http://www.5bears.com/radpics/runin03.jpg

My last engine was a miniature turboprop, functions similar to a Pratt & Whitney PT-6. The "jet engine" portion is at the rear; the exhaust is coupled to another turbine, which in turn is geared down to the propellor RPM. The gas turbine core turns 160,000 RPM, while the carbon fibre prop ultimately does 8,000 or so.

http://www.5bears.com/proppics/fwprun03.jpg

I think everyone needs some sort of creative outlet to be truly happy. It can be objects of beauty, art, music, and yes fireworks. Every human soul craves to be creative in some way. :D

Edited by Swede

Damn Swede, that radial is a work of art! I was also thinking the turboprop would would be pretty sweet mounted on the back of my Camry.

My other passions:

- Gardening

- Fishing ( Got a couple of Chinook last night and a Laker. Laker's getting tossed on the smoker today)

- Shooting ( My office has a 12 lane shooting range in the basement. How convenient.)

- Puttering with my 1949 Ford Woody Custom Deluxe (Yes kiddies, Charlie has a 16 foot Woody <insert juvenile giggle here>)

- All sorts of cooking. Currently curing 10 lbs of pork belly for bacon and pancetta, got some breasola hanging in the basement right now, and prepping some pork butt for making kielbasa this weekend. I leave the ribs to Richtee; I refuse to take on a ninja master. In the words of Dirty Harry Callahan... "A man's got to know his limitations"

Here's 5 lbs of pancetta getting ready to hang for a month in Charlie's cave

post-3137-1217689646_thumb.jpg

Edited by OneEyeCharlie

My hobbies...(seem pretty standard for people here):

- Airsoft (nightsoft is especially fun)

- Guitar (I fail at music for the most part...but I'm getting better)

- Wimpy versions of baseball including woofle ball and "tennis-ball" (I haven't even made my way up to soft ball yet).

- "Semi-classic" video games, in the range of the original NES Mario to Goldeneye 64 with some Doom era FPS mixed in (including Dark Forces and Duke Nukem).

- Random stuff related to Physics...(Like Electron Microscope research or playing with lasers)

- Though I know very little about Astronomy, I recently have enjoyed pointing a telescope towards the sky. Jupiter is cool to look at.

- Eating good food (meaning almost any kind of decent meat, Italian food, or otherwise something with an insane amount of sugar especially ice cream).

- Randomly modifiying or building things.

Edited by flying fish

I have quite, a few hobbies...

paintballing

airsoft

model rocketry

model airplanes

rc cars

dirtbiking

biking

shooting (i have a 20 guage shotgun and .22 longrifle and a few pellet guns)

snowboarding

ice skating

wake boarding

TV

girls

music

chemistry

computer (web design, programming, gaming)

Edited by Xtreme Pyro

Cars

Movies

Engines

Metal and wood working

Cooking

Deep Frying (its so good when you make it yourself) Tell me if you want a corn dog comp.

As like everyone, listening to music

Photograph

Trying to get girls LOL

I use to skateboard

Camping

Backpacking when I can

Video games like saints row

Thats it

I leave the ribs to Richtee; I refuse to take on a ninja master. In the words of Dirty Harry Callahan... "A man's got to know his limitations"

Here's 5 lbs of pancetta getting ready to hang for a month in Charlie's cave

post-3137-1217689646_thumb.jpg

LOL... Dunno about the Ninja thing... I can plainly be seen making the ribs, and I ain't real silent in the process either! Especially peeling membranes! Man,,, nice looking pancetta! Got a gallery anywhere of projects? I wanna do a procuitto this fall. And another capocola. My first attempte last year on that was not bad, but had room for improvment. And NOTHING beats home made bacon!

From my machine tools, I make engines. Steam engines, piston engines, jets and turbines. Here is a miniature 9 cylinder radial engine, one of my favorite pics that I ever took in my shop:

http://www.5bears.com/radpics/runin03.jpg

Wow! That, sir..is COOL! Any idea the BHP of that work of art? What's it's displacement? Injected, I'd think...a "throttle body" type system?

Basic specifications of the radial: 9 cylinders, air cooled, spark ignition. Bore 1.000", stroke 1.125". Dia 11.25". 7.95 CI displacement, 6.7 to 1 compression ratio. 2-row 4-lobed cam, rotation 1/8 contra to crankshaft. Full pressure oil system, dry sump (scavenge pump).

It uses a modified model engine (R/C) carburetor. The fuel/air mix enters the rear crankcase and is distributed by a simple crankshaft mounted impellor. I don't know what the HP is. I've had a lot of guys ask me "When are you going to fly it?" The answer is "never!" Too much work to be put at risk. Some kid could accidentally shoot it down when he turns on his Radio Shack R/C dune buggy a few blocks away. It's plenty of fun as a bench-running display.

Thanks for the kind comments! ^_^

http://www.5bears.com/radpics/fnl02.jpg

Pyrotechnics

Organic chemistry

Flying(not RC,but for real:D)

girls flirting( but it's always unsuccesfull)

MSN

cooking

Learning english on APC :lol:

Learning english on APC :lol:

Well, by golly kudos! It's not an easy language. Wish more people here in the US spoke it ;{)