APC Forum

Binary Impact Sensitive Explosives

ns4life

I made some exploding targets this past weekend. I used 1 oz. d50=3.21um aluminum with 1 lb prilled AN in a 20 oz. soda bottle. I shot them with a 30:30 Win., a 243 Win and a SKS 7.62X39.

They all worked GREAT. I had some friends in a deer camp, 3 miles away that said they were very loud. These things are fun and a lot cheaper than Tannerite.

• 2 years later...

whilst not a binary mixture, some may be interested in this patented composition :-

here in the uk stuff such as tannerite is not allowed, but we do have exploding targets which have "recently" hit the market

called "firebird" airflash targets which ignite with a flash and bang from a .22 air rfle.

here

they are based on the following patent,

PATENT

impact sensitive composition is based on ~48% pot chlorate, 32%charcoal,16%thiorea and 4%accroides resin to granulate

the flash part is ~66%pot perchlorate, 26%aluminium pwd,6%accroides to granulate.

~ 7 parts impact compostion to 3 parts flash composition

not everything is obviusly disclosed in the patent.

i was surprised by the thiourea and chlorate together............wonder what the shelf life is.........must be reasonabe as its on general sale and is classed as 1.4s

dave

This is Joe Huffman's Boomershoot recipe

"1500 Grams Ammonium Nitrate. Prilled, not ground.

400 Grams Potassium Chlorate. 200 mesh powder.

3 tablespoons Ethylene Glycol. Cheap antifreeze with few or no preservatives.

Mix the EG with the AN until thoroughly blended.

Mix in the PC.

It will look very much like mixed curd size cottage cheese.

Seal in airtight containers.

Do not pack! The mixture must be slightly fluffy to detonate easily."

He did a lot of experimentation before arriving at EG as a sensitizer.

Very interesting reading.

He documented all of his experiments here:

Boomershoot experiments

I've been trying to talk my son into attending one of the long range shooting classes prior to the Boomershoot week.

Considerably cheaper and no waiting list.

Cottage cheese: I love it.

Meantime, Tannerite's now offering a binary exploding target for rimfire rounds.

36 bux for twelve targets; ain't had a chance to try it yet as I still like my targets to be measured in cents rather than dollars--but will post specifics when I have them.

Meantime, Tannerite's now offering a binary exploding target for rimfire rounds.

36 bux for twelve targets; ain't had a chance to try it yet as I still like my targets to be measured in cents rather than dollars--but will post specifics when I have them.

Sweet I live fairly close to Dan, I'll have to stop by and pick up a box for testing soon.

Sweet. Please let us know how they perform for you.

Meantime, I'm still not receiving email notifications of replies to topics I'm subscribed to. Anyone else having this problem?

Posted a query about this to the forums/issues/FAQ section. And yes, the button's checked in the Post Options section.

Interesting. I know he has been working on a rimfire version for some time. Years ago I talked with him on possible avenues to up the sensitivity so he could approach rimfire impacts. Good to hear he's still making progress.

I didn't see rimfire reporting targets on the website?

Are they for sale yet?

Don't get me started on that website of his--what a crock.

Believe Andji's his official agent for the sale of these.

Local area code 520-3756. Think they're calling 'em "White Lightning."

I have been shooting Binary targets for three years but paying through the noze for a afternoon of fun with the guys, and the most popular one uses zirconium and says it is a molecular reaction that sets it off. I usually use my AR-15 223 rounds work fine.It has to be a high powered rifle to set it off.

I will try the al/amonium nitrate mix and see how that matches up to the others I have purchased.

I posted on an almost identical idea for my first post.I suppose I shouldnt follow w/a rehash but a friend and I have been contemplating oxyacetylene balloons/plastic containers using M8556 tracers,store bought .22lr tracers($$) or a slightly enlarged HP on a .22lr with a small amt of a tracer comp.A binary primary I have in mind would also work but the 'balloon' would need to be backed by wood or other 'hard' material in order to melt the 'ignitor'/DDT?Heck it may be a .22lr impacting steel melting the lead projectile may generate enough heat?I simply havent checked.On the bright side a couple boxes of M856 have arrived.Anyone know where weather balloons are available!?LOL

Thankfully (Noise issues) i live in an isolated area surrounded by a county of unoccupied natl grasslands which are surrounded by same.Lighter than air hydrogen/oxygen balloon moving tgt?Fire issues w/tracers but no more so than the zirconium-titanium mixes?

Very envious of your private ma deuce/collection! I couldnt even afford a dance with the old gal ! Very cool!

• 4 weeks later...

Quote from the maker of Boomer targets :

Our recipe: The explosives we use are a mixture of ammonium nitrate (a fertilizer), potassium chlorate (used in making matches), and ethylene glycol (common automobile antifreeze).

Is it just me or does this seem like a slight danger of double decomposition .> Ammonium nitrate and potassium chlorate in the presence of water ( in the antifreeze) = The dangerous Ammonium Chlorate.. unsure2.gif

This could create a danger if the mix is handled after mixing and sitting for a length of time.

• 1 month later...

I HAVE TRIED THEY WORK EXCELLENT, FOUND THIS SOME TIME AGO

22 REACTIVE VIDEO INSTRUCT.

Our recipe: The explosives we use are a mixture of ammonium nitrate (a fertilizer), potassium chlorate (used in making matches), and ethylene glycol (common automobile antifreeze).

Is it just me or does this seem like a slight danger of double decomposition .> Ammonium nitrate and potassium chlorate in the presence of water ( in the antifreeze) = The dangerous Ammonium Chlorate.. unsure2.gif

This could create a danger if the mix is handled after mixing and sitting for a length of time.

Edited by getnany

This could create a danger if the mix is handled after mixing and sitting for a length of time

no water in it, ethylene glycol was used which is USED in antifreeze

Edited by Algenco

To be honest, I still wouldn't trust it. There are other ways to get the appropriate sensitivity without having to deal with the even off chance of forming ammonium chlorate.

To be honest, I still wouldn't trust it. There are other ways to get the appropriate sensitivity without having to deal with the even off chance of forming ammonium chlorate.

I agree...100%

Im not sure why this fellow feels the need to get this mix as close to a HE as possible.

I think that the mix not having water is somewhat safer... but there is still a chance of water attacking the AN from the atmosphere, then you face the double decomp issue. Just my opinion ...

I do enjoy the adrenaline rush from reactive targets as well, but do not want to play with "super sensitive" mixtures that have a chance of decomposition.

I agree...100%

Im not sure why this fellow feels the need to get this mix as close to a HE as possible.

Maybe as a booster for a larger charge.

-dag

Maybe as a booster for a larger charge.

-dag

LOL ., Ya .. im not sure that it was what boomer shot was after.... but it would work no doubt.

I would hate to be the guy setting that booster train up. too touchy for my taste. I like predictable compounds ...

• 1 year later...

I've been shooting Tannerite for a couple years using a .243 @ 200 yrds...I would like something that a .22 could trigger though.

If there is no rain tomorrow, I think I'll try a film can of whistle comp up at the local pit, will post the results later.

Just for the record, whistle mix in plastic film cans does not work as a reactive .22 target.

• 4 months later...

I personally use 95/5 mix of Ammonium Nitrate to Black Aluminum. My aluminum is 2 micron, (I think that equals out to ~2500 mesh, right? :lol: ) and 33 grams in an easter egg explodes hard enough to feel it on your chest from 120 yards. I shoot mine with a 22-250, 4250 fps, haven't tried anything else... also have a .17 HMR, 2550 fps, probably would work. They usually only leave a 2.5" mini-crater, but the dirt around them for 5 feet is just aerated.

I never realized CuO thermite was so sensitive to shock, as to ignite from a bullet... However I had a accident with 100g of that stuff 3 months ago, I was out of business for a month, and my face and hands are still pink...

Be warned.

Picture of me at 1 1/2 weeks: http://alkaspace.com...mg=SIMG0008.JPG

Sorry, its a bit blurry...

hello is this powder an or prill? cause i got some targets from sure shot called "magnum" and it was powder an and looks like dark pyro al. also got some of the half pounders from same place , same name. and they are prill an and brite al flake.

Read the fine print and details on the package of your targets. They are 2 diff. types altogether . One ( the 22 type) is a modified version of flash, and the prilled AN targets are only for highpower rifles .

• 2 months later...
Would a 10g flash salute be powerful enough to detonate an NH4NO3/Al mixture? Just curious how much it takes to detonate something like tannerite.

I purchased a couple of binary targets today one high velocity and one 22 target. Took the package of powder out of each one and weighed them. The high velocity target weights were A.N. 400 grams and the package of aluminum was 10 grams making up about 2.5% of the total. On the 22. target the A.N. weighed 375 grams and the aluminum 60 grams for a total of about 17% aluminum. That seemed like a big differance in the fuel from the 22 target to the high velocity target to me. They both were supposed to be 1# targets Also the 22 targets seemed to have something mixed in with the A.N. making it feel a little damp but the prills still rolled around freely. Does anyone have any ideal what this would be. Edited by butch

• 4 weeks later...

Is it just me or does this seem like a slight danger of double decomposition .> Ammonium nitrate and potassium chlorate in the presence of water ( in the antifreeze) = The dangerous Ammonium Chlorate.. :unsure:

This could create a danger if the mix is handled after mixing and sitting for a length of time

no water in it, ethylene glycol was used which is USED in antifreeze

what are the ratios