APC Forum

Capsaicin(oids) Extraction, Chilli growing

Swany

Mmmmm. Mines almost all liquid at room temperature (24*C). I have it in a little abmber vial with a POISON lablel on it and I can just pour it out. It resembles a fine oil with a 'carmelized' crystals stuck to the botton (which are still in that 500ml beaker).

I can handle the toothpick thing now. The problem is that its red and easy to see..

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• asilentbob

• Rogue Chemist

• Swany

• Rooster

About the only advice I can offer to remove the color involves redissolving it. You'd have to redissolve, and then add activated carbon. Several shakings, filtering, and subsequent washing with fresh carbon would remove much if not all of the carbon. I do not know what it would do to the capsaicin

Just my opinion, but I would rather not risk my neurological system for the sake of experimenting.

I would! I would also probably risk braincells, vital fluids, my nerve response times and libs for the sake of what I like doing. Thats what many of us ARE doing (subconciously). :blink:

Correct me if im wrong but doesn't capsaicin just 'trick' the 'neurological system' ? ;)

I value my intelligence. I like to maintain the superiority over my peers that I currently posses, and I would like to stay in my advanced chemisty class (which is basic compared to what I do at home ^_^ ).

As do I. But I don't feel anything I have done has really affected my intelligence in a great way. I do not take drugs, I try to minimise the amount of organic fumes I breathe and try not to fall on my noggin' too much :P

I don't think capsaicin will have much affect on the neurological system or atleast not as much as the other things we do to our bodies.

Yes. Even though I'm taking AP chem a year early, I took an evaluation on the organic section of it, and scored 20/20. Oh dear... although, it will be good for my other stuff. I have gaps in my knowlage, as do most self-taught chemists.

Capsaicinoids simply make you a better man. I don't know how, but, thats my story.

I think I can explain your theory, after putting it on your balls a few times, you can get kicked in the balls without any pain. Is that what you were getting at?

I may have to make some capsaicin, velly interesting stuff. No real uses though.....

I never put it on my balls, not intentionally, anyhow. And, if this were roguesci, there would be plenty of uses....

I wouldnt want pure capsaicin, mostly because if it is handled in over-pressure suits in industry, chances are, I do not want to think about touching it.

Just my opinion, but I would rather not risk my neurological system for the sake of experimenting.

You drink, don't you? Eh? :D

M

Nope, but studies have been done to show Ethanol has only a temporary, clouding effect on the neurological system. Methanol on the other hand...

Last year in grade 8, the teacher was attempting to explain the difference between compounds and pure substances, while I was working out Flash Powder thermodynamics, and he noticed I wasnt paying attention, so he turned and started to yell at me, and after exchanging a few words he said something along the lines of "you are the student, I am the teacher, you learn from ME" and that triggered something, and I started laughing. He then said "Do you think you could do the chemistry unit test without learning the material first? No, so pay attention". "Yes I can". After scoring 100% AND publically pointing out numerous mistakes on the test, he never questioned my actions again.

Nice story! Made me laugh. Anyhow, most of your post belongs in the random thread. Just remember for next time, ey.

A agriculture teacher at school was giving away plants because its the end of the year and he can't take care of them all over the summer, and one of my teachers wanted help carrying some to her car so i helped and the agriculture teacher was also giving away piqine and a very mild pepper variety that i wasn't interested in like bell peppers, anyways, i got 2 small piqine plants and they are outside in my temporary bird resistant growing pen, they are pretty short, mabey 2-3" tall, so im not getting any yield in sometime, but its still exciting, on the spice scale they are somewhere above jalapenos.

I placed a tiny bit of the liquid on the tip of my syringe and eared with a lighter while drawing back the plunger to draw in any gasses / fumes that were present. I got a fume that looked like whte smoke and flowed with the surrounding air (wasn't heavier nor lighter).

Now for the fun part. I pushed some out and breathed a -minute- through my nose (probably not the wisest thing to do but anyhow ^_^ )

MAN that is some vile shit! Worse than chlorine or any acid fumes I have come across. Luckily the affects only last seconds. :P

Does anybody think this will be bad for the lungs (I know it will but I'm talking major damage)?

Someone else try it....I dare you! :ph34r:

I can only imagine what someone would think when they found you in your lab heating something in a syringe with a lighter and then breathing it in.

I don't think it is toxic from what I've read but you might not be breathing to well if the inside of your lungs swell up.

I was just thinking of trying this after a thread on a0tu: now I find a thread on APC. Coincidence? I think not. Dunno if anyone will sell me denatured though...

Draco seems to have inadvertantly purified his by sublimation, and then inhaled his results. Charming.

Capsaicinoids in your lungs will kill you about as easily as any nerve gas, as is often to what it is compared when pure. If you inhale it in any respectable amounts, chances are you would get PE and drown in your own fluids, with minimal comfort.

I was inspired by a thread at SMDB, and the a0tu man may have been inspired by this.

Just thought I would post a little update here. I left a small amount of the oil I made in my room for two weeks on a glazed ceramic dish, the colour changed from the deep red to a light yellow.

It now blends in with the pine colour of the toothpicks I have ^_^

What might be causing this? Might it be slowly decomposing in the open air? :blink:

An update:

One of my piquin peppers is dying im going to assume that the person who was originally taking care of it was careless and added too much fertillizer as there were many weird crystal reflective specs on top of the soil when i got it. I didn't expect it to live really... The other is thriving and has grown a bit, in a few more weeks ill need to make a bigger bird-proof space for it.

Exciting stuff.

You could flush the soil with a lot of water in attempt to flush the fertilizer out so the plant doesn't get nutrient burn. I saved one of my gardening experiments by doing that.

i eat habaneros fro breakfast

but im scared of this shit

i think im goin to the grocer in a sec, ill see if they sell habaneros

my dad might make chili this weekend

i wonder if i can get some extracted fast enough to put it to good use :)

~Arete

One taste and no one will want any of your chili, such a waste.

Anyways, the second one looks like its started dying too :(... I'm pissed, i think ill go visit the teacher next year when school is going on and get some more. Yeah, i have flushed the soil to an extent, i pray not too much or little though. If it looks worse tomorrow ill flush the soil a little more.

Rooster, do you have any germination percentages for the seeds you planted?

For me:

Red Savina 67% (4/6)

Hotazel 33% (2/6)

Just curious...

One red savina plant is weird, the stem grew up out the dirt 0.5cm, curved down hit the dirt, curved up and continued to grow. Not too sturdy...

Also, my Thai dragon, super chilli and cayeene are about a foot tall, but I have been having quite the difficult time with aphids. Teeny-tiny peppers are there as well ^_^ .(covered with aphids <_< )

My mom has two varieties of ornamental yet very hot peppers. These match if not exceed the scoville rating of habeneros. I dont know the eaxct names of them but one kind is called I think devils horns. They grow upright and look like purple devils horns. The other kind looks exactly like regular chili pepper except that they are purple.