• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• asilentbob

• Rogue Chemist

• Swany

• Rooster

Here is the picture of the denat. alch. after sitting, and stirring for 2 days in the partially crushed and dried habenaro powder. Pretty red color...

EDIT: Notice the smudged graduation markers and the large crack on the backside of this beaker. Lasted longer than any crap-o Bomex stuff should've. Takes plenty of abuse...

post-6-1145766578_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture after evaporating most of it, this is in a 150ml beaker, and you will notice 2 layers, the bottom being the final extract which is seperating from the alch. layer on top. It looks like semi-colagulated blood, and behaves similar. When warm, it is quite liquidy-not unlike butter- only it is somewhat thicker when liquid and solid. Yeild was roughly 2-3mls, I would guess. I imagine I extracted about 60-80% of it.

EDIT: I will get a good picture of the final stuff, and you should also note that if you injested all of it, I can nearly assure you a painful death. Arguably the most dangerous thing I have in my lab. I would rather drink nitroglycerin.

post-6-1145766786_thumb.jpg

Got my red savina habanero seeds yesterday. Planted some too. Will be cool to play around with when the plant is done... Also got some other peppers, so I might try extractions of the different types.

Hey Rooster where did you get your seeds from? I am still waiting for mine from "the Great Chilli Farm"...

Yep, the same place. It took around 2-3 weeks to get them. Planted them now, kinda excited, hoping too see something happen in a few days...

I've got a bit of a 'green thumb' it seems to run in my family, so hopefully I can grow these well up here in Canada. I once grew a kiwi plant from seed till it was 2m tall, then it died...

I also got the type of pepper that is supposedly good for oil extraction and I think it was a 10 or a 9 as well, but I forget the name. What other ones are you getting?

When I get these grown I'm going to make some awesome chilli :P

I got these:

- Zimbabwe Birds eye - Small orange chilis that grow upwards(like small devils horns!)

- Red Savina Habanero - awesomely hot

- Passion Cayenne - 20 cm long, red hot peppers

- Thai Dragon - For cooking thai dishes

Started growing the zimbabwe birds eye indoors. Does anyone have tips on growing chilis or plants indoors?

• 2 weeks later...

Oooh! My Zimbabwe Birds Eye chili plant is germinating! I got some Red Savina Habaneros on the way too. Doing some experiments this summer, with my own chili. Look at the beauty - 2 weeks after planting:

http://freepgs.com/rooster/Zimbabwe%20birds%20eye%20-%202%20weeks.JPG

I picked up a thai dragon, cayenne and super chilli plants locally yesterday. Just as little seedlings.

Just recieved my seeds a few days ago for red savina and hotazel, they were planted yesterday.

I am going to talk to the chem department at my uni, I want to try to get some giberrellic acid, it suposedly really improves germination percentage, and later on, plant growth.

How many red savina seeds did you plant rooseter? I planted 6 in case some do not germinate.

Also, my cayene already had an aphid problem, I killed each one with pliers and then used a pesticide.

EDIT: Attached pic, from left to right cayenne, thai dragon, super chilli

post-6-1147035366_thumb.jpg

I got some dried "Thai something" peppers yesterday at the local supermarket, they said they were out of hobeneros due to them being quite popular... hmm... anyways... mine average about 2-1/2 inches long dark red bodies with green stems... seeing them now im thinking of making some good queso...

I'll save some to cut up and soak/reflux in EtOH whenever i get some... i have denatured, but i would like for it to be consumable...

Soxhlet extractor - wikipedia This would make extractions very fast.

It would still be consumable if you used denatured. The methanol will evaporate off with the ethanol.

There is more than just methanol in denatured alcohol, expecially in the US. There are bittering agents, stuff that makes it smell, and sometimes it is dyed.

I would highly suggest against denatured alcohol if you ever intend to consume, or have anyone else consume it. The probability that there is some denatured alcohol in the stuff is extremely high.

Arn't the bittering agents usually fussel oils? such as pentanol? You're right, I still wouldn't consume after using denatured.

To fill in something, I am in the process of extracting a bit. From 1 lb of "wet", I obtained 17.5 grams of dried habeneros. I am using dent. alch. due to the fact that although toxic, it is the least toxic of the other solvents I currently have.

I believe I shall filter it in a minute and begin to steam it off (or later tonight, switching parents.)

Due to this toxicity scare, would it still be safe if just doping toothpicks. If not, could another substance be used after the main extraction to remove the solvent, or atleast dilute it?

My denat EtOH only contained methanol. It didn't have any odd smells, and the denaturant was listed as methanol, as well as the only component save ethanol. So, it depends on what else is contained in your bottle of stuff No, it wont kill them. I would be more worried about a burning sensation...

EDIT: butcher'd engrish badly

Well like I said a while ago, if you use medical grade acetone it will all evaporate. You can't use store-bought acetone though because it usually has a rust remover in it. What I think would be fairly funny is to put a couple milligrams of pure capsaicin in someones whiskey or vodka bottle.

Rooster how grows? heh

My Seeds still are not up, I am getting worried even though it has only been a week or so.

Luckily my seedlings I bought are doing awesome, even have buds on cayenne and super chilli. I will likely cut them off though, too early in the season for them.

Here they are after 3 weeks:

http://freepgs.com/rooster/Zimbabwe%20Birds%20Eye%20-%203%20weeks.JPG

Unfortunately, the one to the right is fucked up, as one of the leaves is on top how it should be on the bottom. Not chlorophyll green, but sort of grey-green you see on the back of leaves. Might be some kind of genetic mutation. Its gonna die. The other one is doing nicely, although not growing as fast as I thought it would. I'll try to put it more out in the sun. Lets see some pictures of your buds!

PS: Dont worry, the seedlings need 1-2 weeks in wet earth before popping through the surface.

I edited the title to fit the topic better. Now we are not going too far off topic too much, Rogue ^_^

Toothpicks were just for application's sake, not sadistic free toothpick giving.

Hrmm. Well, I am not going to try it!

YAY! I finally made some. I went up to the store and bought 30g of dried ground cyenne pepper. Boiled it down and Vwala!

Pretty simple for some extremely entertaining stuff. When it cools it forms a sticky red syrup with large crystals.

Heres some pics

(only the final product for now as I can only upload 1 pic from my PC. I will get them onto a host sometime. ;)

post-6-1147856667_thumb.jpg

Looks like it. On cooling, it will almost mostly be a solid, though, some is a liquid. If you put it in the fridge, I am willing to bet it will totally solidify.