APC Forum

Willow Alternatives [Beware 56K]

Mumbles

mumbles, i tried that first. construction scraps are turned into charcol. and balsa wood is about a 12 hour drive. i live in the dry jungle so none of that here. i guess the next one i will try will be paulownia i have read that it is very fast and makes good bp. there is a plantation about an hours drive.

i have been making consistant bp it has all been slow. using tec grade kno3 and 99.5 pure sulfer i guess that leaves the charcol.

memo

• 1 year later...

Hate to necropost but I didn't want to start a new thread. Has anyone tried charcoal made from Japanese Honeysuckle or Autumn Olive?? These plants are highly invasive in the midwest, and both species grow rampant in my yard. The wood of the honeysuckle in particular is very light, but the autumn olive is light too. I'm building a TLUD cooker so I will likely test out these woods on my own, but if there is already a consensus I'd be curious to know the result. I'm running low on my stash of Paulownia charcoal and would like a nice replacement charcoal, and although I have access to black willow, I'd rather tear down the weedy trees for charcoal use.