APC Forum

a newbs progress and question thread

RiderX

Sounds a bit thin, my 3" shells receive 18-24 layers. Does 13-14 fit well in your gun?

Sounds a bit thin, my 3" shells receive 18-24 layers. Does 13-14 fit well in your gun?

looser then id like but they fire just fine , trying to just work on my breaks was wondering if that might be to many layers in unboosted shells , but apparently not

Premature rupture from low pressure in the shell? Try a few more layers?

ill put a few more on it , im about ready to just make a few more nesting hemis and stick with that route though. pasting is kinda rough with my shoulder all tore up

Edited by RiderX

You might want to check your BP, your paper, or your technique if you need 18-24 layers.

3" as a size has a lot of hemi size variability it seems. They regularly seem kind of undersized to me, but it's a crap shoot sometimes.

You might want to check your BP, your paper, or your technique if you need 18-24 layers.

3" as a size has a lot of hemi size variability it seems. They regularly seem kind of undersized to me, but it's a crap shoot sometimes.

my hemis are 2 5/8's od seems like they should be just a lil larger

Ok Mumbles, you got me thinking. I have two different thickness of gum tape, the thicker mics to .009 in. and the thinner mics at .004 in. If I use the thicker stuff it would only take +-14 wraps.

The deciding factor on the amount of wraps for me has always been tube fit, that is unless there is a issue with the break performance.

You can definitely overconfine a shell. This is most evident when using perchlorate based bursts, but it's possible for all varieties I suppose. With KP you can go from decent, to great, to salute without a great deal of effort. This is one of the reasons most people advise not trying to use boosters with it. Dialing in the burst is much easier with a layer or two, that to try to walk the tightrope of balancing pasting and booster without going overboard. It's probably not as big of a deal with straight BP. 18-24 does still seem excessive to me, but as long as the shells work well, that's all that really matters. I personally use somewhere in the 7-9 layer range, though the fits are admittedly not always optimal.

I went the opposite on a couple I started today. I used ¼" D1 stars with a 3/8" phenolic blue ring. I hope to see the blue ring radiating out of a fairly tight glitter burst.

I went the opposite on a couple I started today. I used ¼" D1 stars with a 3/8" phenolic blue ring. I hope to see the blue ring radiating out of a fairly tight glitter burst.

i wish that 3 inch blue with tt ring would have went off facing me , my buddy was standing in the proper place when it went off and he said that the rings was pretty close to perfectly round and it looked good

how much would u guys say im overlifting these 3 inch ball shells ?

im thinking about bringing the time fuse to 2.2 or so seconds instead of 3 seconds

Put a longer tail on one, and find out for sure. Since it goes out, nobody knows what it really is doing when it breaks. But it doesn't really look like it's heading back down in a real hurry, so cutting almost a third of the time might be making it break while heading up...

Put a longer tail on one, and find out for sure. Since it goes out, nobody knows what it really is doing when it breaks. But it doesn't really look like it's heading back down in a real hurry, so cutting almost a third of the time might be making it break while heading up...

maybe this view will help its still heading up when it breaks , its deff got some speed on it ,seems a lil high to me for a 3 inch. with as dry as it gets around here im actually afriad to back off on the lift , id rather just break it much earlier if its to high

Edited by RiderX

That did look really high. I use 1" of 2.6 s/in fuse on 3" cylinders. I lift them hard and blast them open with 5g of hot flash. They don't look small even at that height.

That did look really high. I use 1" of 2.6 s/in fuse on 3" cylinders. I lift them hard and blast them open with 5g of hot flash. They don't look small even at that height.

im using 1.25 inch of just shy of 3 second TF , i split the outer end 1/4 inch for the black match so 1 inch of actual fuse.

in person it was bright and u could see it just fine but it looks small to me for a 3 inch shell

maybe ill try 1 inch long TF with 3/4 inch of actual fuse after splitting and see how one looks should work out to roughly 2.2 seconds instead of 3

How are you breaking these now?

same screen mixed redgum bp im using for lift , no booster, instead of pasting these shells im making my own nesting hemis

6u9NwCz.jpg

Edited by RiderX

Try just 2g of good 7:3 in addition to your regular burst. You should see and hear a marked difference.

im out of perc atm so cant make any booster , i need to order some though as i need it for the hardt blue sulpher stars

ill have to look in my notebook but i think i was using 4 grams in other shells and it kept blowing the stars blind , but i also wasnt priming my stars back then

Then try something like 5ish grams of 2:1:1 kno3:s:black aluminum in a little flash bag, centered in the shell. It won't be quite as violent, and there's a chance you'll see a white flash with some dimmer star compositions, but it should give your breaks a little more "oomph."

Then try something like 5ish grams of 2:1:1 kno3:s:black aluminum in a little flash bag, centered in the shell. It won't be quite as violent, and there's a chance you'll see a white flash with some dimmer star compositions, but it should give your breaks a little more "oomph."

next time i do a ball shell ill give that a shot , going to throw up a few canisters this weekend, and here i am making more shells when i told myself i needed to stay away for a bit till i got other things sorted out lol

next time i do a ball shell ill give that a shot , going to throw up a few canisters this weekend, and here i am making more shells when i told myself i needed to stay away for a bit till i got other things sorted out lol

Probably a sign that pyro is therapy!

Probably a sign that pyro is therapy!

getting out on my dirtbike was how i dealt with stress and other things i have going on , a combination of something i did at work and riding my bike caused me to re-separate my collar bone and shoulder , so i cant ride for the next 4-6 months possibly even longer in a competitive setting , i guess pyro is just taking its place for now

Edited by RiderX