APC Forum

35% Hydrogen Peroxide

Caleb51

Is this true, that really high percentage H2O2 can detonate and is really sensitive? I am thinking of dessicating some of my 50% for kicks.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• Caleb51

• Swany

• Douchermann

Yeah, but it would be much more so once it is in contact with organic material. Several binary mixes could be made with fuels that would decompose within hours unless detonated. Starch, aluminum and other fuels come to mind.

I've used cooking pyrex before with no problem whatsoever. Look on the bright side, you can be sure there are no organics in your glassware when you're done. Another option is to get a $3 beaker and use that.

• 4 weeks later...
I've recently experimented with freezing 3% H2O2. I froze it until it was slightly slushy and filtered out the ice trying to prevent the h2o2 from freezing too. After freezing it a second time and filtering the ice it must have been concentrated to some extent because I was left with white fingers after handling it. ;) So it might be better to try freezing to slush and filtering before distilling.(remember to keep the ice, it still contains some H2O2)