APC Forum

Fountains

weknowpyro

I would probably also try some acetone on a few. Theres a good chance it's not bound with dextrin or SGRS, which means water will be a relatively ineffective binding agent. Acetone will activate red gum, shellac, NC, and a few others. This will provide a more solid final produc, and it will dry faster.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• artificier

• weknowpyro

• FrKoNaLeaSh1010

• Mumbles

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

acetone nail remover its ok or i buy pure acetone ?

acetone nail remover its ok or i buy pure acetone ?

Nail polish has other crap mixed in and it's not uncommon that there is MEK in it, so i'd go with the pure technical grade acetone.

Well pure acetone would be the best. You never want to use anything but pure chemicals. Although the nail polish removiver will probably work your better off using the pure acetone if you have access to it...it comes in handy as a very volatile solvent.

acetone is really not a problem. at least not where i live.

it is sold in any hardware store, pharmacys as nail polish remover (but in a very pure form), and even in supermarkets.

so i actually believe it wont b a problem.

Well I made a fast fountain for a quick pyro fix the other day. I quickly made up the comps and loaded them. I guess the second part, with the barium nitrate and different aluminums burned though the thin case with too much ease! Oh well, I like the charcoal part the best.

Here is the link:

http://www.apcforum.net/files/fountianchal.wmv

That was awesome dude. I like how it was all soft orange sparks and then it got really bright and started to roar a bit.

Do u have a ratio for that Barium nitrate and aluminum based fountain comp. Barium nitrate makes very bright whites so i would assume that would be brighter than a normal bp/al fountain which would be very desireable if you could post that comp.

Why yes, I keep notes of everything.

The aluminum fountian is:

KNO3......................5

Ba(NO3)2................45

Meal powder............5

Aluminum ...............45

The aluminums I used was:

Dark.......................8

325 mesh bright.......7

Medium flitter...........15

Coarse flitter............15

When I make another one I will omit the dark al, and replace it with half titanium 10-20 mesh, and the other half coarse flitter.

The charcoal part was:

KNO3.......................... .45 ...... 45%

Airfloat charcoal........... .07 ...... 7%

sulfur.......................... .045 ...... 4.5%

Meal powder................ .10 ...... 10%

60-100 mesh charcoal.. .15 ...... 15%

40-60 mesh charcoal.... .085 ...... 8.5%

Steel powder............... .10 ...... 10%

:)

Yeah that was a pretty nice fountain! I especially like the changing effects. I haven’t had much success with getting my fountains to change colours. The nozzle ends up getting full of slag and stuff by the time the second stage kicks in.

• 3 months later...
What's the word on ramming fountain comps that contain titanium? I know that pressing is the recommended way to go, but I don't have a press yet. Is it simply too unsafe to ram titanium comps? What about hand drilling the nozzles out?

I would suggest against both. If you're going to drill it out, do it as slowly as possible. There isn't really any safer way to ram it. Also, the Ti will scratch steel or aluminum tools.

Thanks for the heads up Mumbles. I assume FeTi & any Ti alloy in general is not really safe to ram correct? I've heard about the scratching issues with titanium. Grog added to nozzle mix is apparently pretty harsh on tools as well.

• 4 months later...

I've made a fountain with the following comp.:

kno3: 24g

charcoal: 4g

sulfur: 4g

iron<150 µm: 11g

here's the video (fired in a windy condition):

When i was starting off with pyro, i decided to make a neat fountain, so after packing the fountain mix, i added a tad (maybe 0.01g) of flash. When the fountain burned out and the flash ignited, the fountain shot into the air with a thick orange spark tail. i was like. :o

That sounds neat, it might be a good idea to try a full on ground-salute finale on a fountain, probably safer than having a little flash shoot the burning tube in a random direction.

I get next week around 5 pound of sparklers material, kitty litter matter or hot glue for a good plug and kraft paper and i try to make a good fountain!

• 1 month later...

well i don't know if this is consitered a fountain but i use:

what ever is in a road flare................ 4

mg................................................. 3

al....................................................2

i just put all that in a magic bullet (blinder) but the mg and al are already ground into dust its pretty sweet my mom saw it and i was already in trouble for pryo and she didn't really care like get mad so i liked it

hi dudes

im back now,

My favourite Fountain composition is

BP:70%

Aluminiumpowder( made from sanding disk): 20%

magnesiumshavings: 10%

polumna

Can anyone lead me to a good fountain making tutorial, because i really dont want to mess up, like making a salute(dont know if its possible, but not taking any risks)?