APC Forum

What did you do today in pyro?

dagabu

Got my 3"- 10 tube rack from Platte River today and actually have enough stuff made up to fill it exactly once! Got a ¼" rocket set with tubes and spollette tooling from Ned Gorski and am having a ball with the little dudes. I've pressed Sali whistle and nozzled BP so far and am going to try some BP/whistle mix in both configurations tomorrow. Wanted to press some 1 and 3 lb rockets for tomorrow but I can't get the powder granulated due to impending rain. I've got enough to press up a gross of these little boogers though.

let me know how u like those lil bottle rockets , ive been eyeballing some tool sets

I _almost_ finished up some comet dipping tools for a client, to ship Monday or Tuesday (two unexpected parts and one expected part yet to make), and then spent 3.5 hours on the roof laying down then nailing and tarring roll-roofing to cover up a section of roof STILL leaking after the hurricane! (I PATCHED that section! But it didn't cure the leak... so "all-over" is the solution.)

Tomorrow, I make a guard for a power switch, shorten one base-plate so the damned thing will fit in the box, and a holder for the dipping racks.

And Wednesday... OUT TO 4F!!! (the 25th anniversary meeting for FPAG. YEEHAW!)

Lloyd

I had hoped to make it down there and my brother was going to let me take his truck with camper but a shot of Synovisc and steroids to the knee took the funds down to the NOPE level.

I can't seem to get the Mrs. to understand that I need a vacation... I mean... WE need to vacation at a huge lake in southern Florida. ...

Tell her they smoke the skeeters out every evening and all the gators are tame.

Oh, Petey! A vacation on a LARGE lake in southern Florida is JUST the thing a marriage needs to 're-energize' it! You GOTTA talk her into it! She'll be a 'new woman' afterwards!

(Is 'new woman' a synonym for a wife who kills her spouse after four days in a cow pasture with only porta-potties for facilities, and the nearest town almost 15 miles away? <BSEG>)

Lloyd

• Like 1

Oh, Petey! A vacation on a LARGE lake in southern Florida is JUST the thing a marriage needs to 're-energize' it! You GOTTA talk her into it! She'll be a 'new woman' afterwards!

(Is 'new woman' a synonym for a wife who kills her spouse after four days in a cow pasture with only porta-potties for facilities, and the nearest town almost 15 miles away? <BSEG>)

Lloyd

Wait Wait! I got it! Call it a "Bonding Experience". Women love that kinda stuff.

Those little guys sure are fun aren't they OM!

Oh yeah! I'm going through tubes and sticks (Thanks again!) like corn through a goose. I was afraid this longish spindle would pop a Sali whistle rocket but the tubes are so thick walled it works fine.

Rolled kraft paper for 12 cylinder shells,

Choped some willow for upcoming retorting,

Spiked 4 shells with veline green- Al/Ti illuminant core,

Made a bunch of spolettes,

Nearly finished my bp coated rice hulls,

Nice active week end

Took my new 3" rack out to a friend's farm to try out some shells. I had a dozen ball shells along with a few cylinders and mines. Though I used too large a size of stars in a few which gave a sparse break it was still a good burst. My host also gave me a rack of 4" and 6" guns along with a pile of single HDPE tubes. Some need new bungs but I can order those pretty cheap.

It was a great evening.

Put together 2- 4 inch ball shells and one 3. The 1 4 inch is my first attempt at a willow to white strobe shell. And the 3 is made with my new paulonia bp and hardts sulphur blue stars. The other 4 is a dump truck shell. They turn out to be my favorites most of the time. Hopefully I will be able to shoot them off in a week or 2.

I plan on spending m Christmas bonus building me a star roller but won't be able to try it until spring since it is miserable here in the winter. When its not cold it will rain and I still need a drying box for the homestead. I already miss the sun and it's not gone yet.

I SHIPPED (yay!) that 'emergency project' that had to go before I leave for 4F, gassed-up the car, broke the mower (dumping SEVEN gallons of gas on the ground!), fixed it, mowed six acres, then packed. All I have left to load is my douche bag and my beer!

4F-- HERE I COME! <grin>

Lloyd

Edited by lloyd

i plugged one end of 42 2.5inch canisters today , ordered some 6 inch guns and hemis , along with a host of other stuff. i plan on spending the next week or 2 making star's, bp , inserts , and then a mad dash to assemble a ton of shells for our thanksgiving day celebration

good friends

food

and then the real fun starts

skeet shooting , gun range , tannerrite targets and fireworks , all on the farm

about 50 of us get together and we all bring assorted guns , and ammo , basically we lay everything out on tables and anyone can shoot anything they want to

i gota remember to give the sheriff's office a heads up this year apparently we went a lil overboard with the tannerrite last year lol prolly dbl or tripple it this year

Took my recently acquired 4" rack apart to check the bungs for integrity and all is in fine shape. The guy who gave it to me had stored it inside and actually cleaned them of debris after use. Unfortunately the 5" and 6" guns weren't cared for in the same manner and will all neednew plugs.

made a bunch of disks today, 40 1 1/2 inch 40 2 1/4 and 8-8 inch rolled and cut 50 spolettes, also made up 10 spolettes timed at 3. making the small disks is not fun for me

Came home today and loaded,pasted and primed a dozen ½" D1 crossettes with varying mixes of whistle and BP to try and get them to break right. I also have around as many pressed up with Ofca White that I think I'll burst with flash just to get the super bright POOF.

• Like 1

Came home today and loaded,pasted and primed a dozen ½" D1 crossettes with varying mixes of whistle and BP to try and get them to break right. I also have around as many pressed up with Ofca White that I think I'll burst with flash just to get the super bright POOF.

jealous i love crossettes , dont have the tooling to make any

The ½" crossettes are a bit of a pain so I'd recommend going for at least a ¾" pump when you decide to get one. Pumping those boogers one at a time takes hours to press up a pound of comp. I try to only work on those when it's too nasty outside to do anything else.

The ½" crossettes are a bit of a pain so I'd recommend going for at least a ¾" pump when you decide to get one. Pumping those boogers one at a time takes hours to press up a pound of comp. I try to only work on those when it's too nasty outside to do anything else.

is 1 inch to big for 6 inch shells? , i should get my 6inch guns and hemi;s delivered this week

Rider,

I made the first 22mm crossette tool I'd ever owned with a drill press and a couple of files. That one had a square cavity... and I never looked back. Since then, I've made molds capable of making 81 crossettes per stroke (with a mill, yes), but I never changed the design. Just stick with "what works".

It 'worked' well enough that I sold almost 150K of them to major theme parks -- and they loved them.

Although it takes milling equipment to make 'pretty' tools, it doesn't take fancy tools to make functional ones.

Lloyd

Rider,

I made the first 22mm crossette tool I'd ever owned with a drill press and a couple of files. That one had a square cavity... and I never looked back. Since then, I've made molds capable of making 81 crossettes per stroke (with a mill, yes), but I never changed the design. Just stick with "what works".

It 'worked' well enough that I sold almost 150K of them to major theme parks -- and they loved them.

Although it takes milling equipment to make 'pretty' tools, it doesn't take fancy tools to make functional ones.

Lloyd

i still havent goten the lathe moved into the shop yet or id go for making my own , i need to pick up some aluminum plate so i can make my own star plates, though i have thought about building a star roller instead , if i do make the star plate im going to make the pins thread in so i can replace pins easilly if the need ever arises

Edited by RiderX

Made a substantial purchase of chemicals and supplies to start getting back into things :) !
  • Like 1