APC Forum

35% Hydrogen Peroxide

Caleb51

You can actually make rust really fast using electrolysis.

Get a solution of h2o2 (6-30%). Put 2 iron nails attached to electricity. After around 30seconds, the formation of iron oxide catalyzes the h2o2 to decomposition, thus liturally eating your iron nail in less than 5 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• Caleb51

• Swany

• Douchermann

• 1 month later...
Like many have said , at high concentrations this stuff is very dangerous. My dad is a salesman for an engineering company that sells pumps, dust collectors ect. for assorted manufacturing plants. There is one plant thast he visits frequently that manufactures PURE H2O2. Recently they had a fire break out in one of their pumps becuase i was turned off for a short period and an IRON component inside oxidized. This fire spread through the rest of the pump which contained around 1000 gallons of the stuff and exploded killing one person. H2O2 is fun at concentrations 45% and below but any6 higher is very very dangerous. becauser like others have said. any contact with oxidized or organic material will cause it to catch fire.

any contact with oxidized or organic material will cause it to catch fire.

why lie? i used 50-70% and have not experianced such thing

How do you calculate that? I am lead to belive it forms an azeotrope with water at roughly 30-35% at STP, and then begins to decompose on heating. Under a vacuum you can distill higher concentrations. Most distillations to get higher concentrations use a dehydrating agent.

You say 50-70% implying that you have not actually decided what concentration it is.

I am not lying trust me. If you want i can scan and then post copies of numerous safety sheets on this stuff that my dad has. Like swany said you cant really be sure of your concentration. TRust me on this please because i have seen the real deal in action and it aint pretty.

I don't entirely believe that those concentrations will auto-ignite with organic substances, but I know that with higher concentrations, it CAN happen.

Actually, a man died due to burns caused by such an auto ignition in his garage. He was using the peroxide for rockets, so I'm guessing (remember, guessing) it was between 70-90%, as those concntrations are typically used for this purpose.

I have generated really high peroxide concentrations in-situ, high enough to catch paper or magnesium on fire. Sodium peroxide is fun stuff.

Yoru probably right big bang. I do not know the exact concentration for it to auto ignigte, i just know that it will. The person i was talking about that died was in a manufacturing plant where they take pure 100% concentrated H2O2 and water it down for commercial and industrial use. This stuff got ignited by an ill placed Iron valve in their pump which caused about 1000 gallons of it to ignite under pressure.

I am lead to belive it forms an azeotrope with water at roughly 30-35% at STP, and then begins to decompose on heating. 50-70% will most likely not ignite organic material, but 90% (H2O2 rocket fuel) will as well as higher concentrations. It also depends on the organic material really. If it is easily oxidised then it will catch fire with lower concentrations. Such as gasoline or alcohol.

IIRC, its not that it forms an azeotrope, but the hydrogen peroxide and water boil at the same temperature around that concentration.

IIRC, its not that it forms an azeotrope, but the hydrogen peroxide and water boil at the same temperature around that concentration.

And that is not an azeotrope how? You basically just defined azeotrope. :D

There are a few things that cound be happening around 30-35%. The heat could just be too great at normal pressure, and the H2O2 simply decomposes. Another possibility is there is actually an azeotrope, though not one that I know of. There is a freezing azeotrope at 63% or so.

Haha yeah you're right. I wasn't thinking at the time. There is line graph on the freezing temp X concentration along with a boiling point X concentration. I think a link to it can be found on sciencemadness somewhere.

Yeah when I get money I'm going to get a full drum of 98% H2O2. I dont think its in a regular drum though because wouldn't the peroxide oxidize the metal? Unless it's a stainless steel 55 gallon one..

It's more than likely coated with something, such as teflon or glass. I personally wouldn't even trust stainless.

What about those 6% H2O2 conc. detergants, is it safe to boil them without losing the H2O2 or will I have to keep it around 80 like the 3% conc.

You'll still have to keep the temp down. I have never heard of H2O2 detergent. There is H2O2 bleach, which is what I think you're talking about. Those are thickened with something and dyed. I think this would be a poor source.

The best way to reach really high concentration is by just placing the low conc H2O2 in a dessicator.

Remember to place the dessicator in a moderately warm, dark place.

• 2 weeks later...

from my experience, high concentration HOOH is easily found at the pool store. i use Baquacil or Baquaspa, but then again thats because i actually use them in mah hot tub :)

enjoy

~Arete

• 2 months later...
Yeah I've messed with that stuff. After a little while it deteriorates. It deteriorated on me, and it put a dropper full on a paper towel and nothing happened. I turned around to get another dropper full and I hear a loud "PHHHWUMPH". I turn around and see the whole paper towel on fire

haha, fun stuff.

Yes, although it is fun to drip on organic things(like ants paper and such :ph34r: ) be very careful as it is an HE and is impact sensitive, and don't get carried away and forget you are organic ;)

Today I tried freezing my peroxide to get a higher percentage instead of boiling like i usually do. Well i froze it strained out the ice. I kept both the ice and the liquid that was left. I place the ice back in the freezer to again try to get some more water out. Well i wanted to see if there was any peroxide in the ice so i waited for it melt i then reacted it with manganese dioxide and it fizzled and bubbled just like the liquid from which the ice was taken from. What went wrong any ideas?

Well, there are two senarios, First there was some H2O2 in the ice,

Second, freezing doesn't work with 3%. It will all freeze at approximatly the same temp. Realisticly, it has to be like 30% to even start separating the H2O2.

Well i read this whole thread and got nothing from it. No way in hell am i putting H2O2 in my glass still that i just paid 300$ for. heating is not efficeint. So how should i got about this?

I regularly buy 1-liter bottles of 30% in a drug store that carries some standard chems. What I found is the stabilizers are not too effective. One bottle had only 5% when I got it (titrated), one good bottle, once close to 30%, went bad in the *freezer* within a year. It now has ice chunks in it at -18C, which equates to something like 20% left. Before it would not freeze even at the lowest setting, which is -29C for my fridge.

Well i read this whole thread and got nothing from it. No way in hell am i putting H2O2 in my glass still that i just paid 300$ for. heating is not efficeint. So how should i got about this?

Any glass you payed $300 for, assuming and presuming you didn't get a metric ton of bomex, will take heating just fine. Steaming 3% for a while will yeild a much higher concentration, although the yeilds are probably not quantative.

Steam 3% or buy higher concentrations.