APC Forum

What did you do today in pyro?

dagabu

Glad to see you back, pyroman2498. That was surely some great ERC that you had on the agora a while back.

is 1 inch to big for 6 inch shells? , i should get my 6inch guns and hemi;s delivered this week

It's a good size for cylinder shells. It might be on the larger side for ball shells, which it sounds like you're making. If you use a tailed comp with a good spray/width you'll probably be fine.

Also, I must note, that cylidrical inserts/comets/crossettes/effects really do work better in cylindrical shells.

It's a good size for cylinder shells. It might be on the larger side for ball shells, which it sounds like you're making. If you use a tailed comp with a good spray/width you'll probably be fine.

Also, I must note, that cylidrical inserts/comets/crossettes/effects really do work better in cylindrical shells.

its a good thing i saved a whole bunch of 5 3/4 cardboard tubes then to cut down into canister shells then. i wont get tot he 6 inch stuff till after thanksgiving , right now im working on a bunch of 2.5 and 3 inch stuff for then

made a few purchases over the last couple of days. among those are glass tubing, activated charcoal, stir bars, kaowool, high temp heater tape, a variac and some tcca.

• Like 1

Woah, sounds like someone is planning on pulling out the old chemistry set.
  • Like 1

yeah buddy! i wasn't saying anything but time is getting close. i'm going to ATTEMPT to make hexachlorobenzene. depending on the success of my experimentation, i may even try to make small quantities available.

something else i'm working on right now may be pretty interesting as well but i'll post video as it's available.

i started making the salutes for turkey day today , and also made a big enough batch of blue stars for 3 or 4 6 inch ball shells also for thanksgiving

sHWze8V.jpg

also i just remembered i have 9 lampares left , i dont have any dr-11 tubes on hand , think it safe to fire those out of 15 inch long cardboard tubes?

would be a nice addition to everything we have planned for thanksgiving

Edited by RiderX

I think I posted this in another thread but you should run a wire about 6 ft off the ground and suspend your salutes from it with a string cradle. No debris blown up that way and the salutes won't tear up the wire as long as you have them hanging a couple of feet down.

I think I posted this in another thread but you should run a wire about 6 ft off the ground and suspend your salutes from it with a string cradle. No debris blown up that way and the salutes won't tear up the wire as long as you have them hanging a couple of feet down.

yeah i planned on that , i still think that are to big for that size wise.Me & friends will be about 2x the distance i was away on thanks giving i was behind cover with no ear protection and that still hurt , im going to tone the ground ones down a good bit i think and save these bigger ones for in the air

I just got some coarse sponge Ti in the mail today so I plan on trying a few salutes myself soon. I've not had much use for flash until I needed it to burst my crossettes. I figure if I'm going to be mixing it I may as well make up enough to do some salutes as well. I have a bunch of 1"x3½" tubes I can coat the insides of with sponge Ti and load them up. I've got 1000' or so of cheap visco so I'll be able to do a line of them. Getting excited!

I just got some coarse sponge Ti in the mail today so I plan on trying a few salutes myself soon. I've not had much use for flash until I needed it to burst my crossettes. I figure if I'm going to be mixing it I may as well make up enough to do some salutes as well. I have a bunch of 1"x3½" tubes I can coat the insides of with sponge Ti and load them up. I've got 1000' or so of cheap visco so I'll be able to do a line of them. Getting excited!

im just using spherical -20+40 mesh ti,.I just drop it in ontop after i fill the salute.

10% ti to flash , i tried doing the coating the casing method and i didnt like it as much

that one above was 100 gram salute with 10 grams of ti , would have been atleast 30-35ft diam in the air , its 22 ft between the shipping container and the steel building

Edited by RiderX

I want to try coating the inside of the tube with glue and coating that with sponge and shaking out the excess before adding the flash. I saw some of those at a demo and really liked the big white burst of the sponge Ti.

That seems like it would be pretty cool Patrick.

I want to try coating the inside of the tube with glue and coating that with sponge and shaking out the excess before adding the flash. I saw some of those at a demo and really liked the big white burst of the sponge Ti.

when i tried that in a canister shell i got a column of sparks instead of the dense ball ,im also using spherical stuff to instead of sponge so maybe that will make a difference, however when i did it in a ball shell i got a nice outer ring , but it wasnt the dense spray like i got from dumping it in with the flash

i actually have a video of it somewere ill try to find it , maybe i just did something wrong

Edited by RiderX

Damn, I didn't need to see that snow!

was actually mostly hail , looking forward to the snow though , ive already got my studded dirtbike tires ready

i think u mentioned 1.25 x 3.5 tubes i tried , this one is 1.25 x 2.5 with the sides coated and excess dumped out

compared to just putting 2 grams in with the flash

like i said though im prolly doing something wrong or it just doesnt work with the spherical real well

i have been building my butt off the last 3 days , color shells , report shells , lampares , insert shells , and a couple 3 inch mines , still got lots more to do before tommorow , by the time im done tonight i think i will be out of everything and have to put some big orders in to stock back up

I finished my budget pressure to force gauge. Its a $12 3500 psi gauge connected to a $40 10 ton short bodied ram. The piston has a cross sectional area of 2.3 square inches, so it can read up to 8050 pounds of force. After filling it with hydraulic fluid, and bleeding out air, it held 500 psi overnight without leaks or loss of pressure. Along with my repurposed 10 ton log splitter, I may be ready to tackle rockets on the cheap. Now I just need to take advantage of Caleb's sale for excellent tooling.

Just message me.. I'll hook ya right up. :)

w8g5WWW.jpg

i gave up on finish pasting , the shells dont need it to perform right , and im running out of time , i am however doing 3 layers on the lift side of the lampares so i dont have one go off in the tube again , that wasnt any fun

Edited by RiderX

X please hang your salutes at least a couple feet off the ground. They can throw rocks at you with bullet level speeds.

X please hang your salutes at least a couple feet off the ground. They can throw rocks at you with bullet level speeds.

i plan on it , hanging them 1 ft apart 5 ft off the ground , already strung the cable up

another batch almost done , more lampares , 2 insert canister , and 4 ti salute canisters ,1x 3 inch blue and glitter ball shell

gDEUt3q.jpg

couple more batches to go tonight , ill do lift cups and lift charge as i finish up tonight/tommorow morning

need my last batches of bp to finish drying and i can pull the last of the stars out of the drying box in about 30 mins

Edited by RiderX