APC Forum

Binary Impact Sensitive Explosives

ns4life

Chlorate is impact sensitive among other things. I would suggest you hammer test a very very small amount to find out first hand.

I actually did hammer test some chlorate 7/3 in a small pile on the concrete and wasn't really able to get it to go off.

I did actually get it to go off 1 time after many hammer strikes and a few different piles. I honestly don't think the stuff is as dangerous as people make it out to be as long as you dont mix sulfur in it and watch out for acidic conditions. Then again I dont really want to blow my hands off either so I still get nervous.

Edited by maliveline

Chlorates put in a right condition can and will be very sensitive . With the pure stuff (chems) these days , it is less a issue. I would still respect the material in the the utmost way. Chlorates are in fact are wonderful if given the proper respect. Steel against steel will almost always give a report . concrete can absorb shock in ways steel wont.

MrB ... I was joking as suspected . about the DU. . I would not ever condone using depleted materials .But a good laugh was in call for.

MrB ... I was joking as suspected . about the DU. . I would not ever condone using depleted materials .But a good laugh was in call for.

There is so much that you can, and really should use DU for. It's probably the best radiation shielding you can buy for money, for example. Way better then lead. But yeah, i can see the need for a laugh, sorry if i killed the joke for ya.

B!

I dont think it is anymore impact sensitive than perchlorate. actually the perchlorate pile was the one that gave me the report. (althought Im sure there was some KClO3 contaminant.)

I was able to yield some perchlorate in my cell by surprise.

Edited by maliveline

Yes, but chlorate is by far more sensitive. Also when other things like sulfur, and or ant. trisulfide. are in the picture . As said flash is one of the most dangerous mixtures used in this hobby. It is not respected by some as it should be, and that is where the danger lye's.

YA, also one thing that comes to mind is the sensitivities to friction is more so with the kclo3 . Both will pop with a impact. This is why most 22 sensitive targets are really no more than spiced up FP. Any FP firecracker will pop with a .22 inpact as well. Areal salutes are quite impressive to shoot as well. At one of our events a few guys threw a handful out to target practice with ( snuck them behind some paper targets and soft shooting targets . Boy what a surprise, when you didnt know what was hiding behind the bullseye.

that's pretty funny. I would like to see someone shoot an actual mortar with stars in it. Ya I would use perchlorate but its easier for me to get chlorate at this point. It makes me kind of nervous but I think I really need a MOT power supply if I want to do perchlorate.

On the contrary , MOT is a waste of $. You can buy cheap PS 's on the internet shipped to you for a deal. Not to mention being way more efficient . Also the PS(power supply) is not what determines the end result but more so the electrodes . Follow the Thread on perchlorates .

Also the shells shot by rifle where FP salutes ....no stars. Just a massive boom. Regular shells most likely will not ignite from a gunshot, but it is possible . I too love kclo3 for many applications ........BUT ...., it is respected , for its sensitive side.

Just tape at FP salute to a shell with stars and then shoot it lol. You know of any specific ps's off the internet or were you just thinking like computer power supplies.

Either will work. There are 0-50A supplies for a bargain. Just check Ebay or amazon. Most are shipped from China , but will work for most all your needs .

:-) they call that a salami shell. Usually a couple nice breaks followed by a massive banger.

You think it would be safe to mix 500 grams of KClO3 and aluminum in a 70/30 ratio and put it in a sandwich ziplock bag and duct tape it really tight and then shoot it lol.

Edited by maliveline

Barbeque cups with lids work perfect.

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Ice-PIJS040200-Souffle-Translucent/dp/B004DGZ9JE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416526526&sr=8-1&keywords=condiment+cup+with+lid

The mixure needs to be about that thick for a 22 to set it off. 3/4 in. Shooting into the lid not the side. Tape it up good so if you (wing it) it stays together and you can keep trying. I have never tried to add ti to make it more sensitive but some say that would do it. I kinda think if they are sensitive enough a shotgun or pistol will set them off that's good enough. :)

They are fun to hang from trees with string. sit back at 100 yards with your 22 and see who's got it. :)

screw that dude I do like 10 pound targets with tannerite lol. I'm going to do probably like 500 gram tarets this weekend with potassium chlorate. theres no way that 500 grams would fit in that dixie cup. I'm just nervous because potassium chlorate seems sketchy.

Edited by maliveline

If you think "it seems sketchy" maybe wait until you have more experience with the chem. before you get all ape shit crazy with it in targets over a pound each?

you can do up to 50 pound targets legally. Honestly the most tannerite I have ever set off at one time was like a 1 gallon freezer bag full and I think it was like 4 or 5 pounds so I guess I have never really done a 10 pound target but 5 pounds was definitely badass. I would say a 500 gram KClO3 target is pretty manageable which is basically about the size of a sandwich size freezer bag full. I would rather use KClO4 but its way easier for me to produce KClO3 so thats what I'm using.

If I ever decide to do like 5 or 10 pounds of KClO3 I definitely won't be using a 70/30 mix with aluminum

I will probably do like a cheddite type of a mix with kerosene and maybe try to initiate it with a smaller 500 gram charge of 70/30. I'm not really sure how legal that is but I think it might be. But right now I'm only doing 500 gram targets of 70/30 so I'm not worried about it.

Edited by maliveline

I have bad feeling about this. If Im not mistaking, You have not shot a 1/4# of flash target mix before? If you did you would realize that it is way hotter than AN targets , and the potential of mixing 1/2 kilo batches in static prone plastic PP bag gives me the eeeebeeee geeebeeee's!!!

Im saying if your determined to do something that size and dangerous , you need to take all precautions to the max. NOT mix in a dangerous method. Im just saying ....., it s your life of course .

Your drifting into a HE discussions and targets are a border line discussion that is tolerated, but HE will need to be kept in the proper part of the forum. I sense some humor/ sarcasm in your posts , just be aware some wont take it as funny , and may take it personal.

I only make suggestions to you , because it is a area that intrigues lots of us, but if done foolhardy it can and most likely take your life. I hope I can inspire you to make some safer decisions , so you can enjoy this hobby a lot longer.

Well actually I do my mixing in a medium size plastic jar and I only mix like small amount maybe 50 to 100 grams at a time then I pour it into the plastic zip lock bag until I get 500 grams. I did buy a can of anti static spray that I think I'm going to take with me this time.

But honestly my aluminum and my chlorate are pretty coarse and don't ignite very easily. I would say the part that makes me the most nervous is wrapping the loaded zip lock bag super tight with duct tape.

I suppose this type of activity is indeed a HE type of activity but I have done my home work and I know that its perfectly legal to transport these chemicals without any type of licenses as long as they are unmixed. Once you mix them you have to use them that day and you cannot transport them.

I realize that in some states the protectionist/fascists have outlawed exploding targets but in my state you can still use them in the winter time.

Edited by maliveline

What state do you live in? If it is legal then it should be easy to just buy the right chemicals in the first place.

I live in Oregon. I don't know I could probably buy chemicals online but honestly i don't think it would be cheaper than making my own. I went to the store last night and they were selling 4 pounds of tannerite for 20 bucks. I can buy 40 pounds of KCl for basically the same price lol.