APC Forum

Hints and tips for Australians

mike_au

No, I doubt it would be that useful anyway. Sources once publicly posted always seem to disappear after a while.

Better off privately asking someone.

This is the link to thread of where it started.

http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthrea...ssie+otc&page=2

If your not already a member, I believe you have to sign up to see it.

Don't bother, the only decent posts were back in '03 and nearly everything else is a dead end. If your after industrial chemicals, find out what other uses they have in industry (eg, cleaning, bleaching etc), grab a copy of the yellow pages and call around suitable suppliers.

I'm not particularly fond of spoonfeeding.

Just to add, If you ever need more Sulfur, Bunnings sells it.

I think it's overpriced in my opinion but it's by the far the most common shop which sells it and of course MOST of the people there have no clue about anything and you could buy as much as you want without a funny look.

KNO3 is a very tricky item to obtain. I have tried 3 Chemists/Pharmacys. I didn't just walk around and look for it I just asked for it cause I need it for work. I have tried 2 Hydroponic stores and no luck. I am just ordering from a chemical factory and using the business name as I need it to remove silver plating.

Just to add, If you ever need more Sulfur, Bunnings sells it.

I think it's overpriced in my opinion but it's by the far the most common shop which sells it and of course MOST of the people there have no clue about anything and you could buy as much as you want without a funny look.

I buy my Sulfur from Bunnings too. It is pretty expensive, but for people just starting out and not using up tons of chemicals its quite reasonable.

Do any of the aussies here have msn? I would love to chat to some and swap info on all the goodies you've found... PM me your email if you're keen.

Pretty Expensive but convenient. I heard that one or two of the Bunnings Warehouses stock KNO3. But it must be those really big ones where they got everything. I know a place so I might drive up this weekend and take a look. Don't think they would stock it but from some sources I have heard they do.

Don't you guys find that living further away from the city it is easier to obtain such things? I live nearish the city but I find shops further away have alot more of these things.

KNO3 is all over the place, the trick is finding a supplier who will sell it to someone off the street :)

My supplier is about an hours drive from me, but still well within the suburbs (well an industrial area near the suburbs).

On the subject of suppliers...does anyone have a good source for tubes?

Edit:

also, has anyone found a source for different sized meshes (proper or improvised)?

I believe ball milling is also used in ceramics or something so I might call around and see what I can find.

I make my own tubes. Cheap and easy. You can buy them online too.

You can buy mesh online also. Not much of a hassle. There's a Lortone Suppliers in Australia which sell Rock Tumblers they are expensive in my opinion but they are good. Just find Rock hobby shops and they will have them. Remember you are a eager rock collector. I am just begging my Aunty for her Washing machine to steal the motor.

Good luck!

Gunzway

I've been making my own tubes too, but I would prefer proper ones.

All the same O/D, no air bubbles, no worrying about how much glue goes on them.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to convince my mum to let me buy some fuse from pyro planet.

does anyone know where to get potassium nitrate in south australia that has actually got it not just heard about getting it there?

I have just ordered some fuse off pyroplanet.

fredbert for kno3 try rural/farm suppliers. www.yellowpages.com.au is a good place to search and just call around, you should be able to find places that sell 25kg for around $30.

If you're young you may need an adult to buy it for you. I have a friend in SA and I think he knows where to get some so I will talk to him.

If you have msn pm me your address and we can chat... I am hording ausie pyro's as contacts =D

Milky...

Aussie guys, I've read the thread and I might have missed it, but in the U.S. one regular source of good quality KNO3 if you can't buy the big bags is "Stump remover." I'm sure you guys have read about that stuff here and on other web sites. Is there an Australian stump remover brand that is KNO3? The stuff here in the U.S. is relatively pure K nitrate, and works fine for pyro, although a bit expensive.

Is the production and sale of visco illegal in Australia? If legal, if a guy were to make a decent Visco machine, he could make some money selling it. ;)

I haven't been able to find stump remover anywhere, there are plenty of stump killer products but as I understand it stump remover is used to break down the already long dead wood. None of the gardening places I talked to had ever heard of it.

I think visco production/sale would be illegal, black powder and fuse are both considered dangerous goods which can only be handled, stored and shipped by someone with dangerous goods handling clearance. I think you need a higher level to be involved in manufacturing. Not that that would necessarily mean its not possible, I dare say 99% of the people doing amateur pyro in Aus are breaking the law, you would just have to be a bit careful who you sell to.

MilkyJoe: Please let us know if/when you receive your fuse, I emailed them a while back but didn't get a response, I assumed that meant they weren't interested in dealing with me maybe I should try again.

Mike_au, Maybe you did not fill out the details properly as I have emailed them several times and they replied within 4 hours.

In australia i have only ever heard of stump remover once and that was from some import warehouse in Tasmania.

Your in SA, thats major pot growing territory. There should be plenty of hydro stores around that should stock KNO3.

Im from SA and their is a ALOT of hydro stores, and they all have one thing in common, they look incredibly dodgy. They dont even list their store in the yellow pages.

I rang 3 of them up and I found 1, that had KNO3.

If any South Aussies need help finding KNO3, I can point you in the right direction. I will PM you fredbert.

Mike I ordered fuse from them and I doubt that they are not intrested in doing business unless your email you sent them made you seem like a "kewl".

fuse arrived without problem, fast shipping... ordered last Wednesday and it arrived today (Thursday).

I am thinking about getting that flying fish pack now :D

Just ordered another roll of premium Chinese visco, might as well stock up while I can.

Hmm, my mum wont let me get any visco online because its illegal, or at least she thinks it is, can anyone give me a link to a trusted site stating that it is not illegal (thats if it actually isn't)

if its just illegal to send in air mail would anyone like to purchase it for me then i can add a postage fee ontop of the original cost... just a thought.

Like most things pyrotechnic, it is illegal.

Well technically its classed as dangerous goods, it isn't illegal in itself, but it is illegal for someone who isn't trained/certified to handle or store it.

Since MilkyJoe seems to have had no problems, I think that is enough excuse for me. I will be putting my order in soon.

Any advice on whether to go for the 1.8mm Chinese, the 2.4mm green or the 2.4mm premium? Are they all water proof (only the 2.4mm green mentions it)?

I'm tempted to go for the 1.8mm because it should be more flexible and there is more of it on a roll.