APC Forum

Binary Impact Sensitive Explosives

ns4life

Is it just me or does this seem like a slight danger of double decomposition .> Ammonium nitrate and potassium chlorate in the presence of water ( in the antifreeze) = The dangerous Ammonium Chlorate.. :unsure:

I suspect that if any moisture is absorbed by the AN's hygroscopicity, that this could be a concern.

Also, I'd be concerned about the production of a cheddite with the chlorate and the ethylene glycol.

So, basically Boomer Shot's formula potentially yields a variant AFNO with the AN and ethylene glycol, chlorate-boosted ANFO, some cheddite with the chlorate and the ethylene glycol, and the possibility of ammonium chlorate. Yup, it oughta' boom. Dunno' why he didn't just go with AN and a decent pyro aluminum. Seems it would have been about as cheap (with atomized aluminum), and probably considerably safer, with no spontaneous fires like he experienced in the field the next day or two.

Being a life long pyro. i toyed with MG and PotPerm mixes (very sensitive and unstable for those who are new pyro enthusiat) and I am thinking about trying these mixes and variations in rimfire sensitve targets. By the way anyone else ever make their own nitroguanidine ?

Been around HE since I was Born family had a explosive lic. for as long as I could remember

Also i am master gunsmith and weapons designer and always love to talk to other enthusiast (wife hates gun and pyro talk)

I always use 95/5 AN/AL...never had one misfire...use 223.

Still have plenty of AN available if anyone is tired of spending $$$ on commercial targets...

I always use 95/5 AN/AL...never had one misfire...use 223.

Yep, don't really see a need for any other formula for reactive targets, unless wanting something for rimfire....

Still have plenty of AN available if anyone is tired of spending $$$ on commercial targets...

Blackthumb... High or low density? Have a website?? http://grandpachicsshop.com doesn't work for me.

I have had lots of luck using the following compounds as reactive targets or initiator for other mixes. Red explosive, Azides, Urea Nitrate, Picrates, ammonium triiodide, and some peroxides. BUT THESE ARE NOT SAFE AND NOT FOR THE INEXPERIENCED.

But a safer yet not cheap option for standard velocity rim fires is as followes

Potassium Chlorate 60

Sulfur 10

Antimony Trisulfide 10

Magnesium 200 mesh 10

Aluminum -325 mesh 10

Calcium Carbonate +5

safer dose not mean safe never store mixed comp. there is always a chance of a reaction with any chlorate and sulfur/sulfide mixes, and these mixes are know to be extremly sensitve to shock, heat, spark. chlorates decomp faster than perchlorate mixes so follow proper safety procediures and have an emergency plan in place

PS a careless pyro is a fingerless pyro

Edited by KI4BHG
  • Like 1

BUT THESE ARE NOT SAFE AND NOT FOR THE INEXPERIENCED.

And probably does not belong on this forum.

But a safer yet not cheap option for standard velocity rim fires is as follows.

Probably best to not post such formulas, since we don't know who might be reading these posts. Your safety warning that follows the formula will either be ignored or even further entice the kewls that find the formula, only to find out first hand how energetic and unforgiving some of these compounds can be. In inexperienced hands your formula could lead to disaster. I count 3 compounds that probably shouldn't be mixed with chlorates.

I would agree thats why im looking for a mix for my friend that are much safer and easier so the dont need me and for things whith less prep and manufacture time. i just wanted to tell the inteligent people on the forum what ive used and try to find a safe** alternitives. but please be forewarned nothing explosive is ever SAFE!!

and just for the record the best commercial ones ive found are stinger exploding targets, and they are a little cheaper than others and more powerful

What sort of safer mix are you looking for for your "friend". What sort of gun is he using? If using high velocity, plain old AN/AL is about the safest thing around. For rimfires, you will be looking at flash or its variants for the most part.

we prefer our rim fires (cheaper ammo) and like our new shooters to have a big reward for hitting the target (report)

cheap, easy, quick, and safe are filling balloons with oxy acetylene and shooting them with a tracer. but tracer become the most expensive part of this set up

and just for the record the best commercial ones ive found are stinger exploding targets, and they are a little cheaper than others and more powerful

these smell like a chlorate based mix

Actually the effect isn't that impressive. It will make a large fireball with a small bang.

One of the better effects is taking a five gallon gas can filled with diesel and strapping 1-2lbs of binary target mixture to it. Put a road flare behind the target and have fun!!

Here a picture from the last trip to the range.

New here, really interested in this picture though. I get "Access Denied" when trying to view. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

You should be fine now. Something we did to combat spam, also limits the privileges of members with no posts.

Is there a binary mix suitable for .22 LR ? I know it's a bit of a small calibre, but it would be a great project.

• 4 months later...

Since this seems to be a topic of interest I'll share my formula/method for exploding targets.

I make little hockey-puck sized targets (about 1/4" thick by 2" diameter). They contain simple 70/30 mix of pot perc with StarMolecule 1.5 micron flake AL.

The difference is I sensitize it with a special comp I made specifically for that purpose. I call it phosulf. The phosulf is a 1:10 ratio of red phosphorus and sulfur ball milled together with cab-o-sil. The sulfur acts as a buffer for the phosphorus making it more stable. To add a sparking agent, I then mix it with 200 mesh Ti flakes (roughly 20% Ti + 80% phosulf). When I fill the cap just before closing the target, I sprinkle on the sensitizer with a salt shaker. It is not mixed in but on the front inner surface of the target is sensitized.

Doing it this way, I seem to have found a happy medium. They're not too sensitive to be safe but will go with a 22. I know they are not too sensitive because they must be shot with a high velocity 22 and with a solid backing (wood or metal or whatever), otherwise the bullet will pass right thru without ignition. If a lower velocity 22 like a target round is used it won't go off so high velocity 22 ammo is needed.

If you have trouble getting it to go off you can also take your 22 hollowpoints and pack them with the phosulf mix. With that you're almost assured an explosion - even with a small target. We've shot targets as small as beer caps with the stuff and had it work.

No chlorates or magnesium needed, no funky copper compounds - just reliable explosions.

If you don't like it because it sounds like too much of a death mix then consider what you're trying to do in the first place. You'er essentially trying to take an impact comp and lower the activation energy for it to work with a much lower energy round.

As always be safe and enjoy.

Edited by MadMax

What is funky about copper oxide thermite?

A .22 target is really easy. A 1.75" commerial ti salute will pop every time. So a simple 70:30 flash with some coarse ti added. Pretty safe too since those salutes are used all the time and not handled delicately.

A lot easier than red phosphorus which most people can't get.

The copper oxide thermite - the thing I didn't like about it as a target mix is the cloud of copper nano particles it makes. Maybe it's just a personal thing but aside from being really messy, I am always wary of airborn metal particles from a health perspective.

Gotcha. I'm not close enough to exploding targets for that to be an issue. Plus the brown 'smoke' cloud is a bit different. Thing I didn't like is that the report wasn't nearly as impressive as other formulas. Not a terrible thing as it does let you know you were on target.

• 9 months later...

Hello, I am very new and a complete newB to all of this, I found this site because I wanted to make my own Tannerite but I was not sure what it was made of.

As I said a complete newB. Now that I have that part figured out…..

My question is, although I want to use the Tannerite as a target for long range shooting, after reading through this web site I thought it would be nice to add some type of metal to add a little color to the effect. I just do not want to add anything that will cause a reaction, I read in this web site a formula using Potassium Prechlorate 45, NA 45, AL 10. Is this a safe formula?

Thank you for any feedback even if it’s bad.

Adding metal won't add color. If colored targets were easy, they would already be around.

I would just stick to the standard AN exploding targets.

could add depleted uranium metal , and get some groovy orange sparks !!!

I'm pretty sure your joking, but.... Don't.

Depleted uranium is the safe byproduct from nuclear reactors, and if the environmental freaks for reasons i can never fathom wasn't so dead set against processing spent fuel to extract it and produce new usable fuel, it would be the answer to every energy crisis from here to the other side of the working fusion reactor "invention" & creation.

DU is radioactive still, and will remain so pretty much till the end of time, but it's negligible, until you do stuff like set it on fire. Don't even joke about it. The radioactive smoke particles can easily end up in lungs, and once inside living tissue, it's going to cause issues, regardless of how low emitting it is. The guy who decided DU would be a good incendiary round should have his head cut of, en replaced with a solid chunk of lead. He's not going to miss the old head anyway...

Anyway, i'm pretty sure you were joking. DU isn't freely available, as far as i know.

B!

I tried basic 7/3 flash this last weekend and it worked. Used Indian Black head for the aluminum and it was mixed in binary fashion. It was also contained in cardboard tube with chipboard end discs and then shot with a 223. Didn't need any special sauces of any kind.

Mark

• 4 months later...