APC Forum

Willow Alternatives [Beware 56K]

Mumbles

Looks like Salix caprea to me, leaves would be nice but the bark is similar to the species I have in my workshop.

The leaves are long and narrow, if that matters.

I'll try to get some leaves from it when I get the time.

Well, it's definitely a willow with that mix of leaves and bark. Yes, leaves will help with final identification. Not matter what the exact species is, it will be fast and very suitable for lift/rockets/whatever you want.

Hello! Have a question: Would this be willow? I wqs told that yes, and I checked out on google, and all singns show that it is. I cut a ton of it, and now I am stripping the bark of.. (Sorry about the quality of the picture it was from my phone)

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3112/wiilowtreevr0.jpg

That's willow indeed. I have seen dozens of them here. (in Holland) Try to find the thicker branches, those are of better quality. (At least, that's what I found)

The reason why there's one big trunk with many small branches out of it, is that 'they' cut off all the branches every x years. Therefor they're called "knotwilg". (Interglot says "pollard willow", is that correct?)

By the way, good quality picture for a mobile phone!

I have some berch charcoal. I know this isn't suppose to go here but go check out my agora.

I read it (LINK) it burns (on another video the test was 2.5ft) .731 if I'm reading it correctly.

How about pulp for charcoal? I work at a pulp mill. We make aspen maple, birch and various mixed softwood pulps. These are chemically bleached and fairly pure and clean sources of cellulose fiber.

Cheers

Most likely. You should get some and test it out.

I'll let the experts answer this for sure, but I wonder if it would be good for much, given it's been bleached.

M

• 2 weeks later...
Forgive me if this is a repetition, but in the U.S., Home depot sells poplar lumber - a LOT of it. I'm guessing you could make some very nice charcoal from the 1 X 2"'s they sell, although it will certainly be pricier than finding your own. But the benefit - it is dried, cut, and ready to be divvied up and placed into your kiln or whatever youl ike to use.

• 2 weeks later...
I found 6-7 fully matured Paulownia tomentosa trees on a walking trail right behind my house! Unlimited source of better than balsa charcoal... I can't describe how happy I am. :)

Lucky you!!!

Be judicious in your trimming, though. You wouldn't want to kill the goose that's laying those golden eggs. ;)

Ya. I take only so much, and I've growing a few small ones of my own. I have been planting them along the trail and near the lake on the trail. The more I can get growing, the less I need to worry about that problem.

I found 6-7 fully matured Paulownia tomentosa trees on a walking trail right behind my house! Unlimited source of better than balsa charcoal... I can't describe how happy I am. :)

In my experience, both balsa and red alder charcoal make slightly faster burning black powder than paulownia charcoal.

Red alder is much easier to find than balsa, so I use it. Red alder smoking chips are readily available here for cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

I have been searched for an alder pictures on google and there is a lot of different pictuers there, so i can know what i am looking for.

Can someone show me a picture of an alder that will make my life easier.

thanks a lot and sorry about my English, AgwA.

• 4 weeks later...
I was just fallowing up on the newspaper charcoal speculation. If you have ever driven past a paper mill, you don't forget the smell. Its pretty bad. I did some research, and both potassium perchlorate and surfer (hence the smell) are used in the pulp binding process. Any speculations on the impact on BP?

That more than likely is too small to be noticed even if you were making bp with paper dust. That crap should get burned off in the cooking process.

Thats what I figured, but I don't like assumptions. I learned their evils the hard way...

• 3 weeks later...

I read a post on pyro society that says coconut fiber makes pretty quick BP and its fluffyness is about the same as balsa. I haven't seen any other attempts at this and wanted to know what you guys thought about it.

Link to post with vid and pics

http://www.pyrosociety.org.uk/forum/index....opic=132&st=885

Suppliers of coconut fiber(coir) that i found (incase anyone wants to try?)

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/coconut-coir-fiber.html

http://www.greenfire.net/hot/F276.html

My dad planted around 20-30 pawlonia trees about 8 years ago so i now conveniently have a good supply of pawlonia. how fast is it in relation to willow? is it faster or equal? I will test it against my Balsa and see which is faster of the two. if anyone in australia is looking for pawlonia charcoal I am selling it in The Agora.

Lol... Is it equal to willow... It owns willow. Its even faster than balsa, but less reactive and therefore more reliable.

Don't make unsubstantiated statements like that.

Pawlonia is up there with willow as far as speed, lifting ability, etc. When getting up to the very hot black powders like these, I feel that the grain size is far more important than which charcoal you use. They will all make excellent lift, end burners, etc.