APC Forum

What did you do today in pyro?

dagabu

well i cant sleep cause of my shoulder so watched a few vids and learned a new way to paste my ball shells deff much faster then individuual strips top to bottom

now i just need to make a tape dispenser and something to wet the gum tape and ill be set

my new2 id x 3 long 1/8th wall tubes for canister shells got here today along with my 1/4 id tubes for inserts , time to get busy

not sure i can do much with 1/4 x 2 insert tubes other then timed reports but i have a few ideas , prolly wont get to trying those out for a while though

I don't know if any of you have used "machinable wax", but if you have, you know it's precious (Pricey!).

I had to re-do a design of a mold to cast 'dip compound' for comets. The older design used about 4.5lb of machinable wax. The new one uses (ulp!) 9.5 pounds!

The cost of the bulk material isn't the only issue. The other thing is that a certain amount gets 'lost' due to contamination by coolant, etc. So you lose about 3lb - 4lb in such a machining operation.

Let's hope THIS mold works as intended! <grin>

Lloyd

nk6Iqhf.png

QyEh1Ba.png

they work good , unfortunatly i cant show because the camera didnt focus :(

the other 47 tubes are already plugged on one and and all i premade all the time fuse ends , basically jst need to make enough stars and bp to fill them all for now , but i have till thanksgiving so plenty of time, + not working for the next 2 or so weeks.with all that i better get them all done

and the crappy unfocused video

just threw whatever star scraps i had in it to try out the tubing and make sure they would work good before making a bunch of good shells

Edited by RiderX

Was reading a thread on gerbs earlier so had to mix up a couple of lbs of Westech silver comp. I plan on mounting some of these gerbs on a 26" bike rim and use them as drivers. I haven't tried it again since I taped the drivers on rather than using wire and sent ¾" unstuck rockets flying everywhere. I'm going to put a BP+crackle bounce in them for a finale.

Heh! Those 'gerbs' can generate more thrust than you might suspect. Yes, good on tying them down strongly.

I LOVE wheels! Most of the 1lb gerbs I make could (and have, infrequently) serve as wheel drivers.

I _finally_ re-cast that 'dip mold' today. I got some new (in-date) silicone resin, and after having completely re-cut the 'master mold', was able to fill it up with about 1 cu. in. of silicone left over. Only $146 worth of resin, including shipping and tax... (it darned-well BETTER cure properly!).

Lloyd

Actually had to turn on some heat in the shed this evening and they're predicting frost. Glad it was windy and sunny so my gerb comp dried out pretty quickly.

I'm rather...uh..well insulated so I don't mind the cold weather unless it sneaks up on me before I get acclimated. It went from 74 to brrr in a couple of hours this evening with a north wind almost howling. Haven't been in the house to kill the window fans so sleeping might be a chilling experience.

I haven't tried it again since I taped the drivers on rather than using wire and sent ¾" unstuck rockets flying everywhere.

Just one question WHERE'S THE VIDEO?.......Pat

Kind of like filming yourself being attacked by bees.....

for my current use, this actually will be related to pyro. today i got this and at a fantastic deal considering all the functions work:

post-19283-0-12190400-1508949420_thumb.jpg

ooohhhhhhh yeeaaaahhhh!!!!

Nice! I have a much-smaller Corning heat/stir plate, which I use infrequently; but when I need it, it's indispensable!

I recently re-stocked on an assortment of stir magnets, all the way up to 2" long, and down to 3/8".

Lloyd

ya unfortunately it didn't come with any stir bars but those can be had relatively cheaply. i have a pile of silver chloride i want to treat with KOH but without stirring, the conversion is incomplete due to insufficient contact. i missed my lab ware pretty bad after the fire but time to get things moving again!

i like the corning plates and they seem to be the top of the industry standard but the price tag scared me off. those are a bit harder to get a deal this good on.

If you want a real surprise... I got mine FREE! The local Sheriff's Office would bring to us drug-ops confiscated lab ware they knew was 'useful' in a legitimate lab setting (after they'd closed the cases). Yeah... I had my own pyro lab at home, even when I was GM of the plant. We didn't have one at the plant, so I got the 'freebies'.

Over a decade, I got ALL sorts of nice (and some new) beam balances, the stirrer, and lots of glassware, including a bunch of different beakers, and a nice glass-jacketed distilling column I seldom use, but couldn't do without when I need it. Then, a friend up-nawth sent me yet another different style of distilling tube that has proven useful, in addition to the first one.

This Corning plate was one of the free acquisitions!

Lloyd

Ru9m2VJ.jpg

I suddenly have a craving for ice cream.

• Like 1

It's a shell...it's a mine...it's got inserts...its a shminserts! <G>

It's a shell...it's a mine...it's got inserts...its a shminserts! <G>

as much as id like to say it worked the way i planned i cant , it was not supposed to have a mine, but it looked good so ill take it

I suddenly have a craving for ice cream.

i should have put fins in the lift cup

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/medium/WW2_M69_60MM_Mortar_Round.JPG

building try #2 right now , p[probably wont be able to shoot it till tomorrow though

ive also got my attempt at a sort of jelly fish shell to shoot as well

ps pasting these is relaxing , much nicer then ball shells

Edited by RiderX

Got my 3"- 10 tube rack from Platte River today and actually have enough stuff made up to fill it exactly once! Got a ¼" rocket set with tubes and spollette tooling from Ned Gorski and am having a ball with the little dudes. I've pressed Sali whistle and nozzled BP so far and am going to try some BP/whistle mix in both configurations tomorrow. Wanted to press some 1 and 3 lb rockets for tomorrow but I can't get the powder granulated due to impending rain. I've got enough to press up a gross of these little boogers though.