APC Forum

35% Hydrogen Peroxide

Caleb51

Hello, this may be a newbie misunderstanding, but I believe I saw someone trying to make stronger hydrogen peroxide by distilling the over the counter stuff they had. I was looking around today and saw this http://www.dfwx.com/h2o2.htm and thought I would post it just incase anyone was looking for it. I don't know the use of this for pyro, but I saw someone trying to make some stronger, so I posted this. It's 35%.

Please don't flame me if this was a misunderstanding :D

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• Caleb51

• Swany

• Douchermann

We won't flame you, just lock the thread.

And the most notable use for 35% peroxide is the manufacture of organic peroxides.

Yeah hydrogen peroxide doesn't really have a purpose in pyrotechinics (at least I don't know any). But there's quite a few in HE's.

Perhaps that was it aquaman. I think I may have seen someone trying to distill it back in the old forum in the HE section. I feel like such a newb, shit.

Well you can make some rust pretty fast with it. Just add steel wool.

Well 35% is mainly used for organic peroxides (which have uses besides just being explosive), but if you concentrate it to say 70-90% its fun to play with. But don't do it. It will oxidise organic materials with such heat and speed that it can cause fire. The main reason I say don't do it is because

A you are organic

B Any little spec of dust inside a distilation rig is organic and could cause an explosion.

So if you concentrate the H2O2 to about 80% and put some on say some wood it will catch fire? That's awsome... but like you said it also sounds dangerous.

If you really want to do that just make some Mn2O7 solution. Its just sulfuric and kmno4 crystals....pour it on anything organic and it erupts in flame and smoke. Just gotta use clean glassware.....unlike what i did.....

Yeah I've messed with that stuff. After a little while it deteriorates. It deteriorated on me, and it put a dropper full on a paper towel and nothing happened. I turned around to get another dropper full and I hear a loud "PHHHWUMPH". I turn around and see the whole paper towel on fire

haha, fun stuff.

Or, better yet, conc. H2O2 added cold dropwise to conc. H2SO4. H2SO5 soln is formed, that would be even more cool than conc H2O2 in my humble opinion. Even with 35% H2O2 you can make some impressive peroxysulfuric acid solution...

Your skin is a very good buffer layer against acid, base, corrosive shit, whatever. Pouring sulfuric acid on your hand at STP wont do anything, similar with HCl. Hot acids are a different story...

Go ahead and place some 30% H2O2 on your skin somewhere. Take a look at it in a few minutes, go to bed, and then again in the morning. It's a fun trick.

Doesn't that turn you skin like white?

I just thought of something that could be fun. If it comes into contact with something organic, it will smoke, burst into flames, etc.

Organic things all have carbon in them. What if you had a glass with conc. hydrogen peroxide in it and dropped some pure carbon in there. This is just something to try. I haven't done it, but if you wanted to it might be pretty cool.

If one of you do this, let the rest of us know what happens.

Are you kidding me? Yes, you can take 3% H2O2 and boil the water off. 1/10 of its original volume is 30%. So.. 225 mL of 3% to 25 mL is 30%. Some will decompose though, but it works like a charm.

And good luck with 70-80% H2O2... It's an explosive by itself and can be detonated. Anything above 50% is pretty much explosive by itself.

It's used for all types of organic peroxides (Many HE's such as Acetone Peroxide and Methyl Ethyl Ketone Peroxide etc...)

You can get it OTC (3%, 27%, and 50% are most common) if you do a little research, which never hurts.

For the last damn time, you can't fucking boil 3% H2O2 and expect to get 30%. You have to steam the water off. 3% boils at 102 or 103 degrees meaning if you are boiling it, you are losing a shit ton of H2O2. Keeping it at 80 or so makes it much better. I have tried it both way, and you can tell the difference. I don't think the stuff I boiled was much higher than 10 or 15%.

Mumbles by heating the H202 to about 80° how long would you say it took to concentrate it?

Depends on a plethora of factors, mostly regarding surface area, Get a large teflon coated pan, and you can concentrate a liter within the hour.

Just because organic compounds contain carbon, means nothing about carbons reactivity. Starting gasoline on fire is easier than igniting a chunk of graphite, or perhaps diamond?

• 2 weeks later...
Organic things all have carbon in them. What if you had a glass with conc. hydrogen peroxide in it and dropped some pure carbon in there. This is just something to try. I haven't done it, but if you wanted to it might be pretty cool.

If one of you do this, let the rest of us know what happens.

I have 50% H2O2. I dropped a piece of willow charcoal in it. I did it in wish to get some O2.

No flames or anything apeared.

http://www.zone.ee/beg4mercy/O2.avi

I also poured it on KMnO4: http://www.zone.ee/beg4mercy/KMnO4+H2O2.avi

You can see there water boiling to fume with very short time.

Excuse my bad english.