APC Forum

Extracting Ascorbic acid from Vitamin c tablets

Milyan720

That's reference is as bad as one from Wikipedia. It does not support your statement at all.

From what you have mentioned you want to make some fuel. I'm suggesting you do some research and you will find something a lot more useful than C6H8O6. Just trying to help.

I know I just got into pyro

I know there's better types of fuel I'm just playing around

I'm still learning

I understand this. By being new, you need to stick to established formulas and methods which are appropriate for beginners. BP, BP based stars and BP based devices like rockets and fountains are the best place to learn. No substitutions, or else you are setting yourself up for failure or injury. Early successes help the learning process, but those come by starting simple and by attempting appropriate projects.

I know I just got into pyro
I know there's better types of fuel I'm just playing around
I'm still learning

There's nothing wrong with learning.

What's wrong is stealing from your parents' medicine cabinet, tool chest, etc., and trying to make substances that could kill or cripple you, and burn your family's house down.

So, here's a better link: Learn about ascorbic acid. Then come back and tell us what you learned, and what you hope to accomplish with your learning.

If your answers are satisfactory, we'll teach you more. If you don't answer, or your answers show an extreme lack of maturity, you are likely to continue to hit a brick wall here.

-- Paravani

Edited by Paravani

Im not stealing from my parents, they trust me ive told them. How do you think I got the kno3 , my parents brought it I don't have an eBay account or a PayPal account. They always keep an eye on me and sometimes my dad even helps. My mum gets me vitamin c tables that are about to expire in a few months from the hospital she works at. Edited by Milyan720
  • Like 1

Tell mum you need sugar instead... Or charcoal and sulfur. Making BP is going to be a lot cheaper then this project...

B!

When i was in Australia i saw sulfur at local garden shop in 25 kg bag free to buy by everyone and also vitamin c powder at amc. So why is it so hard for you to jzst do it the proper way? For charcoal just make your own.

I really don't don't want to buy a 25 kilo bag, ill only make small amounts. Ill have a look at amc for ascorbic acid.

This kid is going to end up hurting himself or someone else, it's clearly that he really, really needs to read a lot more about pyrotechnics, I mean... using coal to make bp, really? forget about making golden powder and start reading some books, articles etc, I could have saved me some burns (nothing serious, but it was painful) if I would have taken the time to read some more before even attempting to start making my own fireworks. be smart and be safe

• Like 1

This kid is going to end up hurting himself or someone else, it's clearly that he really, really needs to read a lot more about pyrotechnics, I mean... using coal to make bp, really? forget about making golden powder and start reading some books, articles etc, I could have saved me some burns (nothing serious, but it was painful) if I would have taken the time to read some more before even attempting to start making my own fireworks. be smart and be safe

ASD, I agree.

Tell mum you need sugar instead... Or charcoal and sulfur. Making BP is going to be a lot cheaper then this project...

B!

I have an even better idea:

Milyan, Tell your parents that before you go any further in fireworking, you need protective gear, including a face shield, safety glasses, a welder's jacket, and leather gloves. Tell them that your friends on AmateurPyro refuse to help you further until they see a picture of you wearing all your PPE, with Mum and Dad standing with you so we know that it's okay with them for us to help you, and that they WILL make sure you WEAR YOUR PPE not just now and then, but EVERY TIME YOU WORK WITH FIREWORKS, FLAMMABLES, OR EXPLOSIVES.

Got that?

Now show them this post.

-- Paravani

Edited by Paravani
  • Like 2

My parents don't like me taking pictures of my self and posting it on websites like that. I don't even know who you guys are and I'm guess you guys are much much much older than me, if I upload picture of me then everyone has acess to it. I'd be happy to take pictures of ppe that I wear ( I will place everything I have on a table). But I won't post pictures of anyone.

Good thinking, Milyan. Glad you did not take the bait, lad. Posting pictures of just your PPE would be somewhat reassuring. And making sure your parents are informed of your exact activities is very important to those of us here concerned with your safety.

My parents don't like me taking pictures of my self and posting it on websites like that. I don't even know who you guys are and I'm guess you guys are much much much older than me, if I upload picture of me then everyone has acess to it. I'd be happy to take pictures of ppe that I wear ( I will place everything I have on a table). But I won't post pictures of anyone.

Certainly wise... except that, if you actually had all of the PPE listed, you'd know that no one who doesn't know you could possibly recognize you when you're wearing all of it!

I don't think we should settle for pictures of just the gear in this case. It's too easy for Milyan to find photos just like that elsewhere on the 'net -- even right here! No one's asking for faces or names -- those can be blocked out or blurred with any decent editing program (Irfanview is free and good) -- but I, for one, am going to insist on some level of proof that his parents know he's been trying to make low explosives (and talking about making high explosives) here online.

If he can't come up with some proof of what he claims is true, then he can look for bad advice elsewhere.

-- Paravani.

Edited by Paravani

Okay Milyan, if you show us your gear with "Milyan" written on a piece of paper underneath it (unless your an expert with Photoshop) this should reassure the doubters. Or, as suggested, obscure your facial features with gear in place. Or have someone on this site PM you their phone number and have your parents call them. Or have an affidavit signed by a local magistrate stating that your parents are aware... Or do like everybody else here and do your best to demonstrate that you are mature enough to handle the advice you request. Since I have already obtained your IP address, my old counterparts at the NSA will tell me who are by tomorrow, and I will know as much about you as Father Christmas does. So behave. Where is MrB when I need him?

• Like 1

Okay Milyan, if you show us your gear with "Milyan" written on a piece of paper underneath it (unless your an expert with Photoshop) this should reassure the doubters. Or, as suggested, obscure your facial features with gear in place. Or have someone on this site PM you their phone number and have your parents call them. Or have an affidavit signed by a local magistrate stating that your parents are aware... Or do like everybody else here and do your best to demonstrate that you are mature enough to handle the advice you request. Since I have already obtained your IP address, my old counterparts at the NSA will tell me who are by tomorrow, and I will know as much about you as Father Christmas does. So behave. Where is MrB when I need him?

LOL! Wish I could like this twice!

;-D

-- Paravani

Hindsight, I really, really, really LOVE your signature right now:

It is impossible to make things foolproof, because fools are so ingenious.

It somehow seems so appropriate to this thread!

;-D

-- Paravani

Where is MrB when I need him?

Backtracking an IP that keeps showing up in my firewall. Oh, when you typed this i was most likely actually asleep, but for the point of argument. The IP looks benign, but i added it to the list of thing SNORT should keep an eye on.

Anyway, you were saying? Oh. Paranoid stuff. Yeah. Pictures are sort of unsafe. I wouldn't do it, which is much of the reason for why i don't post photos of things. I can sketch stuff, and put it somewhere, but thats about the extent of it.

If people are worried about someones identity, age, and the risks involved, a picture where who ever cant be identified isn't going to help a whole lot. A picture with the gear displayed, something with a recent date (newspaper, bills or invoices, stuff like that) and a hand signature could be seen as reasonably harmless, until you figure that it will actually help anyone watching the image figure out your location. Plastic gloves and a pad with a digital image on it wont do, for sure.

I'd actually suggest giving away your over all area of location, like mine is in Sweden. And then have someone volunteer to be your means of age, and parental advisory control, give your parents their number, and have a call made. We cant know for sure that someone wouldn't rent an actor, or even be able to trick someone into believing it's your parents calling, but in reality it's just you, but through the means of calling back at a later time, we can eliminate parts of that. And if someone is elaborate enough to set up a scam just to get information on a topic such as this.. then you don't really need the information on this topic. You'd figure it out on your own.

Anyway, i have a feeling this isn't going to end well, so i'm going back in to hiding.

B!

• Like 2

So your saying that the ppe isnt good enough or the picture isnt enough? Ill take a video of me hitting different objects proving that they are real I might even write my name on something in the video, if you want.

The glass beaker are to reassure you guys that im not using my mom's coffee mugs

Edited by Milyan720
  • Like 1

Milyan, what are the glass beakers for?

That PPE is not enough. Rubber gloves and a dust mask are fine for screening comp and weighing chemicals. When milling, ramming / pressing, and firing product, you will want more. Leather gloves will help protect your hands from burns, eye protection should be self explanatory, face protection like a shield will help protect your face from burns. When firing product, a hard hat and ear protection is wise in addition to long sleeves and pants made from fire resistant material ( 100% cotton is just fine) boots, gloves and eye protection.
  • Like 1

Milyan, what are the glass beakers for?

His post in the introductions said it all...I'm sure it will get edited now.

I'll help you but not give you, but I'm not spoon feeding you. find a solvent that will dissolve the product that you wish to obtain but leaving the binder,crush the tablets and dissolve into your solvent the powdered tablets , filter the solution and that should leave the solution that you want , know I will leave the rest of what you need to do up to you figuring it out

*this probably isn't the best way but I found it works with purifying other Otc things so give it a shot

• Like 1

Thanks pyroman, if is do that ill end up with some sodium ascorbate in solution, but I guess that's the best I can do. I will get some leather gloves but a face shield might not be easy to find, when test a comp I use about 0.2 grams with a fuse inside a pot with a glass lid. I haven't started milling ,ramming or pressing my product yet. If I can find a face shield on ebay I'll buy it. Edited by Milyan720
  • Like 1