APC Forum

The best flash powder

weknowpyro

Oh, they were very loud. If the APC filehost didnt give me an "invalid referrer" error every time I try to upload something, I would post the video. But a 6g polumna (the one in my avatar) echoed 6 times off the hills a fair bit away.

You assuming that 6g of flash "can't be that loud" just goes to show how much permanganate flash sucks. I could make something of similar loudness with probably 2g of proper flash.

sorry but its the easiest flash i can make cheaply.pesonally i dnt want to spend 15 quid on kclo4 then another 10 quid on german al just so that i can have something slighly stronger.

Ok, we have an edit function, use it.

As far as KNO3/Al flash, I would much prefer it to Permanganate. It is stronger, and safer. Add 5% boric acid, and it is actually less sensitive than perchlorate based flash. It is stronger than permanganate flash, and much less sensitive and toxic.

• Like 1

I would personally suggest -600 mesh dark flake. However -325 mesh will work if it is flake, otherwise you will have to get to 600 mesh or so at least if it is anything else.

ok so you obvisously no alot more about chemistry than me but how can KNo3 flash be stronger than permangante when permangante is a much stronger oxidizer?

Potassium Nitrate gives up more oxygen. Permanganate is a better oxidiser in the sense that it gives up more electrons, and easier.

Has anyone used coloured flash in like aerial salutes at shows for effect?

A friend of mine just did some some tests with Degn's red report flash, and sent me video. It sure enough was red, but it would require spiking and good confinement to make an aerial salute I think.

This is not a general flash thread. Please keep it to discussion of best flash powder, not just random flash powders.

Ok, now what did I just say? I suggest you read it again. Also, work on the grammar. You're going to have to start using capital letters.

The problem is this is NOT "the flashpowder section". This thread is for discussion of which flash powder is best, there can of course be different flash powders that are better for different applications. You are asking about how two random flash powders compare. This not have anything to do with what is best. This is not the "lets talk about every single flash powder" thread.

dude, DO NOT mouth off to a member of authority.

I personally Like Mg/KClO4 flashpowder because it is Bright, loud, Also because, I can get the correct mesh Mg more easily than the correct mesh Al. For Bright flashes I just use Sr(NO3)2/Mg, it is reddish pink and extremely bright, at 3 grams it gives very little report for the large bright flash.

Yeah don't piss off Mumbles or I forsee a cyber bitch-slap in your future.

As for the best Flash powder I'd have to say 70:30 Perc:Al it packs hella more punch than I initially expected. I have also tried that Zn/S flash powder that I read a bit about on the old forum but it sucked. (Maybe I did it wrong) it was slower than the noob briquette BP I started out with.

I think I may have found a flash using KNO3, Zn, S, and charcoal. Once I tweek it to a good power I will post it. (By the way so far it's burning a really pale green)

Potassium Nitrate gives up more oxygen.  Permanganate is a better oxidiser in the sense that it gives up more electrons, and easier.

Mumbles, from my experience KMnO4/Mg flash gives the loudest report for a given quantity.

KNO3 can never make better report (of course I'm talking about same mesh sizes of oxidizers and fuels).

And for your big statement:

As far as I am concerned anyone who continually uses permanganate in pyrotechnics is nothing more than a kewl, too lazy to get real oxidisers

I don't know where you live, but not in any country you can get cheap oxidizers other than KMnO4.

I give you a comparison:

In my country KMnO4 cost about 6.7 $ a kilo, and KClO3 cost 44$ a kilo. and I'm not even talking about KClO4 who costs about 80$ a kilo.

No one can ship this oxidizers to my country so this is my prices. and from money limitations I just can't afford them.

The only other cheap oxidizer I can get is KNO3 wich xosts me about 0.9$ a kilo (dirt cheap), but if you want loud report - this oxidizers won't be any good.

To conclude, using KMnO4 isn't always being kewl or lazy.

Iv use KMnO4/Mg, flash and had no problems with it and iv been more than happy with the results, very loud and great flash.

KNO3/Mg flash hasn’t worked as well for me, as for KclO3 and KclO4 based flashes, I simply do not have access to these chemicals at the moment, so until then Kmno4 flash works best for me.

Yes Quest, I understand where you are coming from. The use of KMnO4 in pyro, I am not specifically against. It is the use of KMnO4 + newbs in pyro that I am against. All they ever want to do is make flash powder, which I feel is not the correct place to start. There is much more to pyro than just flash powder. The people who come by just wanting to make booms with common materials, without actually learning anything about it or respecting the hobby make me sick. This is what I see the newbs who come by asking about KMnO4 flash powder as. If they were trying to develop stars, or fountains, or lift, hell anything but flash powder, I would not be as against it. KMnO4 is the quickest to find, so they just stop after that, even though KNO3 may be 2 isles over.

There is always the option to make a chlorate cell for chlorates by the way.

Chlorate cell isn't much problem to build and I built one who costs me 0$, but the power supply is the expensive part - I'm working on building one with my fater from other 3 power suppliers which peaople have dumped. But this isn't the case.

From my expericnce , newbs who are looking to make "bombs" end up making TATP - much easy to get chems.

If you take your self and go to a chem store to buy expensive metal powder and KMnO4 to make flash powder - so maybe you got some sense about safety, and you aren't such dumb ass newb.

Of course I'm talking about people who can't get other oxidizers for reasonable prices.

dude, DO NOT mouth off to a member of authority.

I personally Like Mg/KClO4 flashpowder because it is Bright, loud, Also because, I can get the correct mesh Mg more easily than the correct mesh Al. For Bright flashes I just use Sr(NO3)2/Mg, it is reddish pink and extremely bright, at 3 grams it gives very little report for the large bright flash.

Are these more stable than AL/KClO4 ?

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm...i've had a look around and have stepped upon a high temperature flash powder; barium sulphate and aluminium if i remeber correctly in ratio 50:50? from parts of literature that ive read it seems stable, easy to ignite, and alledgedly produces a low boom even with little confinement. though i can only test this "amazing" flash powder if i can get the chems for it.

I havent been able to procure any barium sulphate where ever i look, its not helped by the fact that im here in the UK. :(

edit: i found the ratios on wissers site:

Flash #6

Source: rec.pyrotechnics. Post by Patrick Arnold <pcats@cryton.demon.co.uk

Comments: Can be ignited by a fairly low temperature flame, and produces a greenish flash when magnesium is used. Burns very fast, and produces a loud report even in an open container.

Preparation:

Magnesium or Aluminum.............................1

Barium sulfate....................................1

Flash #6

Source: rec.pyrotechnics. Post by Patrick Arnold

Comments: Can be ignited by a fairly low temperature flame, and produces a greenish flash when magnesium is used. Burns very fast, and produces a loud report even in an open container.

Preparation:

Magnesium or Aluminum.............................1

Barium sulfate....................................1

Wow, I may have to try this just because it sounds interesting. I don't think I would ever really use it, but I am curious on how it might perfom. I will report back after I do a test or two in a few days. I might be able to get some video too.