APC Forum

Capsaicin(oids) Extraction, Chilli growing

Swany

Just did this extraction. Took 3 or so days. One to crush and dry, and grind up, then another to dissolve and sit and today to boil down from 500 mls denatured. Boiled it a bit too long and it started fuming white. I had a gas mask on, so it didnt bother me a bit. After I added more alch and then let sit. I scraped up all the black waxy stuff and i had a heaping tablespoon full of it. This is the capsacin Im thinking. I will prolly just redissolve in alch and then dope toothpicks. Think that will work? Im kinda scared of it, becuase after I took off the gas mask it smelled really strongly and I started coughing.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• asilentbob

• Rogue Chemist

• Swany

• Rooster

... I scraped up all the black waxy stuff and i had a heaping tablespoon full of it. This is the capsacin Im thinking. I will prolly just redissolve in alch and then dope toothpicks. Think that will work? Im kinda scared of it, becuase after I took off the gas mask it smelled really strongly and I started coughing.

Yeah, the capsaicinoids sublimed/vaporised/carbonised, and it only takes a minute amount to irritate your respritory tract, so even if you couldn't see anything...

Technically, they are capsaicinoids, and perhaps some other crud. If you want pure capsaicin, purify by sublimation and I hope you have a death wish. ;)

Yeah, make a paste with alch and then dip toothpicks in it. I just keep mine in a bottle, it's a red semi-solid depending on the temperture. In the fridge, it solidifies, but at STP it acts like a liquidish solid, perhaps 2 layers. Anything warmer and it liquifies and is fairly thick.

Well I am thinking about trying a small purification via sublimation. I know it is done in hazmat suits in industry, but when the public can buy the pure stuff online in crystalline form, how dangerous do you really think it could be? I have a full gas mas and mil spec suit as well I can use.

but when the public can buy the pure stuff online in crystalline form, how dangerous do you really think it could be? ]

I personally don't intend to find out. I think you may be suprised. It is very powerful stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
Well i have just bought a full pound of pretty spicy peppers (dried) and cut them all up and are sitting in the mix now waiting a couple days and will filter it I had enough peppers to use a full can of the denatured alchol so should i leave it in there a couple days and then ill post pics of it and you guys can tell me how much to boil it down too.

Ground>chopped.

I would just set the alch. in a large glass pan with a fan blowing on it in a sheltered area outdoors, when the liquid is about 1/2-3/4ths gone it could be removed to a beaker or a container and, with gentle heating (read water bath) evaporated with venting and when it becomes very dark (about 20-50mls left) remove from heat and let it sit in a warm place for a day or 2.

I plan on a small scale sublimation purification soonish as well.

Just attempted capsaicin purification from the extracted capsaicinoids plus impurities. In theory, the capsaicin should be solid at RT, and my extract has defined semi solid and viscous liquid layers, I was only able to take some of the liquid, about 1ml if even. This was placed into a large test tube in which was inserted a smaller tube filled with crushed ice/salted water acting as a cold finger. Cotton was wrapped around the tube such that its top was even with the larger tubes top, acting as a plug, and the bottom of the cold finger (smaller tube) was about 5-7cm above the capsaicinoids.

Heating was commenced over a heat element (stove) with ventilation running. The capsaicinoids began to bubble, and later a layer of white smoke/vapor (hopefully my capsaicin) filled the bottom half of the tube.

It retained this bubbling for a bit and then there was a sharp pop and it seemingly exploded, throwing bits of capsaicinoids all over the inside. The pop scared the living shit out of me and I tasted fear, fellows. It was instant cold fear.... after this I lost my nerves and took it off the heat. I belive I can observe a slight white film on my cold finger (in addition to water) that is belived to be the capsaicinoids.

Pictures will be added as I upload them.... It was quite spur of the moment. I am still on an adrenaline high from that pop.... goodness. That took years off of my life.

Well, a late update, but oh well...

I ended up saving one piquine from near death, and it is in a nice bird proof enclosure. It has one pepper on it that is mabey just over 1 1/2" long and green. Piquin peppers are supposed to be pretty small, so i might have gotten a different plant after all. As long as it is around jalapenos in scoile units im happy. Mabey 6-7" high. I also planted some seeds that i got out of some small dried peppers i bought at the grocery store and like 5 of 8 or so have sprouted and have a small leaf or 2 each.

I may crush up some of the red peppers i got and do an extraction... oh, and speaking of extractions, this is pretty feasible:

http://www.tecnotacho.com/projeto3.htm

I wouldn't do it quite like that, but for some of you people with decent temperature control on your hot plates it could be a good way to extract the capsaicinoids. Just set it and go do something else for a while. Almost a soxhlet (sp). B)

Edit: Well, we have one thread on an incredibly spicy chemical, should we go ahead and make one on one incredibly sweet chemical?

5-Nitro-2-propoxyaniline

4000x as sweet as sucrose.

Red Savina and Hotazel.

They look perfect, as if fake.

My thai dragon, super chilli, and cayenne are outdoors in a pot. thai dragon is 2 feet tall and the other two are 1 foot tall. All three are LADEN with capsiaciny goodness. Thai dragon is my favorite of those three, high production, big long peppers, tall, and unlike super chilli, it has its peppers hanging down, super chilli looks weird with the peppers erect.

post-6-1154323759_thumb.jpg

Damn! Your plant's leave's kick my plant's leave's ass!

And chances are I am growing these much further north than you are :P

You have any pictures of yours?

And Rooster, how are yours doing?

No, ill try to get some pictures some time this week.

Today i did very mild research on hydroponics and im thinking of making either an ebb and flow system or a drip system. Mabey both. Drip seems a little better due to what i have available currently. Possibly using as little as a plastic soda bottle of whatever size, media such as vermiculite, thin aquarium air tubing and an aquarium air pump set on a timer. Most of you could probably figure it out from there, its pretty simple. Still if i get around to it ill take pictures and make a tutorial. My only concern is that the aquarium air pump could possibly get damaged if it was a small pump and used on a big system.

And my 2nd group of peppers sprouted, i havn't got a count, id guess like 7/12 seeds planted.

Ta-da!

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/3642/p1010298dm8.th.jpg

Unfourtunatly, my recently planted pepper seeds that sprouted are withering :(, but i still have about 5 that are persevering in a different pot.

hehe...love the one big pepper ontop.

Although, you are supposed to remove buds from small plants like those before peppers grow, to ensure big plants, with more peppers later.

I noticed buds on red savina today...Yay

I havn't taken biology in forever, the flowers turn into the buds right? There is one flower almost right underneath the pepper, you can kinda see it in the pic, then i think there is another on the other side that you can't see in the pic. So, i should trim those off to ensure that they don't turn into peppers yet?

Wait, no, haha, the buds turn into flowers. But where do the peppers start? Haha, i need a bio class, i can't remember any of this. Haha.

The peppers grow out of the centre of the flower as the flower dies. Buds are the green squishy thingies that unfold into flowers.

Yeah, you might want to cut them off untill the plant is bigger, a bigger plant can support more peppers. And I *think* the presence of peppers slows plant growth, I havent read up on this stuff since I planted them.

I posted a link a while back in this thread to the growing instructions.

Many thanks! I found the link and i have read a bit now, ill have to read more later. I think ill let the plant finish with the big chili, but remove the buds/flowers now and then let it grow a good bit bigger before i let it start growing more peppers.

I need to move all my small plants to new containers too.

• 2 weeks later...

That reminds me of the Daytona 500 party at the American Legion 2 years ago. Yes, there was alcohol involved.

Carol had been given a vibrating egg as a gag gift the night before and of course had to bring it and show it to everybody. She was becoming rather annoying by letting the damn thing bounce around the table and dropping it down people's shirts. When she went to get another round, "someone" decided it would be funny to rub a Jalapeno pepper on the egg.

Carol's daughter finally took the egg away from her and apparently forgot to give it back. Her boyfriend told me the next day, she spent an hour in a bathtub of cold water trying to get cooled down. It seems some parts of the body are more sensitive than others. :D

As a life long chilihead, I have grown many different peppers over the years. The problem with habanero peppers is the nasty taste. Plenty of heat but taste like a skunk smells. My favorite pepper is the deArbol sometimes called devil horns because they grow upward. They have heat around 150,000 su but taste similar to a cayenne.

I used to subscribe to chilipepper magazine 15 or so years ago and bought some extract from a company that advertised there. Had to sign a wavier to buy it and the company no longer exists. But I still have 95% of it left. So incredibly hot that one tiny drop can make a pot of chilli so hot most people can't eat it.

For a basic burn the shit out of your friends I use Dave's total insanity sauce. It tastes like taco bell hot sauce at first and then explodes with heat. (think taco bell packet and syringe) A teaspoonful feels like you are swallowing lava and will make most people puke. But puking may actually be better than having it go all the way through and literally setting your ass on fire. Dave's ultimate insanity is slighter hotter but tastes like habanero.

I have used hot peppers to ignite passion in many of the women I have been with - eat some wings and then pussy. She will not usually figure out why she is so hot but will want to go all night long. I was living with this girl named Sherry for awhile, perfect california blonde very light skin and huge tits. She made me breakfast in bed one time and sprinkled some crushed deArbol on my eggs. The shaker I normally used had gotten broke and she used her hands to get some out the bag. She wasn't real bright and didn't think to wash her hands. She came back to bed and in awhile she had touched herself and ended up with big red splotches all over her. She soaked in a cold tub for a very long time. I thougt it was hilairous but she was pissed and we ended up splitting up over it. Another time I was planning to make sauce and my girlfriend thought she would help out by cuttinng up the peppers before I got home from work. She didn't wear gloves and burned her hands pretty bad. She kept her hands in a bowl of ice water for the rest of the night.

Hot stuff only bothers mucus membranes on me, my hands are fine when I handle it. I would second and third the experiences with women, though.

The capsaicin purification did yeild a thin film of capsaicin on the bottom of the cold finger, I noted today. I touched my finger to it, licked it, and was plenty warm! Still, it is a small film, opaque and no crystals. Perhaps better that way...

My plants died. I was pissed before the summer. Until I went to Mexico, and slept over at some chicks house. She made breakfeast the next day, and holy shit it was hot. She gave me lots of the chilies she used to make the salsa, orange ones growing upward. I have not tasted the red savina, but the sure as hell were hotter than the regular habanero.

I dont think habanero tastes that bad. Sort of a mild, different chili taste, but I also think arbols are better. Hmmm, maybe even my favourite.

I ate my little piquin pepper raw yesterday, and it was indeed a bit hotter than a jalapeno. I had saved all the seeds in it too plant more, but some un-aware asshole threw away the saran wrap that was keeping them together.